Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that many of us are or will be dealing with the dealership on various issues with our Titans. The brake judder issue in particular comes to mind. I've only been viewing this site for about 6-months or so since the purchase of my Titan, and do have a few issues with it such as the fuel gauge, leaky rear window, and possible brake judder coming on. For the most part however I like my truck.

I was thinking that maybe in the "how to" section there needs to be a thread about how to deal with your dealer's service dept. It seems like a lot of us have questions about this and maybe we need to start a list of things to keep in mind. So, feel free to add to the list, and I would hope that this list could be stuck for future reference...

1. Be calm, and explain your problem clearly, don't get pi$$ed off, it doesn't
help. Don't elevate the problem or get sidetracked, keep the focus on
your problem, and repeat your concerns if necessary.

2. Keep all records of services to include the dealer, independant shops,
and owner maintenance. This includes every phone call, who it was with,
what date, and every letter, fax, etc.

3. Know your warranty, know what's covered, and what's not.

4. Know the current TSB's/recalls that are out.

5. If you don't have a problem, don't BS the dealer just because there's a
TSB out.

6. Always use the chain. Start with the service person, then supervisor,
then manager, then owner, then Nissan. Give everyone an opportunity
to fix your problem before you go to the next step, and remember #1.

7. Be realistic in your expectations (this goes back to your warranty). If
you're unusually hard on something that breaks (i.e. the guy that got mud
sucked up thru his air filter...), take responsibility for it
and fix it on your own if you busted it doing stupid stuff.

8. If you don't get satisfaction from one dealership go to another, this may
or may not help, but it's worth a try.

9. Know your state's lemon laws.

Anyway, feel free to add to the list. I don't work for Nissan, just a gov't employee!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Let THEM troubleshoot the problem and have them offer some theories. If you have an idea of what the trouble is you may want to mention it, but be careful. Some mechanics may not want to think of their own and will follow your advice. They may do what you suggest and not expend any additional effort. Then when you come back to them with the same issue next week they will claim "we did what you told us". Describe the symptoms, but be careful about giving them your theories of why it is happening...unless you are certain. Of course, they are those dealers that may be so lost as to need your guidance. If that is the case, I suggest you turn around and go to another dealer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good List. Here are some additions:

Review your service receipt and make sure it is accurate. Often I have seen service writers note a problem as "Could not Duplicate" when they could, but could not find the real cause. Having incomplete repair items on service receipts can be useful in documenting a recurring problem. In my last Titan service visit, the drive noise tsb was not done because the service manager knew that it would not solve the problem. They knew what was causing the noise and the tsb did not address it. They were awaiting Nissan's fix for the noise. But my service receipt said "could not duplicate'. The service cashier caught the mistake and wrote "awaiting fix from Nissan" so that is was correctly documented as incomplete.

Request replaced parts to be given to you. If you are considering or preparing legal action for a recurring problem, you will need to have the damaged parts which were replaced. This can also prove that parts which were claimed to be replaced actually were.

Try to use the same service writer on subsequent visits. If the service writer gets to know you and remembers you, they may be more likely to work a little harder and go the extra mile if they see the same owner bringing their vehicle in again and again. Building a rapport with a service writer can also make visits a little friendler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just bought my titan and i think i am having radio proplems. I have the rockford fosgate system but the time does not show up anywhere. the display seems to be working fine but nothing i do will get the time to show up????

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Gordon24....depending on where in Austin you live, take your Titan to Maxwell Town North and talk to Greg in the service department. He'll get you taken care of and won't screw you around. Have had nothing but wonderful results from him. Good luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
keiffers,

thanks a lot that is where i bought it at. My bet is that they are going to have to put a new radio in

·
Registered
795 Posts
carry a copy of some survey and whip it out and wave it at them saying, "just wait till I fill this out mofo's." that really whirls them into action!

juma

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another one I just thought of...Read your owners manual. There's a lot of valuable info. in there that can answer questions or at least tell you how something is supposed to work. It should be your first source of information when you have problems where applicable. You can also refer to it at the dealership if something isnt working right IAW the manual.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The biggest thing is to treat them as you would want someone treating you. I have several issues with my service deptment such as we didn't hear anything, didn't find anything even though there is a TSB on it, crappy work, and telling my they wouldn't fix my regulator that broke on a friday morning with a forcast of rain for the weekend. (wrong answer by the way). Finally went and sat down(today)with the Nissan GM of the dealership and went over the problems with each repair order, and needless to say he was real interested and took notes on each repair order. He was also very honest in saying he knew there were some problems and there are replacing the service manger (old one already gone). But if there a problem go to these people and at least give them a chance to work on their problems internally. If if was in his shoes I would want someone to bring these issues to me so I could take action on the problem employee's... but then that's just me.
Thank for your time
Ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
TYTAIN

Are you speaking of the service dept at Jack Ingram in Montgomery? I use them (I bought my truck in Huntsville though) and I feel the same way you do. They do what can do to get by. If I go in with 3 concerns more than likely they'll come back and say we "could not duplicate" 2 of the 3. Who was the manager that you talked with?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
TitanItUp said:
TYTAIN

Are you speaking of the service dept at Jack Ingram in Montgomery? I use them (I bought my truck in Huntsville though) and I feel the same way you do. They do what can do to get by. If I go in with 3 concerns more than likely they'll come back and say we "could not duplicate" 2 of the 3. Who was the manager that you talked with?
Sorry, I just now saw your message... I can't remember his name but he's the Nissan GM. He sits in the show room in that very corner glass office. I believe he also approves all the sales. If you need me to, I can find out his name for you? He was real interested in my experiences and notes, and took notes himself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The_Man said:
Good List. Here are some additions:

They were awaiting Nissan's fix for the noise. But my service receipt said "could not duplicate'. The service cashier caught the mistake and wrote "awaiting fix from Nissan" so that is was correctly documented as incomplete.

Request replaced parts to be given to you. If you are considering or preparing legal action for a recurring problem, you will need to have the damaged parts which were replaced. This can also prove that parts which were claimed to be replaced actually were.

I don't know IF the cashier have any authorize or capable to rewrite what service writer wrote on the invoice, they don't event have the authority to change or correcting the amount was written on repair order or cashier invoice either.

The only way you can have the part that the dealer replaced for you is you're paying for that job. If it's a warranty job/parts, those part have to goes back to part Dept for warranty claim, you may be able to look at it if you are happen to be there at the time the Tech replace it, otherwise... I don't think they're willing to keep it aside for you to see later on, let alone keep them for your record.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Actually it depends on what parts you're referring to. If you have a bad drive axle on a front wheel drive, that part gets put in "the bucket" so Nissan can analyze the part and why it failed. If you seat cover starts to unravel or was stained or cut, those parts usuallly just get tossed.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love this post!

When things get bad and you can't get satisfaction:

I would suggest that people keep their own documentation as a supplement to "Stealership" service documentation. I would send copies of my evaluation of the situation on my Letter Head attached to the dealerships service documentation to the management of the dealership.

Some thoughts about "Lemon Laws":

I was told that very few cases ever get resolved pursuing them through the Georgia Lemon Laws. I was told that the Lemon Law people ultimately accept Service Department documentation as "The Law" and dealerships are just to good at avoiding documenting anything that makes them liable. I hope that the "Lemon Laws" and those enforcing them are more successful in other states than they apparently are here in Georgia but I doubt it.

I hope others here will not do what I did and allow documentation that is not accurate to continue to pile up. I found that Service Departments have learned to use their documentation to create a basic "catch 22" in regard to Lemon Laws. My research indicated that it is more effective and ultimately less expensive to copy a lawyer and at some point have the lawyer write a letter to the dealership. I think dealerships are frequently much more intimidated by well documented information in the hands of a dissatisfied owners attorney than they are by Lemon Laws.

How I came up with the above plan for dealing with tough situations at dealerships:

Ok I had a very bad experience with a Dodge truck that I tried unsuccessfully to get repaired for many years. Without getting up on my soap box I will relate those issues that I hope I have learned from.

The problem I had was my dealership knew they could not fix problems with my truck and told me so. Unfortunately they basically refused/avoided documenting their inability to fix the problems.

My problems were largely electrical, and I must admit they were intermittent. The radio for instance would just stop working and would not work for months then it would start working again and work for months. The radio was replaced several times, new radios did the same thing....... I want go through all that was done what I am documenting here is the tip of the Ice Berg.

The last time I took the truck to another dealership. They saw 5-6 old reports over several years (which was about a third of the times it was worked on) but claimed that the radio needed to be replaced. The service manager said I don't care what the old information says your radio is broken and your only option is to buy a new radio. That was what he wrote on the service report, he would not let me write anything on the report.

A mechanic overheard our conversation and referred to a fix that he had used to fix similar intermittent problems. I knew the fix and had mentioned to the service manager that Dodge had made a recall on the documentation for repair of that year trucks electrical system. I believe that incorrect information on wiring this truck for towing was/is the problem. The manager refused to discuss anything but replacing the radio and he sent the other mechanic packing. He claimed that the electrical documentation change was not relevant. The radio started working again within 15 minuets of leaving the dealership and to this day works intermittently. I realize my problem was with Dodge and now I am dealing with Nissan. I just do not want to go down that same route with Nissan.

So what options do I have when a dealership want document the true problem? I could never get those "Stealers" to write "the truth" on their paper work. My experience in contacting other management at those dealerships was they stood behind whatever the Service Manager said. Dodge also stood behind whatever the dealership said. My big frustration was that dealerships in Georgia seem to know that there is a "Lemon Law".They seem to know exactly how to avoid documenting anything that would give someone the evidence they might need to pursue that law.

The only solution I have come up with is to document on my own letter head any problems that I feel are not being properly repaired or documented. Then submit my document attached to a copy of the service report to the dealerships management, retaining both copies and names and dates in my files. If the situation continues for an unreasonable time, I might then have something to send to the Lemon Law people or a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
get the car evaluated by as many shops as possible as ammunition...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I live in chillicothe ohio. ok with that i bought an 05 cc 4x4 in feb07 in columbus and had to get the front pinion seal fixed in may and called the dealership in chillicothe and they said i had to have the truck they for them to look at by 2pm, but they said this after i told them I dont get off work till 3:30. so i took it an hour north to buckeye nissan and they was good even done the 2* for me. so now my rear axle seal is leaking so i call chillicothe and they said they only have 1 guy for nissan trucks and it was 2 weeks out. what is with this bull**** so I gotta take it an hour north agian on tues. cant believe they only have 1 guy for nissan trucks and they r a big dealership too. sorry guys just venting. my wife also called them a month ago to buy me seat covers and they siad they was not an authorized dealer. dont understand that either seeming they r a nissan dealer and all. bottom line this place sucks so if anyone is in the area do not go to nourse nissan of chillicothe

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had to lemon law a vehicle before.

1. Write down exactly your description of the problem and hand that to the dealer. Keep one copy for your records. In court if what you described is different that what is written on the service report the manufacturer can claim they tried fixing a different problem. Ford tried that with me, but didn't work because I gave the dealer my description of the problem.

2. Summarize any conversation you had with the dealer representative (phone and just normal conversations).

3. Demonstrate the problem to the dealership if possible. I drove around with a transmission tech for 30 minutes till my truck grinded the gears. This is so they can't say "couldn't duplicate the problem."

4. Try taking video recordings of what is happening. My truck then had a grinding transmission noise. The dealer sent that information to Ford for review. The videos are also helpful in lemon law precedings (It was the reason I won my case).

5. I had a very intermittent problem so I started keeping logs of when it happened. Write down the conditions of the road, stop go driving, after driving for a long distance, etc.

Every state has different lemon laws. So check your state's dept of transportation website for more information on what is required to file a lemon law. In most cases you will have to write a letter to the manufacturer. The Texas dept of transportation has a sample letter you can modify to fit your problem. Also in Texas you don't need a lawyer to help you out. In fact I couldn't get one to represent me. Guess there just isn't enough incentive to help. However, they all said if you lose they'd be glad to help.

On your court day just state the facts. The manufacturer is there to prove you're causing the problems or that it isn't a defect, but normal operation of the vehicle. Ford said my problem was normal and all F150s did that. Basically that kills your case if they have the documents to prove it's normal and doesn't cause longevity issues. Well, Ford had all that information. However, my videos were pretty damn convincing to the Judge. So, I won my case.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I saw this thread and couldn't pass it by, I had the worst service ever, EVER at Bill Ray Nissan in Longwood Florida. My truck is my baby, and I'm sure you can understand that...I know where every 'imperfection' is, and park my truck farr away to prevent dents.

I took my truck in to get 'recall' work on it, Simple enough. When I picked it up, there was a hugee dent at the bottom of the passenger side door. Not like a door ding, like a huge crease at the bottom (Under the v8 Titan logo).

I stormed inside, I should have been nicer, but my truck was violated. haha, They told me there was nothing they could do. I called BS. They told me to bring it tomorrow to have service look at it (since it was night time and they were closed) I live 30 minutes away from this location so it's not convenient for me to drive there.

The next morning, I called, and they said there's no way it could have happened on their property because they reviewed the cameras and saw nothing. (My truck was there for 11 hrs, they reviewed 30 minutes of tape). I asked to talk to his manager of the service department, who was very rude. He said he wanted to look at the tent but "didnt have the time" to come to me to look at it. We finally came to an agreement that I would come to the dealership at 6:30pm, as soon as i got off work to look at the dent together. I arrived at 6:12pm, and he was gone for the day. Seriously?

The manager below him looked at it, told me the same thing-it didn't happen there, I asked to see the video footage they said they reviewed, only to watch it and see it wasnt even my truck. Not to mention, when they did pull my truck on the bay, you couldn't see the passenger side as it was on the opposite side of the camera.

Long story short, they only agreed to fix it, after I got my father involved. I know dealerships don't take females seriously, but I wasn't going to back down. I drive it again 3rd time-to have them fix it, drop it off..have to arrange rides for 2 days, go to pick it up, and the dent is poorly fixed, the paint was horrible, they put a new v8 titan logo on, which was 2 inches crooked, and 4 inches taller than the logo on the other side. Then to find out when I get home-the door and windows don't work from the inside-so I am unable to lock, open, and roll down the passenger side window.

Pissed off, yet again, we went back and forth, (I put aftermarket power windows in my truck, and they said I'd have to go to them to fix it) but they finally agreed to fix it again. I told them if they didn't fix it correctly this time, I would take it to another body shop and give them the bill. And this time I mad ethem give me a rental car. They repainted the door again, which does look better, but not perfect. They fixed the internal side of the door, I told them if they were too incompetent to put a logo in correctly, to just debadge the whole truck. Put they put it on, it's straight, but still 1" higher than the other side. I'll live.

So moral of the story is, if you're a female you're SOL, and don't ever go to bill ray nissan :)

Here's a visual aid, if you care. Sorry for the poor quality.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts