Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to prevent dashboard cracks?
They usually show up after about 10 years or so, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do now to keep my dash in good shape!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think car companies are useing better materials to prevent cracking now, My old Ram sat out in the hot Georgia sun for ten years and it didn't have any cracks in the dash, but if your really worried about it I would use a window sun shade for those hot sunny days.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
jasonmotox said:
Dont Use Armor All!
I agree, Armor-All will promote the vinyl to shrink and crack rather than prevent it.

Clint

·
Registered
726 Posts
really? what should be used instead?

·
Banned
138 Posts
BigA said:
I think car companies are useing better materials to prevent cracking now, My old Ram sat out in the hot Georgia sun for ten years and it didn't have any cracks in the dash, but if your really worried about it I would use a window sun shade for those hot sunny days.

thats right. if you get a crack these days the material is faulty. back in the 60's and 70's everybodys dash cracked no matter how expensive the car. i got rid of a 93 gmc i had for 12 years and no cracks even though it spent most of it's life without shelter of any kind.

as for me, i wipe my dash with a damp rag when i clean it. no chemicals of any kind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
onelowmini said:
Tint the front windshield..thats what I did..just use the lightest tint they make...its great.
exactly my thought, although here its really illegal most cops wont look for it. it will help the most and is fairly cheap (40-90 bux)

my old f-150 was a 99 and the only crak i got was there the radio sat in dash because i hit it one day and than starting picking at it yada yada...

NICK

·
Registered
359 Posts
BigA said:
Agree on all points. Better materials are now the norm. Dash cracks are largely a thing of the past.

Use a sunshade though...it does keep your interior cooler in hot climates because it block solar gain from heating the dash and steering wheel (sun angle dependant).

Seats, consoles and dash boards store a LOT of heat, which translates into longer cooling off periods in the car after starting it.

·
Premium Member
92,253 Posts
Honestly, ask anyone with a vintage car. Lemon Pledge makes it soft and supple and makes the inside of the car smell lemony fresh. No kidding. Ask anyone.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uh, guys... I'm asking because a friends 2002 Blazer is starting to crack. You can even see the yellow foam now, it's just destined to get worse.
I had a 1991 Cougar that cracked like crazy.
My mother's 1995 Lumina has a minor cracking, but not too big of deal because her foam is a darker color so it's hard to notice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Never had a dash crack on me.....Always keep it clean, use a good quality vinyl protectant and sunshade when parked. Oh, same goes for all the vinyl/plastic interior peices. Just take a little TLC.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm searching on google.com for answers to my original question about preventing dash cracks. There are MANY sites that say Armor All or STP are the way to prevent cracks on your vinyl.

Why does everyone oppose armor all?

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Because the only times i've had issues were the cars I used it on. Since that lesson I won't use it anymore and no problems since.
One funny story relating to Armor -All, is when my cousin used it on his Harley and without thinking put it on the seat. He took a ride and in a panic stop hit the brakes HARD, and slid the family jewels into the gas tank with force. OUCH!!!
We stil razz him about it years later. I bet it still hurts him to think about it.

Clint

·
Premium Member
57,477 Posts
kellyj00 said:
I'm searching on google.com for answers to my original question about preventing dash cracks. There are MANY sites that say Armor All or STP are the way to prevent cracks on your vinyl.

Why does everyone oppose armor all?
Found this on the internet.

"Armor All uses a plasticiser of low molecular weight. It gets in there and everything looks great for about 3 months, but during this time, it is evaporating and taking the original and higher-quality (higher molecular weight and much more slowly-sublimating/evaporating) plasticisers with it out from your original material! That leads to cracking and drying--exactly what you were trying to avoid! If you keep using Armor All, you won't have cracking, but your dash will become dependant on it, and then if you stop, it can be disastrous."

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quartz said:
Found this on the internet.

"Armor All uses a plasticiser of low molecular weight. It gets in there and everything looks great for about 3 months, but during this time, it is evaporating and taking the original and higher-quality (higher molecular weight and much more slowly-sublimating/evaporating) plasticisers with it out from your original material! That leads to cracking and drying--exactly what you were trying to avoid! If you keep using Armor All, you won't have cracking, but your dash will become dependant on it, and then if you stop, it can be disastrous."
Its like crack!
I wonder if you have to start applying it more often than every three months. I bet some dashes have to have Armor All every couple of hours.:ugh:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
4wheelpeel said:
Its like crack!
I wonder if you have to start applying it more often than every three months. I bet some dashes have to have Armor All every couple of hours.:ugh:
I used to have a pretty bad dependency on Armor All but I kicked the habit and shoot nothing but 303odone now, lol.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
So since I've allready done the armor-all thing, what can I switch to now??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts