Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in upgrading to the 08 model year with the killer rebates available. I talked with a dealer and was able to get them down to 33k for a fully loaded 08 LE with every option (big tow,nav, sunroof, side ab, 4X4, etc.) but rear dvd. The problem was their offer for mine. I was offered 23k for my 07 LE OR with only 3500 miles. I knew the rebates would hurt resale value, but not that bad. I was able to get almost $11k off sticker on my 07 in July. I am torn on a new 08 because I like the changes, but I also like the look and features of the OR package. There is no way I could loose $8k on my 3.5 month old truck. I would maybe take the plunge if I would only loose $2k to $3k.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Its a tough situation, I'll just try different Nissan dealer, and tell them what are you willing to take for your truck, if they want the business, they will.
I paid $13,999 for my 07 Ford F150 V6, first Nissan dealer I went to, offered me $10,000 for it and said that it was too much because you can buy a new one for $15,000. But then 2nd dealer (whom I bought my truck from) offered me $12,500 and we settled at $13,000. He wanted to sell the truck bad. He had 4 2008 Titans stuck for about 3 months on his lot and he was willing to get rid off them. Worked out for me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Why the heII would you trade in an 07? You're gonna get raped!

I do love my 07, however, I like the new features of the 08's (bluetooth and increased pay load) and I wish I bought it with more options like nav and moonroof, Side AB etc. I knew I would have to bend over and take it if I traded in my 07, but I thought they might at least use lube. Guess not. I was possibly able to part with a couple thousand to upgrade, but not with that much.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
2007 TITAN LE said:
I do love my 07, however, I like the new features of the 08's (bluetooth and increased pay load) and I wish I bought it with more options like nav and moonroof, Side AB etc. I knew I would have to bend over and take it if I traded in my 07, but I thought they might at least use lube. Guess not. I was possibly able to part with a couple thousand to upgrade, but not with that much.
I have an 04 and my dealer used lube alright, it was friggin' kitty litter! They want to give me $17k for my 04 SE 4X4 CC that I paid nearly $30k for 3 years ago. They'd have to give me a loaded up LE 4X4 CC for $25k to get me to fall for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I really don't get it. People come on the board and talk about the killer deal they got off of MSRP due to the rebates that Nissan is offering because the trucks ARE NOT SELLING that fast. Then want to trade and pi$$ and moan about the trade in value? Trade ins have ALWAYS SUCKED and ALWAYS WILL. To expect to get top dollar for a trade in on a truck that dealers are giving huge rebates on when new simply fails the common sense test.

You want good trade in? Keep the truck a long time and then trade. Not after a year or three. I traded my '00 Fronty with 200K on the clock when I got my Titan. Got $6K and thought that was great. But I really don't think you guys are being reasonable to expect to trade a truck 1-3 years old and get top dollar. The dealers are having a hard time moving NEW titans with great rebates. What makes you think they want to sit on your USED titan because they paid top dollar for it and have to eat all of their mark up?

Thanks- I fell better now that I've vented.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wmshay6 said:
I really don't get it. People come on the board and talk about the killer deal they got off of MSRP due to the rebates that Nissan is offering because the trucks ARE NOT SELLING that fast. Then want to trade and pi$$ and moan about the trade in value? Trade ins have ALWAYS SUCKED and ALWAYS WILL. To expect to get top dollar for a trade in on a truck that dealers are giving huge rebates on when new simply fails the common sense test.

You want good trade in? Keep the truck a long time and then trade. Not after a year or three. I traded my '00 Fronty with 200K on the clock when I got my Titan. Got $6K and thought that was great. But I really don't think you guys are being reasonable to expect to trade a truck 1-3 years old and get top dollar. The dealers are having a hard time moving NEW titans with great rebates. What makes you think they want to sit on your USED titan because they paid top dollar for it and have to eat all of their mark up?

You could neve win in every steps in buying a new car/truck. It is best to do it in stages in to min. it. If you get invoice + rebate, the dealer is going to win on interest or trade. It is very rare in my experience to win in all 3 categaory. As a rule of thumb, I have been told don't go in and tell them how much you want in monthly payments. In the end you will be screwed 4 different positions.

My view on trade is that dealer will always tried to low ball initially and you will need to work them over. You need to be realistic about the trade in value that you are expecting and will need to do your homework. Allot of times, if it is a car/truck they don't want on their lot they will have a used car lot bidding for it and aiming for some cash in their pockets. My thinking is that a dealer will never lose on a trade no matter what. The dealer will unload it on to someone else at their expense.

·
Registered
639 Posts
wmshay6 said:

You are absolutely correct. If the trucks were flying off the lots, they wouldn't be offering buyers $3500 in rebates to take them off their hands. Even the mighty Tundra is having a hard time selling as expected with the cost of fuel prices rising at a record pace, not to mention the economy in itself in a tail spin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will lose money BIG TIME if you trafe in ANYTHING that is less than 4 years or so old. A 3.5 month old truck seems new to you, but is a used vehicle on the open market.

If you want to trade at 3.5 months, you should SERIOUSLY consider why. Les than 120 days ago you shelled out a LOT of bucks for NEW vehicle and now you're tired of it?

Whatever you do, don't get married. Divorce is WAY more expensive than a truck! It takes houses from you!

In all seriousness, any vehicle is behind the value curve until more than 4 years old or even more. When I buy one I usually drive it for 8 - 12 years. My Camaro SS is paid for, but I won;t consider selling it for less than a certain amount. I'm unlikely to get that for another 4 - 5 years, at which time I'll update the hot rod ride.

If you like the 08 buy one, but hang onto the 07 for another 4+ years before trying to sell it, unless you buy the 08 and trade the 07 for a really nice boat?

·
Registered
483 Posts
you are exactly what the stealership is looking for, the car buying system is stacked in their favor. if you trade in your truck now you will regret it, instead go do some upgrades on your rig to make you feel better about it. Its cheaper than buying a new truck and throwing all that money away. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing I have an 07 CC. But once I looked at the numbers it is cheaper for me to just go out and buy the options instead of trading. So now when I drive my truck I just enjoy it and let the miles rack up because I am planning on having my truck for some years. So good luck on what ever you decide.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing that is really bothering me is that I do not have side air bags on my 07. I have never skimped on safety features on any vehicle I have owned. I am not so worried for myself, but the wife and other precious cargo. I may be acting a little paranoid, but I work in radiology and I see all kinds of mva's everyday and I know what an airbag can prevent. But hey the truck is tits and I am very happy, I just cannot help but feel that it is not as safe as it could be with side ab.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well it's not good financial sense to do this. But if you are willing to take it in the shorts and it will make you happier no matter what, well, it's up to you. On the other hand, if a terrible side impact did occur then taking it in the shorts on trade in could be well offset by medical, or dare i say it, funeral bills avoided. I wish I had the Bluetooth that the '08's offer.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tight Titan said:
Well it's not good financial sense to do this. But if you are willing to take it in the shorts and it will make you happier no matter what, well, it's up to you. On the other hand, if a terrible side impact did occur then taking it in the shorts on trade in could be well offset by medical, or dare i say it, funeral bills avoided. I wish I had the Bluetooth that the '08's offer.

I'll tell you what man. Nothing makes you want as safe a vehicle as possible when you have to go down to the morgue and x ray a dude with a partially decapated skull from an auto accident. Granted, he was drunk :cheers: and not wearing a seatbelt, but still:huh: That will definately make you wear a seatbelt. He was drunk and flipped his truck and flew out and severed the top thrid of his skull on his hood when it popped open. I still have that x ray, I show my neices, who are freshman in college, and try to show them what drinking and driving can do. That guy would probably still be alive if he had his seat belt on. He would definately be alive if he did not drive drunk. Some scary stuff out there that most people are blessed not to have to see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts