Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if any are the advantages of a prefab exhaust like Banks and JBA vs. ones that local muffler shops sell? I know it sounds obvious but they seem to look like the same thing.

On my last truck I had a magnaflow muffler with 2.5" tubing and they removed the extra cats. I think I paid like 200 bucks for everything. The pre-fabbed ones are like 3x the price and im wondering why they are different? Couldnt you just take a picture of the JBA/Banks/et al and have em match it?
thanks!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
The advantage to a bolt-on cat back is that they are all mandrel bent, and most are stainless. You get constant diameter bends, rather than the crush bends a shop would do. Now, this is most shops (mandrel benders are very expensive.) Some custom jobs could be made with pre-bent tube that is cut and welded together, again this is pretty expensive. Most shops use aluminized steel, which will eventually rust.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mandrel bent exhaust/tubing has less 'bend reduction' than a crush bend. The standard for bend reduction is no more than 15%. With special tooling and it is possible to obtain bend reduction below 10%.

The lower the bend reduction the better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts