Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$870 Parts and labor for a OEM exhaust from the converters to tail pipe. Do you think i could do better price wise somewhere else?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes search on this site for guys selling there new ones that they took off to put a aftermarket one. I got mine that way. Dont get from stealerships... i think mine i got a 2010 oem catback for 200 plus 100 shipping. 300$ and 20$ for new gaskets. And about a 1 hour to swap them .. and it sound great. Keep looking one will pop up

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
$870 Parts and labor for a OEM exhaust from the converters to tail pipe. Do you think i could do better price wise somewhere else?
Why do you need a new OEM catback? If that flange behind the muffler is rotted, you can have a short sleeve pipe installed in that section for ~$25 at any muffler shop.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Hey Bigstuff, I wonder where you found such a deal?? LOL!:poke:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is broken behind the muffler. They said the rest of it is rusting out. I have a 2004 I figured its time. I will have to get under and double check it. Getting a lot of rain today.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Dang for $870 you can get about any exhaust system you want. I sure wouldn't opt for factory replacement even if i didn't like loud exhaust. JM2C though.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Don't do it. If you need to replace the muffler, search the option (magnaflow and flowmaster are popular aftermarket choices). If the cats are fine, you can find a catback system for WAY cheaper than the quote and install it yourself. It isn't hard at all. Otherwise just do what suddenurge said and have a muffler shop put a sleeve to cover the rotted part and save yourself a lot of cash.

In fact, there is a dual out for sale in the flea market right now. You could do this install yourself in about and hour or less and save yourself over $500.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/buy-sell/121701-new-magnaflow-dual-exhaust.html

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
...You could do this install yourself in about and hour or less and save yourself over $500.
An '04 in Jersey?
Glance at this thread http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/121375-exhaust-install-issues-help-pls.html for an idea of how badly the B-Pipe - to - Exhaust nuts and studs can rust...

Yes - installing my new Borla cat-back (T304 stainless so I won't have to be worrying about rust again...) took about an hour. Getting the old exhaust was serious work - had to cut the nuts off and then use an oxy/propylene torch to heat the flanges enough to release the old studs.

But even with the cost of the torch and a week of rent-a-car between the weekends I could work on it, it'd have been cheaper than dealer cost for the same old exhaust...

In salted-road NorthEast IMO a mild-steel exhaust won't last any better than the factory stuff, unless you have it all Jet-Hot coated, and then you're back in the price range of a stainless system. I really like the Borla, but it is not loud. If you want loud, look elsewhere, but if it's steel, take good notes on replacement 'cause you'll be doing it again. Just MHO...

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I understand everyone jumping on the aftermarket cat back. They are less $$$. Unfortunately, they're also louder. Some louder than others but all will be somewhat louder. Not all of us want that so we're limited mostly to a factory set-up...or very close to it. I agree though that he should look either on here or elsewhere for a factory cat back that someone may just want out of their garage because they upgraded to another cat back.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
They are less $$$. Unfortunately, they're also louder. Some louder than others but all will be somewhat louder.
Hafta disagree.
I believe my Borla is actually quieter than stock - certainly quieter than a 5-year-old and rust-perforated stocker. The aft-facing outlets help too, IMO.

But it's also not (much) cheaper than stock. It will, however, long outlast the OEM stuff, especially in the rust belt.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I understand everyone jumping on the aftermarket cat back. They are less $$$. Unfortunately, they're also louder. Some louder than others but all will be somewhat louder. Not all of us want that so we're limited mostly to a factory set-up...or very close to it. I agree though that he should look either on here or elsewhere for a factory cat back that someone may just want out of their garage because they upgraded to another cat back.
I agree about waiting for a stock set-up if thats what he wants. after I put my aftermarket magnaflow on, I sold my stock setup for $30 to a local member just to get it out of my shed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Courtesy has the pipes from the cats to the muffler for for $65.32. That is the new style with two pipes going to the muffler.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not want to do this job myself. East coast rust is a b#tch. I would like a good quality exhaust for less than the dealer quote if possible.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
That's what I had to pay. Never would have done it but I was on a road trip and local dealer had the parts, didn't want to risk melting the wiring that people have had. The new oem muffler has a deeper tone then before for some reason but it sounds really good. I'm going to hit the flange with some high heat paint to keep it from rusting so fast.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I've got my OEM exhaust sitting in my storage unit...

·
Registered
940 Posts
That's what I had to pay. Never would have done it but I was on a road trip and local dealer had the parts, didn't want to risk melting the wiring that people have had. The new oem muffler has a deeper tone then before for some reason but it sounds really good. I'm going to hit the flange with some high heat paint to keep it from rusting so fast.
Yes the newer exhaust is less restrictive. And sounds sweet. No annoying loud noise or drone to deal with. As u might find with sone aftermarket catbacks.. again i got mine used on here for a good deal and it was like new. I hav an 05 that was rusted up took it to shops in area lowest price i got was 90$ to swap them. Not bad. Just search and you will find someone with oem setup. I agree i want to try and protect mine too. So it will last till 2014 when i upgrade to new model T. As long as it looks good. Lol.

And thanks again BENDER!! :eyebrow:.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the exhaust - removed from my 05 years ago. Never in snow (salt) and is stored inside. No issues at all. Would take $200 for it but have no way to ship. I am near Nashville if you can make arrangements to get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts