Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced the top of their dash board getting tacky in the hot sun? I happen to be a carpenter so I drag alot of dust in and out of my truck and when the dash gets tacky it becomes a huge pain to get any dust off the dash even after its cooled down. I could always get a window shade and what not but I don't know that it would help much during the hotter times of the year. I really don't like the idea of a dash cover. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. (I'm talkin like low 90's and hotter)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
probably what they sprayed on it to clean it -- maybe armor all, or something similar? or maybe they used a harsh chemical and it started breaking down the finish...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think its from armorall or a similar product. I had that happening on my dash after I bought the truck. I cleaned the dash off real well and it got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
59,069 Posts
Never and for me it's always summer except for a few cool days in January and February. I have never used Armorall though.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i never have a problem with armoral. even in houston it gets to like unbearable hot temps especially with the humidity but no tacky. maybe it's a window cleaner or something, like Energizer mentioned.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Don't think its Armorall. I lived in the Florida panhandle for 2yrs with this truck and now 1yr here in the desert. I Armorall the hell out of my dash and nothing sticks to it. Sounds like some type of defect or chemical got on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm assuming all the dashboards are the same color and there are no differences between models.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah and it started doing that before I cleaned it or the window for the first time. Maybe it was something they cleaned it with at the dealership before I took it home, they always use all those industrial strength cleaners. Who knows, as long as the dash doesn't warp or melt in anyway. Maybe I should give it a thorough cleaning. What stuff do you guys clean your interior plastics and dash with I usually use black magic interior spray which has always worked well on my other cars.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you are a carpenter, would it be safe to say the truck is parked at jobsites with the windows open all day? If so, might be a combination of the dust, dirt, pollens, tree sap in the air, humidity, etc.
I don't have that problem at all in my truck, but I keep a little duster under my seat and use it about once a day in my obsessive compulsive desire to keep all dust off my dash. I use 303 protectant all the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine does it too. No cleaners or surface conditioners used, just a rag wet with clean water. I think it's junk plastic too...plastics "outgas" their entire life, so I'd bet the heat accelerates the "natural" outgassing process.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Krodad said:
If you are a carpenter, would it be safe to say the truck is parked at jobsites with the windows open all day? If so, might be a combination of the dust, dirt, pollens, tree sap in the air, humidity, etc.
I don't have that problem at all in my truck, but I keep a little duster under my seat and use it about once a day in my obsessive compulsive desire to keep all dust off my dash. I use 303 protectant all the time.
Nope we have an F-150 we beat up on as a work truck hahaha. I always keep my windows up away from the shop but I bring alot of dust in and and on my clothes and it gets all over everything. Now that I think of it, it hasn't gotten tacky in quite awhile I'll have to wait for another hot day and check it out again.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
on my Grand Prix, I noticed in humid areas, like the Woodlands, TX, the dash and steering controls would be tacky... some of the tackiness was from dirt/dust that accumu lates where you touch the controls....

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
If you use some kind of armor all any other type stuff yes it would get tacky. Just use some warm soapy water to clean your dash off.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
They should, all that stuff people put on their dash is junk! its all slick and greasy and it attracks dirt, thats why the dash feels tacky in the hot sun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts