Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently took my 17 P4X into my local dealer, one of the many issues I was having is in stop and go traffic the RPM's will fall below 600-700 and the truck with start to shutter, and a couple of times has shut off.

After having it looked at, they are claiming they won't attempt to resolve unless I remove the K&N air filter I installed after the factory one was done.This is not a CAI, just a replacement air filter. I asked well what brand do I have to have, does it have to be OEM, or can I use Fram or ..... I'm still waiting to hear back.

With that I've got two questions for you guys:

1. Anyone else having this type of issues?
2. Anyone ever heard of the the dealership refusing to service based on a non-OEM air filter?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not really sure if this is your EXACT issue, but a dealership can't refuse service due to aftermarket air filters.

You could clean the MAF and air filter really good (and don't put a lot of oil back on) and see what that does to gather some proof.

Surprised they don't even want to steal your money for a "diagnostic fee" first, due to that being as you say one of the many issues.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Just put back any paper non oiled filter so they have a baseline to work off of. Most people over oil those filters and cause issues so essentially they are causing their own grief. I’ve owned close to 50 vehicles and never found any valid need for one, just keep changing the old one for a new one once or twice a year based on miles and all is fine, if the MAF is oil logged then they should charge you to clean it as it was an unnecessary visit. The service dept is there to make money, if it’s a warranty item they get paid as do the techs, they aren’t there to spend time for free as the techs need to have their time covered. Who here spends time working without compensation?
Why not inspect the sensor, very carefully clean it, then put a stock style filter in and see if you in fact need to go back.
Not looking to hammer you but it’s far easier to avoid issues by putting it back like you received it to eliminate situations like this. That filter is too close to a non properly running engine than not.

Clint

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I didn't think the K& n drop in filters used oil? oiled? stalling like you describe does sound like a dirty air filter .

·
Registered
774 Posts
So I recently took my 17 P4X into my local dealer, one of the many issues I was having is in stop and go traffic the RPM's will fall below 600-700 and the truck with start to shutter, and a couple of times has shut off.

After having it looked at, they are claiming they won't attempt to resolve unless I remove the K&N air filter I installed after the factory one was done.This is not a CAI, just a replacement air filter. I asked well what brand do I have to have, does it have to be OEM, or can I use Fram or ..... I'm still waiting to hear back.

With that I've got two questions for you guys:

1. Anyone else having this type of issues?
2. Anyone ever heard of the the dealership refusing to service based on a non-OEM air filter?
The K&N filters used oiled cotton to help capture dirt.. some of that oil will get on the mass airflow sensor that sits in the large hose between the filter and throttle body..

There are products out there that can clean it off..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve had issues with oil on MAS from a K & N drop in filter but I’ve also seen a K & N filter affect the stock ECM & sensors. I don’t have any clue or input in your specific issue but I’m not surprised that it has put your warranty in question in this case. It’s the only reason I’ve not touched this truck from stock. It’s the only truck I’ve ever owned that I haven’t. Wanted to make sure I didn’t give Nissan any excuses for the 100,000 mile warranty. I’d for sure swap that filter out and clean the MAS. Good luck. Maybe it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just put back any paper non oiled filter so they have a baseline to work off of. Most people over oil those filters and cause issues so essentially they are causing their own grief. I’ve owned close to 50 vehicles and never found any valid need for one, just keep changing the old one for a new one once or twice a year based on miles and all is fine, if the MAF is oil logged then they should charge you to clean it as it was an unnecessary visit. The service dept is there to make money, if it’s a warranty item they get paid as do the techs, they aren’t there to spend time for free as the techs need to have their time covered. Who here spends time working without compensation?
Why not inspect the sensor, very carefully clean it, then put a stock style filter in and see if you in fact need to go back.
Not looking to hammer you but it’s far easier to avoid issues by putting it back like you received it to eliminate situations like this. That filter is too close to a non properly running engine than not.

Clint
Some how I knew Clint would show up and tell me how wrong I was...never fails.

And at what point did I say I didn't want pay for anything. It was simple question that didn't require another diatribe from the resident 'expert' on all things Titan. I thought the point of the forum was to ask questions.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
In all honesty Clint is kind of right. The K & N filters are nothing more than smoke and mirrors / snake oil promising this that and the other thing and people fall for it.

Save your money and just purchase filters from your Nissan dealer or local Auto parts store. Paying the extra $$$ for K & N gains you nothing. Well....Except for the headache you are now experiencing with your truck. Not worth it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
In all honesty Clint is kind of right. The K & N filters are nothing more than smoke and mirrors / snake oil promising this that and the other thing and people fall for it.

Save your money and just purchase filters from your Nissan dealer or local Auto parts store. Paying the extra $$$ for K & N gains you nothing. Well....Except for the headache you are now experiencing with your truck. Not worth it.
And don't forget the oily gritty residue it leaves on the throttle body and inside of the air intake tube..

Enough evidence to make me ditch mine years ago..

More air flow + more dirt flow... Our damn cylinders are wearing fast enough they don't need any additional help....

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
It appears I stepped on a sore toe, not my intention. Not sure why you’re so triggered on such a simple thing. People ask questions here and I reply, is that so bad?
In the 80’s I raced a Pro Stock Camaro, I built the engines too so I do know my mechanical abilities.

Clint

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
About $20/yr for a new OEM air filter or $40-55 once for an aftermarket, washable drop in. I had a K&N before I got my CAI. Had the K&N for 5 years, washed it twice. On top of saving money in the long run, you don't have to deal with changing it out.

It's entirely possible he can clean his MAF in about 2 minutes, solve the issue, and spend the rest of his days in his truck without having to change out an air filter.

@cbmassey1 a tip for the future: Whenever you change your air filter or clean your K&N take the MAF out, spray it really well with that cleaner Kenedy linked, let it dry (takes about 30 seconds), put the MAF back in. It's really easy to remove, clean, replace.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
That worked out perfectly!

Clint

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've put K&N or other brands of cleanable oiled cotton airfilters on every vehicle I have owned over the last 25+ years. I have never had a problem with oil contamination on the MAF or dirt/grit getting past the filter.
I have 190K on my '05 Titan and installed a Volant CAI within a month of buying the truck brand new. It uses an oiled cotton filter and other than cleaning it every couple of years it has been maintenance free.
I have heard of problems with contaminating the MAF wire by applying too much oil to the filter but I have not experienced it. It must have been a gross amount of oil... lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts