Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
cool. i wanted to try the samething to eliminate brake fade. but that might crack the rotors! a few kinks would have to be worked out lol. :smoke:

-CJP

·
Registered
838 Posts
roy365 said:
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

Anyone seen/used/installed this system???? Sounds like a good idea as long as you dont get any C02 in your intake.
This system works with the intercooler on a turbocharged or supercharged engine. When the turbo or supercharger compresses the air, the compression causes it to heat up - very hot. Running that air through an intercooler (which works like a radiator) does the same thing to the pressurized air that a radiator does to water -- reduces the temperature.

Now if you spray water on your radiator or anything else cold, it will further cool the air charge.

This will not work unless you first spend the $5000 or so on a Stillen supercharger.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Armada said:
This system works with the intercooler on a turbocharged or supercharged engine. When the turbo or supercharger compresses the air, the compression causes it to heat up - very hot. Running that air through an intercooler (which works like a radiator) does the same thing to the pressurized air that a radiator does to water -- reduces the temperature.

Now if you spray water on your radiator or anything else cold, it will further cool the air charge.

This will not work unless you first spend the $5000 or so on a Stillen supercharger.
yeah.....ummm......i hate to say someone is wrong but i think you misunderstand the WHOLE concept here. They also offer an intake piece for normally aspirated motors as well. I wont argue and say that it may be MOST beneficial for turbo or supercharged situations. But to say it's only for that is a misconception.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Delta15 said:
Does anyone know how much hp is gained by drop in air temp?
For every 10 degree temperature drop, you pick up 1% in HP. In the Titans case, that would be 3HP at the flywheel.

·
Registered
578 Posts
sudden urge said:
For every 10 degree temperature drop, you pick up 1% in HP. In the Titans case, that would be 3HP at the flywheel.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if this product could get the intake charge down to 50 degrees? I know guys with a ram air hood are running 110 IAT.

Will someone please be a guinea pig for this?

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think if you read on thier website they got the intake temp. lower than 50 degress. It was on a honda civic on a hot day with good humidty to boot. it's not going to be as much of kick as nitrous obviously.....BUT you dont have to adjust any timing or worry about internals being worked too hard. My only question is it really worth it? So far nothing i have paid premium money for besides the intake has given me a noticeable difference. But you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
578 Posts
roy365 said:
I think if you read on thier website they got the intake temp. lower than 50 degress. It was on a honda civic on a hot day with good humidty to boot. it's not going to be as much of kick as nitrous obviously.....BUT you dont have to adjust any timing or worry about internals being worked too hard. My only question is it really worth it? So far nothing i have paid premium money for besides the intake has given me a noticeable difference. But you gotta pay to play.

This doesn't seem terribly expensive plus you can get refills at any paintball shop. I'm just not sure how much it would get the Temp down and what kind of gains you would see at the track.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Delta15 said:
This doesn't seem terribly expensive plus you can get refills at any paintball shop. I'm just not sure how much it would get the Temp down and what kind of gains you would see at the track.
sounds like you are trying to persuade someone to buy this? LOL :jester:

·
Registered
602 Posts
i like the sounds of this but thats alot money right now. was thinking though with r titans having the coolant running though the the intake like we do. guys were taking and plugging the lines so u would not have the 190* coolant running though there. we would still need to plug these with this mod i think. so y not just get a co2 tank and run your own lines and connect to the inlet where the coolant runs. be alot cheaper?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
it might be a route for S/C guys to super chill thier tranny's....????

·
Registered
578 Posts
dksfowler said:
so y not just get a co2 tank and run your own lines and connect to the inlet where the coolant runs. be alot cheaper?

I imagine it would freeze the throttle plate or wear out the motor for the throttle plate because of the extreme temperature changes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
RB's Titan said:
it might be a route for S/C guys to super chill thier tranny's....????

I was thinking about this for towing..tranny temp starts to rise chill the cooler and cool down the fluid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts