Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario. Yesterday, the dealer had my truck to replace the transmission cooling lines under warranty. Brought it home, sat all night, got in this morning and it started and ran 25 miles to work fine. Stopped to get a paper and pop at the store, got in would not turn over, dim overhead lights, some clicking, but nothing. Got a jump and it started immediately, and seemed to run fine. Went to Autozone and Napa, both were still closed, came in to work. Truck ran for about 10 minutes. When I pulled into the parking lot at work, I heard a click under the steering wheel, and the truck stopped running, and all electrical was off. Coasted into a spot and the truck clicked as before but wouldn't start. Any ideas? I am in need of some quick help with this, I guess I'll go get a battery first, but wondered if anyone has heard of any other similar problems.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,783 Posts
Several people on here have had their batteries just die like that!!

Try a battery first, and if that doesn't fix it, call the dealer!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
Here's the scenario. Yesterday, the dealer had my truck to replace the transmission cooling lines under warranty. Brought it home, sat all night, got in this morning and it started and ran 25 miles to work fine. Stopped to get a paper and pop at the store, got in would not turn over, dim overhead lights, some clicking, but nothing. Got a jump and it started immediately, and seemed to run fine. Went to Autozone and Napa, both were still closed, came in to work. Truck ran for about 10 minutes. When I pulled into the parking lot at work, I heard a click under the steering wheel, and the truck stopped running, and all electrical was off. Coasted into a spot and the truck clicked as before but wouldn't start. Any ideas? I am in need of some quick help with this, I guess I'll go get a battery first, but wondered if anyone has heard of any other similar problems.
Try this link for similar stories.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/59739-interesting-battery-experience.html
I am coming to the conclusion that the sudden death is initiated by some trauma or event to the battery. It seems that it happens after the battery is perturbed. For instance, mine happened after I disconnected it for two days to install my new HU. Yours happened after some service where they probably disconnected the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went out a few minutes ago to get a new battery. Noticed when I opened the truck door, I heard a clicking sound from under the steering wheel. It would click for a few minutes, then stop, then start again. Truck still didn't start. I went to Napa and got a new battery, it started right up. Turned it off and sat for a few minutes, and didn't hear the clicking. I wonder if there is some type of low voltage relay switch under the dash by the steering wheel. I tested the battery and it had 12.46 volts, but at Napa he said it had no amps.
They replaced the transmission cooling lines at the dealer. I wouldn't think they would unhook the battery, but who knows. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary happened before it died. We will see at 11 am, I'll go drive around close to a dealer and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
Went out a few minutes ago to get a new battery. Noticed when I opened the truck door, I heard a clicking sound from under the steering wheel. It would click for a few minutes, then stop, then start again. Truck still didn't start. I went to Napa and got a new battery, it started right up. Turned it off and sat for a few minutes, and didn't hear the clicking. I wonder if there is some type of low voltage relay switch under the dash by the steering wheel. I tested the battery and it had 12.46 volts, but at Napa he said it had no amps.
They replaced the transmission cooling lines at the dealer. I wouldn't think they would unhook the battery, but who knows. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary happened before it died. We will see at 11 am, I'll go drive around close to a dealer and see what happens.
Keep the receipt for the battery. You might be able to get a partial refund or more if the battery is still under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been 41 months since I bought the truck, so I doubt there is any warranty on the battery left. I bought the NAPA Supreme 84 month battery for $71.
Well, I went out at lunch and made three stops, no problems at all. Looks like for whatever reason, if the battery dies, the alternator can't keep everything running by itself. I was surprised that the thing died when it ran for ten minutes, but I was in the driveway at work, at slow idle, so maybe that was a slow enough alternator speed to not supply the needed voltage. Hopefully, the new battery fixed the problem, we will see heading home this afternoon.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,783 Posts
Two things:

Yes, they unhook the battery, it's standard to do so.

Second, unfortunately batteries drop dead at a moments notice.
When the inner coil (connection) snaps, that's it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Yup, all '04s have to be ready for a new battery! It seems that they are starting to go and they don't give any warning. I think I might buy one in the fall before it leaves stranded in the winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
same problem... mine was just a battery... and its been running fine since (200 miles )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
It's been 41 months since I bought the truck, so I doubt there is any warranty on the battery left. I bought the NAPA Supreme 84 month battery for $71.
Well, I went out at lunch and made three stops, no problems at all. Looks like for whatever reason, if the battery dies, the alternator can't keep everything running by itself. I was surprised that the thing died when it ran for ten minutes, but I was in the driveway at work, at slow idle, so maybe that was a slow enough alternator speed to not supply the needed voltage. Hopefully, the new battery fixed the problem, we will see heading home this afternoon.
I thought the Titan had a 84 mos battery too. Double check with your dealer, you might get some coinage back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
3 months ago mine too just dropped dead. baffled me too at first. in the past there was always some warning before they went out. not this one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
Here's the scenario. Yesterday, the dealer had my truck to replace the transmission cooling lines under warranty. Brought it home, sat all night, got in this morning and it started and ran 25 miles to work fine. Stopped to get a paper and pop at the store, got in would not turn over, dim overhead lights, some clicking, but nothing. Got a jump and it started immediately, and seemed to run fine. Went to Autozone and Napa, both were still closed, came in to work. Truck ran for about 10 minutes. When I pulled into the parking lot at work, I heard a click under the steering wheel, and the truck stopped running, and all electrical was off. Coasted into a spot and the truck clicked as before but wouldn't start. Any ideas? I am in need of some quick help with this, I guess I'll go get a battery first, but wondered if anyone has heard of any other similar problems.
Was your battery wet looking/damp spot on top? Mine died at 2 1/2 years old with 46,000 miles on it.

Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Battery was dry as a bone, but there was quite a bit of corossion on the leads. I was out and about last night, and again this morning and everything seems fine. After 3 1/2 years and 58,700 miles, I guess it was time. Back in May when we took the boat to the lake, I told my wife I should just go ahead and get a new battery so I wouldn't have any problems, but didn't. Live and learn. It was just very wierd that it started right up with a jump and ran for ten minutes then died again.
Anyone with a 2004 should stop and have the battery checked before this happens to them. If it would have happened when we were going to the lake, it would have been a major pain!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Anyone with a 2004 should stop and have the battery checked before this happens to them.
I did on my 04' just before heading down to Mexico this June...It was just holding on, of course replaced it.
I agree, if the Titan is 3 yrs old, and still running(the battery that is) I'd just replace it, I dodged a bullit by catching it, but many here have had theirs do the sudden death thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
I don't know if checking the battery will help. I know of others who faithfully check it and it still just died. The shelf life seems to be about 3 years and then whammo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
well they dont always last so long... i only got 5 months 5200 miles out of my 84 month one...i still think theres something else wrong with my truck but nothings popped up yet...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
I replaced my battery about 2 years ago with a DieHard from Sears. That was after it died a year after I bought the truck in 2004. I even got the dealer to pay half for it. I probably should have gone for 100%, but at the time, I didn't think it was a big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
If you have an 04 and hav enot replaced your battery I WOULD SERIOUSLY DO SO TODAY. They die just like that on one minute dead the next. Mine happened at WalMart...thank goodness as I just walked in and bought a wrench and battery top replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I suppose I’m pushing it a bit with the original.
I really don’t care to be stranded,
who knows where,
while in a hurry,
when it’s raining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
reporting dead battery here too... damn!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top