Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking into making my own traction bars. Im going to use bushings on the rear end and heim rod ends on the front.

Can anyone give some insight on tubing lenght, thickness, diameter etc.

Thanks
-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
In general, what I have seen is DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) Tubing with a 0.120 Wall Thickness through many mfg I've been searching lately for parts. Tubes have to be smooth inside for the Rubber or Urethane Bushings to work well. Length varies greatly, and needs angled inward to go from the Axle Plate to the Frame. Go with Greaseable Bolts on the Rubber Bushings and Heims if you can. Grade 8 is sometimes used, but Grade 5 is also used. Lookup "Warrior" brand at some 4x4 shops for the Bolts already made. Grade 5 is easy to drill if you have a lathe, or even in a vise if needbe. "Never Seize" at a Minimum for all Bolt/Bushing surfaces. Check Energy Suspensions or Prothane for a variety of Bushings. I found it difficult (impossible) to find just a short piece (3") of DOM Tube I wanted in order to rebuild a broken End Link on some Sway Bars, and had to go back to the OEM of the Sway Bar. I'm awaiting word on replacement cost now. Even though it is a weight penalty, I would increase Wall Thickness on the Ends (Bushing "Outer Tube") to increase durability. Use 1/4" Thick Steel for the Welded brackets if you can.

A set made of Stainless Steel Tubing would be really nice! I'd also like to see Traction bars made of 1" x 2 " or 1-1/2"x3" Rectangular Tubing instead of Round. Transitioning nicely to the Weld In Heim Sockets (Nuts) could be a bit troublesome. I just may do this someday, just the Bar Assembly. I'd be satisfied with SMAW with Stainless Steel Rods, it can come out looking pretty nice. I no longer have GTAW available. I recently added Flat Bar to my PRG Bars; mainly for appearance purposes, and am waiting on new bushings to arrive.

Somebody was customizing Sway Bars for their lowered Titan a few years ago, and had difficulty with typical bars. Height or Vertical Angle was the issue. The Direction of Force applied to the Axle was not cut and dry.

Reactions: borobulker

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So im looking into making my own traction bars. Im going to use bushings on the rear end and heim rod ends on the front.

Can anyone give some insight on tubing lenght, thickness, diameter etc.

Thanks
-Dave

My suggestion is:

make me some too!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that was extremely informative. I was reading that 44" as a general overall length for our titans. For a king cab it should mount in the middle of the rear cab mounts.

Im planning on using gmaw. I have gtaw but i have yet to set it up and order gas.

I also already have my rod ends and tube adapters for the front. Im still looking for rear bushings.

It will all come together shortly. As of now im dealing with the common hub bearing issues at 47k miles.

My suggestion is:

make me some too!
Well see how my first set goes and possible will get a couple built at reasobable prices. Imho 500 bucks it far to much for traction bars but we'll see.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks that was extremely informative. I was reading that 44" as a general overall length for our titans. For a king cab it should mount in the middle of the rear cab mounts.

Im planning on using gmaw. I have gtaw but i have yet to set it up and order gas.

I also already have my rod ends and tube adapters for the front. Im still looking for rear bushings.

It will all come together shortly. As of now im dealing with the common hub bearing issues at 47k miles.

Well see how my first set goes and possible will get a couple built at reasobable prices. Imho 500 bucks it far to much for traction bars but we'll see.

-Dave

Good luck man.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts