Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help with my truck it's a 2005 and the dash lights are flashing at random. It only does it when the dash lights are turned off. Also, my speedometer will drop back at random around 5 miles per hour at random to. I didn't notice until today, while pulling a loaded trailer, that when the dash lights flash I also loose some power when it flashes. I've attached a video of each problem I'm having. In cipher I'm not showing any codes except for the cruise switch I need to replace.

update: I'm having trouble uploading the video's, will post them as soon I figure out the problem.

·
Super Moderator
93,641 Posts
The first thing I would do is test the battery.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yep. My experience with Titans and batteries is when they go, they go quick, and strange things start happening.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery read 12.6V and the charger shut off after a couple of minutes and read full. It's a little over a year old, I'll run by advance auto and let them test it. It has a 3 year replacement warranty. I've searched under everything imaginable, and I couldn't find anybody that's ever had this problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
That looks like a power draw problem. Only with the trailer? I would check the trailer ground first.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does it all the time, but I didn't notice the loss of power until I was pulling the trailer. The trailer lights weren't plugged in, it's a small trailer that barely fits my Polaris Ranger.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Inspect both ends of both battery cables.
Inspect the #10 wire that comes off the alternator.
I recall reading in the past that a loose connector on the cluster would also cause this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Inspect both ends of both battery cables.
Inspect the #10 wire that comes off the alternator.
I recall reading in the past that a loose connector on the cluster would also cause this.
Thanks, I'll check those out today.

·
Super Moderator
93,641 Posts
It could also be an issue with the alternator.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have the alternator checked tomorrow. I checked the battery, cables and then took the cluster out and couldn't find anything wrong. I'm also going to track down all my ground wires and check them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It might be that bad music too....haha! That's a joke son!

It's probably not the music....but maybe....I'd try something a little harder/faster like NOFX or The Bollox. :wink:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I checked some of the grounds, didn't get to all of them, and the alternator today. I cleaned the grounds and the alternator was putting out 14.1 volts. I also checked the wires going to the alternator and found nothing wrong with any of them. Anymore ideas before I take it to a shop?

·
Registered
289 Posts
There are two grounds located under the driver side instrument panel that you have to access by removing said panel. There is also a ground located on the passenger side behind or around the glove box.

I have been having issues with my 2005 with what I thought was certainly only the IPDM going bad. Unfortunately still have the random shutting off. But onto your problem I would download or preview the service manual provided through a nissan inspired club (just google 2005 nissan titan service manual) and it shouldn't be to hard to find.

The instrument cluster is considered a combination meter and receives signals from the BCM, ECM and IPDM through the CAN communication lines which are 5 input and 5 output signals at each component.

This was done for less wire hassle but is making it difficult to do diagnoses and not have access to the Nissan CONSULT systems.

If I recall correctly under the instrument panel or combination meter I think it is referred to there is a test to test the gauges.

Worth a shot

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are two grounds located under the driver side instrument panel that you have to access by removing said panel. There is also a ground located on the passenger side behind or around the glove box.

I have been having issues with my 2005 with what I thought was certainly only the IPDM going bad. Unfortunately still have the random shutting off. But onto your problem I would download or preview the service manual provided through a nissan inspired club (just google 2005 nissan titan service manual) and it shouldn't be to hard to find.

The instrument cluster is considered a combination meter and receives signals from the BCM, ECM and IPDM through the CAN communication lines which are 5 input and 5 output signals at each component.

This was done for less wire hassle but is making it difficult to do diagnoses and not have access to the Nissan CONSULT systems.

If I recall correctly under the instrument panel or combination meter I think it is referred to there is a test to test the gauges.

Worth a shot
Thanks! As soon as I get a day off I'll tear into it, and see what I can find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I need help with my truck it's a 2005 and the dash lights are flashing at random. It only does it when the dash lights are turned off. Also, my speedometer will drop back at random around 5 miles per hour at random to. I didn't notice until today, while pulling a loaded trailer, that when the dash lights flash I also loose some power when it flashes. I've attached a video of each problem I'm having. In cipher I'm not showing any codes except for the cruise switch I need to replace.

update: I'm having trouble uploading the video's, will post them as soon I figure out the problem.
I've been dealing with some electrical issues myself. From my research, the problem you are having sounds a lot like an ecm relay failure, or IPDM failure. The ecm relay was recalled for the years 04 05 06. It's a 4 dollar part and easy to replace. The IPDM is also a pretty simple replacement, but costs around 300 dollars for the unit.

Many people have reported these problems and have said the same thing as you; battery is in good working order, grounds are secure, alternator working well, and no engine codes.

If you have a white IPDM, it's the original and may need to be replaced. But more than likely it's a the ecm relay.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats what I have narrowed it down to, hopefully. I'm going to replace the relay tomorrow, if the dealership got some in, they didn't have any the other day. Come to find out my truck never got the relay replaced under the recall. It does have the old style white IPDM.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the relay and it didn't help. I guess the next step is to replace the IPDM and see if that fixes it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts