Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine has a hole in it and grease is coming out of it. Does anyone have a "how to" thread on how to replace the boot?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone??? bump

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
you gotta take off the half shaft to get the new boot on...therefore....pita. I had the dealership do mine which of course was expensive. idk if there are any write ups on here. maybe as "colten k" he might've done his on his own.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you gotta take off the half shaft to get the new boot on...therefore....pita. I had the dealership do mine which of course was expensive. idk if there are any write ups on here. maybe as "colten k" he might've done his on his own.
Did you have them replace the entire cv joint or just the boot. I found out the labor is approximately $130.00 bucks just for the boot itself and additional $20.00 for the part for a total of $150.00. I was told they could replace the entire CV joint for $220.00, so I may just have them replace it. What do ya think, boot or the entire joint?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
When my tear, I'm going to buy a rebuilt CV for $65 to $85, replace, and return the original for the core charge. Probably about an hour, as you have to separate the upper ball joint.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Easy to do. The easiest way:

1. Remove cv axle from truck
2. Cut straps off outer boot and side back
3. Place axle in a vice with the outer pointing down
4. Hold outer and strike the back of the outer joint with a hammer. It should pop off the shaft.
5. Remove/ replace boots and repack with grease

YouTube it. It's not hard.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
There ya go. Straight from the Service Manual. :cheers:

Attachments

Reactions: jimmy120

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If you are going to DIY this, you might jack up the front end, remove the wheels, and carefully inspect the ball joints and control arm bushings, prior to ordering parts, as it would be a good time to replace any control arms with worn out bushings or ball joints. And of course you don't want to pay any "surprise" stealership prices. Phone call: "Hey, we have your truck up on the rack, with the CV out, and noticed that _____________ are bad. Do you want us to go ahead and replace those, or would you prefer to pay duplicate labor at a later time?"

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done deal. Found an ASE certified mechanic to slap it on for $45 bucks. Spent a total of $125.00 installed. Thanks for your posts.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If you are going to DIY this, you might jack up the front end, remove the wheels, and carefully inspect the ball joints and control arm bushings, prior to ordering parts, as it would be a good time to replace any control arms with worn out bushings or ball joints. And of course you don't want to pay any "surprise" stealership prices. Phone call: "Hey, we have your truck up on the rack, with the CV out, and noticed that _____________ are bad. Do you want us to go ahead and replace those, or would you prefer to pay duplicate labor at a later time?"
Just replaced everything as well; u joints, bushings, tie rods, cv boots/joints for this reason.

Didn't make sense to go back in once you're already in.

Don't forget the alignment...

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
When my tear, I'm going to buy a rebuilt CV for $65 to $85, replace, and return the original for the core charge. Probably about an hour, as you have to separate the upper ball joint.
I just order new ones when mine get torn boots... I buy from Rock Auto, they are NIB and the last time I ordered, I bought 2 for a total of $110 shipped... I swapped both out, and throw them in the T when I head out off roading in case I need to do field repairs... I managed to shatter one halfshaft's interior housing the last time I was playing around...

http://cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=60-6238

·
Registered
558 Posts
i wish i would've read this post sooner. go to carquest to get ur replacement boot. if u get the same one from the dealership it will just tear again. the boot is too small and uc an see where its in a bind. the lift puts it in a bind. carquest cv boot is bigger and a lifetime waranty. mine tore i went to dealership to replace and it tore again then i researched and another member had gone to carquest. so thats where i went and well 2 years later no tear :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts