Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never owned a vehicle that attracts dents like my Titan. The first wasn't a dent but more of a mar in the paint caused by some fuktard throwing eggs a few weeks after I bought it. The second was a door ding in the drivers side that isn't that noticable. The third was caused when I let my wife drive it to work & she scraped the drivers side bed on a wall in the parking garage. That one cost $625 to fix & she paid for it.

The latest happened a few weeks ago, I was dropping my nephew (13 years old) off at a parking lot where we had met my sister. I pulled up next to her with plenty of room to get the doors open. He got out, opened my sister's car door, then pulled open my rear door to get out his bag & slammed it into my sister's car door HARD. He's a real nice kid, so I couldn't get mad at him & partially blame myself for not parking 10' away, but it was pouring down rain. I did do a big ole fishtail out of the parking lot though. I called him later & he volunteered to do some work around my home to payback for the dent. I told him I would forgive him if he promised to NEVER egg a vehicle.

I have got 2 estimates from body shops I trust & the both came in at the same price of $500 to fix the dent plus another $200 to fix the mar from the egg job while they're at it. Both are on the passenger side, the egg mark is on the front edge of the door.

I was going to wait to get it fixed till my finances were a little better, maybe even next year, but after washing it yesterday, it's really eating at me. The truck is less than a year old with only 5K miles on it.

What do you guys think? It is starting to rust a little were the dent is, should I bite the bullet & just get it done now? Some people say " It's just a truck, don't sweat it" , but I treat it like a car & do very little truck stuff with it.

Second question is, I am getting an unpainted 12' x 8' Tuff Shed delivered in a couple of weeks, should I ask my nephew to paint it to teach him a lesson? I'll talk to my sister about it first, but wanted some opinions first, am I being petty? Here's pics of the egg mar, dent, & overall.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
slap a sticker on it untill you get it fixed if it bothers you that much lol... and i feel your pain on the egg part... the day after i bought my titan it was back at the dealer getting stuff installed so they let me drive off a 07 le cc 4x4 EVERYTHING ON IT. so im passing my neighborhood entrance and i get nailed with an egg...washed it off saw nothing wrong woke up and there was a mark just like yours...i knew who did it to and i whooped the SH!T out of that kid too.. luckly the dealer didnt care because insurence took care of it...

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Your nephew was acting like a kid normally does. He didn't do it intentionally. The rain is what caused him to hurry. If it was me I'd let him slide and I'm not the one who usually lets things go.

Clint

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
touch up paint to keep it from rusting, then when you get the cash get the dent pulled if you want, or just leave it. I think around here either people are jealous or just hate nissans because I have the same kind of problem, just luckily nothing too bad yet. I have had water baloons (luckily not eggs) etc thrown at my truck when taking a detour, people purposely slam shopping carts into my sidewalls (nice dent all the way through the utility door up through the panneling) Luckily it's not too noticable but happened within 30 days of purchasing my truck.

I had a couple others as well but the dealer cashed my truck so I had them pulled at that time (may have been fromt he crash though)...

As for your nephew, thats your call would have had to have been there but I would let them slide unless you think he did it on purpose. But you might Ask him to help you paint and guilt him into it lol.

Not sure about the egg, have you tried to rub it out with scratch-x? havent had that happen to me yet.

Your truck is "Officialy" Broken in now. Grats!

·
Registered
805 Posts
i feel for ya.
mines at the body shop right now for 2 booboos. one my doing... :(

i can deal w lil scratches here and there, but dings and dents no way! i NEVER park next to a car if at all possible. i dont mind walking a lil farther to the store to avoid the "WTF, who dinged me?" feeling.
so yeah, fix em now if you can..... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel your pain. I have had my brand new 07 Titan for 4 week and already I have 2 dents. One happened 2 days after I got the thing. Some jackass nailed my front bumper in a parking garage. Then 1 week ago I was driving down the highway and I ran over a piece of metal...it bounced up and dented the bottom of my door. Why do these things attract so many dents?!?!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Why do these things attract so many dents?!?![/QUOTE said:
because everyone and everything will do anything just to touch it for a second !!! lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, my truck lasted a while without damage... Then I let my (ex) girlfriend drive it. She backed into a lady, pulling out of Starbucks on her way to work. Apparently she didnt' hear the backup alarm go off, she smashed in that ladies driver-side door, and pushed in my rear bumper and the bottom corner of my bed, which normally wouldn't be noticable except the utility door is right there and IT wasn't bent, so it just brings attention to itself. After I thought that was all said and done, 4 months later she decides she's ready to drive it again (after arguing with me) and pullin into the driveway thinks she's the coolest **** on teh block, pulls in the BT Mirror and up tight to the mail boxes, to check for mail. Already got me nervous doin that -- then she pulls into the driveway, and turned right INTO The mail box. It chewed into the paint, and left a dent. She normally drives a small toyota pickup, so apparently she 'forgot' that she had to turn wide in a big truck. To finalize everything, one day leaving Best Buy, she's takin her sweet *** time shuttin the door (mostly to mess with me) so I punch the throttle to slam the door shut - Forgot there was a shopping cart in the next car-spot. Guess what.. 3 wonderful dents in the passenger door from the shopping cart. That last one I take 100% blame for cause I was bein an ***, but the first two... Well I have always said that women shouldnt' drive big trucks. This just gives me more reasons!

Anyways - for your questions... The egg shell thing sucks, but I'm sure your the only person that notices it. The small dent on the door is ugly, but like others have said, put a little paint on it to stop the rusting. Wait till you can afford to get it fixed, thats a big chunk of change to drop on it when you aren't quite ready. You know how things go - you get it fixed, and there'll be another dent or ding right away.. always seems to happen that way. As far as your nephew, dont be too hard on him! He didn't mean to do it. You gotta expect kids to make mistakes. He appologized, he feels bad, I'm sure he knows how much you care about your truck - thats all you can expect of him. Hell, I can't be mad at my ex over anything on my own truck. Accidents are called that for a reason...

Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
969 Posts
stop going to walmart. its not the truck but you

0 dents here. now scratches im over with. i just no longer care. found another nice one just this morning. seems like somebody smacked the hood with their zipper

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well its so bad what ups now after this? did you do something to remove it???

Damn, this thread was almost 3 years old. Anywho, I quit caring about dents & scratches after the last one. I haven't had a new noticable one since. I still haven't bothered to get it fixed. I'm focused on gettting it paid off so I can get my 911 back together next year. BTW, my nephew painted my shed.

stop going to walmart. its not the truck but you
0 dents here.
I'm glad your truck hasn't picked up any dents around your trailer court, good for you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is some luck for you. I usually consider myself a pretty attentive driver. Its the middle of December here in NE and we have our first really cold day. I decide to go somewhere with my son so I buckle him into his car seat and head around to the drivers side to get in and go. I had put the garage door up ahead of time so I got in and started up and started to back out of the garage. What I hadn't noticed was the the door had not gone up all the way. It was up high enough that the door shut off but was down low enough that I couldn't see it when I looked out the back window or rear view mirror. I backed out a little speedier than I should have. Well the garage door caught the top of the cab of the truck right about at the 3rd brake light and before I could get stopped it essentially dented and scraped the top from the back of the cab to the front clear down to the metal. I felt like such a dips#@$t. Ended up doing 2500+ in damage to the truck. I was able to bend the garage panels back into shape for use and most likely will have to replace them in the spring.

I get the truck back just before Xmas and I drive it for 2 weeks. January 5th I am the last vehicle in a line stopped on the interstate because someone at the front decided to slam on their brakes which in turned caused a chain reaction. I had left myself plenty of room so I was just waiting till the line started moving again. What I didn't notice was the semi behind me couldn't get stopped in time. He ended up slamming into the rear end of my truck straight on. It felt like I got hit pretty hard. I really have no idea how fast he was going when he hit me though. The truck was drivable and outside of a sore neck and back I was ok. The truckers insurance took care of everything completely but my Titan suffered another 3 grand in damage. I should get it back today with any luck. So my new year so far has shown that my truck has become a wreck magnet. I just hope nothing else happens to it any time soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts