Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Titan! It's a 04 crew cab LE 4X4 and after 1 week I'm still in love with it!!

My first tank of gas was mainly highway driving and I got a whopping 10.75 mpg so I decided to check cylinder pressure (among other things) to make sure everything was good to go there.

After doing a pressure check, I found that all of the passenger side cylinders were at a consistent 180 on the dot.

I found the driver side cylinders as follows:

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about why the driver side would be so inconsistent while the passenger side was all dead on at 180?

Follow-up question: Do you think it's something I should even worry about until whatever it is fully "goes out?"

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm pretty sure something already "went out".....Like your bank 1 catalytic converter. It most likely disintegrated and got sucked back into the engine. Hopefully your manifolds were already replaced, saving you the expense of purchasing them.
Unfortunately, your cylinder pressures are well beyond a 10% differential, which means your engine may be toast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.. That's horrible news.

The guy I bought it from said that he replaced the exhaust manifolds last year & also the engine mounts.

LUBECAKES - What's the first thing you would do if it was your truck with these symptoms?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Is the truck lifted with big tires? Because that will give you 11 mpg too.
But Lubecakes is correct. You do have a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the truck lifted with big tires? Because that will give you 11 mpg too.
But Lubecakes is correct. You do have a problem.

Yes, it has 35's with a 6 inch lift. I knew that it wouldn't get 15+ I just wasn't expecting 10 on the highway.

Thinking through it, LUBECAKES theory does make sense.. Crap got sucked in the cylinders and left inconsistent scarring on the cylinder walls making an inconsistent pressure depending on the severity of the scaring..

I was just hoping for something simpler like a head gasket leak, or valve seats or anything but the need for a new engine.

Paying cash for the truck left me pretty poor haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty low mileage compared to many of the Titans on here. I'm a lurker, don't get on here every day but this is the first engine failure on the Titan that I've heard of (if that's what it is). Did the previous owner do regular oil changes?
Yes, he claimed himself a mechanic that was just starting up a shop & that he was selling because he needed money to put into his shop.

He told me how important the oil changes are on these trucks and to quote him exactly he said:

"These trucks are oil pressure driven trucks, so if you're going to ignore anything make sure that you don't ignore oil changes"

He said that I have 2,000 miles left till it's due for it's next change.

He just ran conventional oil in it because that's what the owner before him did.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, he claimed himself a mechanic that was just starting up a shop & that he was selling because he needed money to put into his shop.

He told me how important the oil changes are on these trucks and to quote him exactly he said:

"These trucks are oil pressure driven trucks, so if you're going to ignore anything make sure that you don't ignore oil changes"

He said that I have 2,000 miles left till it's due for it's next change.

He just ran conventional oil in it because that's what the owner before him did.

I've heard of a few people going 8-10k miles on synthetic oils with the blessing of blackstone labs so i can't speak to that. If he's a mechanic and you bought it recently I'd try to get him to fix it for a real good price. About all I can think of :-/

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
.. That's horrible news.

The guy I bought it from said that he replaced the exhaust manifolds last year & also the engine mounts.

LUBECAKES - What's the first thing you would do if it was your truck with these symptoms?
I would try to figure out if it's the valves or the cylinders, or just run it!

Reactions: bigandtalltruck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another thing to look into. If oil pressure ever dropped enough, the timing chain may have jumped a to tooth on the drivers side can, those numbers look suspect.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Caveat Emptor......experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. I too learned the hard way many years ago that a used vehicle needs to go to a mechanic before purchase and it must go onto an engine analyzer along with all the other physical checks to determine whether you're being skinned or not.

Most AAA clubs have a relationship deal with local reputable shops to get a pre-purchase inspection for around 90 bucks. It's definitely worth it because you can usually come away with something to Irish the price that much and break even if you buy. It's definitely worth it if you come away with something that makes you walk away from a turd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing to look into. If oil pressure ever dropped enough, the timing chain may have jumped a to tooth on the drivers side can, those numbers look suspect.
Do you mean if it's ever dropped that low in the past? Right now when I drive it the oil pressure looks to be where it should - right in the middle of the gauge - Ever once in a while it will dip a bit. But are you thinking that when the exhaust manifolds went out dropped the pressure really low and knocked off the timing chain?

End result would be that my valves are opening at the wrong time causing for a drop in compression... Right?

If I did a compression test and saw those numbers, I would have followed up with a wet compression test.
To do a wet compression test would I just run the same test again but put a bit of oil in the cylinder to see if my pressure rises at all?

I'm sorry if any of these questions are elementary. I'm a backyard mechanic only by necessity so I learn as I go.

Thank you for your help with this.

Follow-up question: I started engine shopping for used engines and I found that a lot of used engines quote psi by saying things like 150-180 or 180-200. Noticing that they are quoting a 10-30 psi range do you think that I might just be getting such poor mileage because of my tires and there's nothing severe wrong?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The oil pressure timing thing is too unlikely to be a possibility here, and you would have timing related codes, plus a bad running engine etc.

If you're looking at a used engine with more than a 10 psi difference across all 8 cylinders, keep looking! I believe they should be at about 190 new.

Your gas mileage is mostly a lift kit and tire thing. My Titan only musters about 15 average mpg with stock tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the way I see it I've got three options.

1. Sell it and pass my problem to someone else.

2. Replace the engine and have peace of mind that everything is running as it's supposed to.

3. Run it till it won't go anymore THEN replace it.

I'm morally against choice 1.

Choice 2 doesn't make financial sense right now where the truck runs just fine.

Choice 3 it is! Hopefully you don't see a post from me for quite some time asking for the best place to buy a used engine!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and time! I'll post an update down the road if/when something major happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
#3 is good. The motor is working harder due to lower compression and bigass tires. When the cylinders get below 100 PSI then it won't run for a bit and you'll have to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Yeah you are going to need an engine and you are not the first with this problem. So far what I have seen is the Titan engine is pretty much bullet proof EXCEPT for a catalytic converter failure. That is pretty much nails in the coffin. I bet the previous owner knew it had this problem and didn't hesitate to make it someone else's problem.
Don't know what cash you have in it but personally I wouldn't put any more money in the truck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts