Nissan Titan Forum banner

Debating between XD Diesel or Titan Gasser

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  GHierholzer 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking for 2017+ Nissan Titan gassers in my area and none really fit my feature list... I have seen a few 2017+ Titan XD Diesels pop up in the area for about the same price with similar features and mileage.

Wondering if I should venture into the diesel area. As long as it is under warranty, I am okay with owning a diesel. I just wonder how much more expensive maintenance is going to be, as my dad has a Ram 2500 Cummins and has to pay for expensive fuel filter replacements ever 12k miles.

For the same price, mileage, and year, would you choose a XD Diesel over a regular Titan gas?

P.S. Somewhat worried about the crankshaft failures I have read about but it is under warranty...
Diesel is also a lot cheaper where I am than gas.

#2 ·
a buddy has always been a diesel guy, till now. he said with the technology and power of the new gas engines, he sees no point to having a diesel anymore. diesel fuel is expensive here and the maintenance costs are a good amount more then for a gas engine.

I have never owned a diesel though, so I am just telling what a buddy who used to do hot shots told me

#5 ·
Having owned a diesel truck in the past, there are good / bad things you should consider:
  • Is this going to be a daily driver? Diesels need exercise, and with them now requiring DEF, you have to periodically use the DEF up and refill it, as the stuff goes bad if it just sits in the truck. Diesels also need to be driven periodically; they get what used to be called "a head cold" if just allowed to sit. But hey, 17 MPG with a 4WD one ton... hard to beat.
  • Are you going to be working the engine hard? Diesels stand up to this much better than gas, although modern gas engines can last very well with good maintenance. My old diesel was running just fine at 280,000 miles. Hard to find that in a gasser.
  • Are you up for the extra maintenance costs? Diesels (as you pointed out) require periodic fuel filter changes. Oil changes in some trucks can be heart-stoppingly expensive, as compared to gas trucks. I had a 12-quart crankcase in my old truck, and that oil had to be changed right at the 3000-mile mark. Filter was twenty bucks.
Just some stuff to consider, hope that helps.

#7 ·
- Not necessarily daily driver but driven at least 5 times a week.
  • I wouldn't necessarily be pulling anything yet. In the future, I would have a travel trailer or RZR/toys of some sort. I do give the vehicles a workout when I drive. I'm not super gentle.
  • Once a year fuel filter changes aren't too bad in my opinion. I will have to research the maintenance costs a little more.

#6 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I think the previously mentioned concerns are valid, ie: parts availability in the future, and diesel after treatment devices, 10 quart oil change etc.. In addition to diesel fuel, you will have to factor in the addition of DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) that will have to be added. DEF usage will vary, but figure about 1 gallon of DEF per 1,000 miles. DEF is about $8 to $9 a gallon.

#8 ·
Based on you coming here asking that question, I’d say that the gas engine would be the better choice. I’m on my second 2nd generation Titan both gas engines and both run great and good gas mileage.

Clint

#10 ·
I'd never consider the diesel Titan option, for all of the reasons mentioned above. If you want a Diesel, buy a Ford/Ram/Chevy.

#11 ·
I had the XD Diesel and traded it for the XD gasser. I liked the diesel, but I wouldn't recommend it to others at this point unless you can tune and delete. If you can get a good tune and delete package (full delete with EGR delete) plus add a catch can, it has serious potential. If you have to keep it stock, I wouldn't do it. Go with the gasser XD, you'll love it.

#12 ·
Hello,

I have been looking for 2017+ Nissan Titan gassers in my area and none really fit my feature list... I have seen a few 2017+ Titan XD Diesels pop up in the area for about the same price with similar features and mileage.

Wondering if I should venture into the diesel area. As long as it is under warranty, I am okay with owning a diesel. I just wonder how much more expensive maintenance is going to be, as my dad has a Ram 2500 Cummins and has to pay for expensive fuel filter replacements ever 12k miles.

For the same price, mileage, and year, would you choose a XD Diesel over a regular Titan gas?

P.S. Somewhat worried about the crankshaft failures I have read about but it is under warranty...
Hello,

#13 ·
I purchased a 2016 XD IN 2018 with 17k miles. I wanted a half ton designer for towing a 7000 lb travel trailer. This is the one! Towed 9000 miles to Alaska and back to Arizona. East coast and to Louisiana. No problems. It is designed for towing, not going to the grocery store! Over the Rockies multiple times and hours of down pours.

Had a 2004 SV and it towed but it had to work hard at it. Put 120k on it. This truck is so much more powerful pulling up the grades and has better control going down grades. Less tiring to control on line trips. It actually gets better empty highway mileage (19) than the gas (17.5). I have 45k miles on it now and won't be broke in until 50k.

Get a good 100k extended warranty. I have Murcury ins. Also added a 50 gal fuel tank and can go 900 highway miles.

#15 ·
If you have the diesel it is a must to do the following with that specific engine: 1) Catch can mod on the turbo (you'll be thankful for this in the long run and 2) If possible tune and delete (if you can in your area). Once those two mods are done, that engine really opens up and is reliable. All of the unreliable issues with that Cummins is all around the emissions and turbo. There were a few bad batches of cranks, but most of those issues pop up long before the 100K warranty would be over. the long term issues with it was the turbo and emissions stuff.

#16 ·
I too have had the dilemma on what would work for my situation. I started out with a 2002 Nissan Frontier, worked for a while but as it started to age it was nickle and dimeing me to death. So I went out in 2017 and Bought a Nissan Titan 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum. I loved that truck the ride was sweet, it was fast, could pull an average sized boat with no problem, gas mileage sucked but you don't usually by a V8 4x4 for exceptional gas mileage. The gasser comes with a 5.5 bed and that was the downfall for me as I wanted to slide in a camper. There weren't a lot of options even with popups. So in May of this year I traded it for a 2019 Nissan Titan XD SL (midnight edition) still 4x4 Crew Cab. And so far I have had virtually zero complaints, the ride is nothing like the gasser, obviously the Diesel has a stiffer ride but recently I hauled about 1,700 pounds and it smoothed out the ride considerably. The mileage I have gotten has been between 14-20 depending on the length of the trip. It is fast when needed just don't expect it to have a super acceleration from a dead stop, it doesn't have that. The gasser does. So there are pro's and con's to both. I have a wee bit less than 8,000 miles on my XD so far and no complaints. It does have a 6.7" bed which I do like; personally I wished it had an 8' bed. This does let me have more freedomes for the trailer that I am wanting to put in there, and it also comes pre-
built with the 5th Wheel options built into the bed where as the gas truck does not. In the picture my old truck is the Blue one the new truck is the White one. (Midnight edition blacks out the chrome crap).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.