Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on another forum, but this one gets a lot more traffic.

I am hopefully soon to pick up my Titan King Le 4x4 (today if it arrives at dealer):D Wondering if anyone has figured out how to turn on the daytime running lights. They are standard on the Canadian models, but not the US. I know some people don't like them, but I do feel that the do add some safety.

You would think that it is just a matter of activating them since they are standard in Canada.

Thanks for any info. I will keep you posted on my new Titan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I talked to my dealer, when I purchased my truck, about daytime running lights and their availability in Canada. He thought it was just a matter of changing a relay. He was going to check around, and get back to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
joeandmaria said:
I talked to my dealer, when I purchased my truck, about daytime running lights and their availability in Canada. He thought it was just a matter of changing a relay. He was going to check around, and get back to me.

Let me know what the fix is...I'm extremely interested...Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was Nissan's response, I don't know what the heck they mean by engine room harness. Couldn't it just be changed? :rolleyes:

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your interest in Nissan products.

The Titan that is sold in Canada has a different engine room harness that allows the use of Daytime Running Lights. Unfortunately activating them is not an option on the Titan that is sold in the United States. You may want to check with some aftermarket companies that offer the installation of Daytime Running Lights.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think thats the main electrical wiring harness that probably has the port for pluging in the wiring for the lights along with the fuse.
Thats what I think...

:jester:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Which lights do the Canadian Titans use as DRLs, the normal headlights at reduced power or the high beams (inboard of the headlights) at reduced power?

·
Registered
1 Posts
DTRLs

I had a dealer (in calgary) try to enable DTRL on my US titan. They were unable to find a clean way to do it. Although the US dealer claimed it was just reprograming the BCM (body control module (computer)) in the titan. In the end the tech. attached a typical DTRL module to the battery (similar to the one you purchase at crappy tire) and wired up the fog lights to be on.

THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM. I found when driving dark roads at night the truckers do not like fog lights when they are not needed. I now have to tolerate flashing highbeams and foglights every time i drive at night on dark hiways.

I am going back to the dealer to get the DTRL removed and my fog lights put back to a controllable state.

BTW: The tech, also claims that the wiring harness is completely different between US and Canadian Titans, and they had to order a new shop manual to work on my truck.

I would love to find out if there is a better way to hook up DTRL and how the Canadian titans are wired?

·
Registered
902 Posts
i do believe that DRL utilizes the high beam at a reduced voltage. i believe it's 50% of the peak voltage. i'd be interested in this also. i think it looks cool and it provides safety. i know there are modules out there that do this but am unaware of their costs since it's been a while since i've looked it up.

i'm not quite sure why more car manufacturers don't just implement the DRL. i would think the increase in cost is minimal. maybe $20 bucks their cost?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
GM among others tried it in the us. People hated it so they took it out. It was never required by law so they didn't feel compeled to leave it despite consumer wishes. Alot of cars just required a relay to activate it.

I remember the commercials with the guy in the Southwest on a road in the shadow of a mountain trying to sell the safety factor on DRLs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts