Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently picked up a 04 Titan Crew Cab Endurance V8 4x4 (about 2weeks now) has 163k on it

A little back story: The day I bought it, the drive home was an hour long, After the drive, I got into town and let the truck idle for a bit at home as I looked it over a bit more. One thing I noticed it had upon purchase was a slight exhaust leak that seemed to go away a bit as you drove it more. Maybe 10min tops I let it idle, When I got back in to go for a drive, it started to hesitate on acceleration and the CEL started flashing, it continued on ..everytime I made a complete stop and tried to accelerate, I got hesitation then a constant CEL. What a great start to a new truck right?!

The next day I scanned the codes and retrieved a Cyl 5 Misfire code, and noticed distinctive raw gas smell from the tail pipe. I cleared the code, then switched cyl 3 coil pack with cyl 5, I noticed no difference, But I no longer had a CEL or hesitation. The exhaust leak sound remained. A few days later I bought a new coil pack and put it on just to be sure, during the process I checked the plugs and saw nothing concerning, and I also Ohm'd the coil packs with all same results showing they are good.

So far the CEL hasent come back on, nor has it started to hesitate, however I work in town so I maybe put 5-8miles on per day, I dont think it runs long enough.

I tried to find the exhaust leak witch sounds like its coming from the driver side of the engine, I could not source anything by listening for it, feeling for it or any visual soot.

Now in my various searching every night I see a common problem of Cat converters going bad on these trucks.. reaking havoc on the motors.
So I am wondering, how probable is it I have a clogged cat on the driver side, thats causing a misfire and possibly blowing out the exhaust gasket at the manifold?

Is It possible, has anyone cut the cats off the stock manifold and welded straight pipes thru? I have a shop, I have the experience, but this is now my daily vehicle and cant chance attempting this (cause metal is to thin etc)with no luck and having to wait for parts. My other concern is loudness, I prefer this truck to stay quiet, will removing the cats increase its tone significantly? what have people done to quiet them down?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would bet you have cracked exhaust manifolds and probably some clogged cats to go with it. It happens to all titans, factory flaw from nissan. JBA longtube headers and an uprev tune is a good start. I would call the guys at Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129

1 - 2 of 2 Posts