Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, starting on Saturday I started having issues with my stereo. I'll explain my setup then explain my issue.

I have a pioneer avhx-4500bt, running to a JL 1000/1 and a 300/4. The amps are nearly 10 years old and were handed down to me

The issue I'm running into is the highs/mids cutting out randomly. Whether I'm sitting still or driving, the sub still works perfectly, just the highs/mids will come and go. I can still barely hear what's supposed to come from the door speakers, then suddenly it will play at normal volume.

I just noticed today that there is a slight "chirp" coming from the speakers when everything is powered off. I even unplugged the RCAs from the amp so it had no input, yet it still made the chirp.

I've checked my connections and grounds, everything seems right and in order. There are no fuses to check on the amp, and the one for the stereo is fine.

I only run the front two speakers (blew the rears). I tried switching from the front OUT on the stereo to the rear OUT, issue persisted. I tried plugging into the rear IN of the amp, it was still cutting out randomly.

The random chirping of the door speakers when the amp is powered off with no input makes me think it is the amp. I wanted to get some second opinions before I drop the coin on a new one.

Any help is appreciated, and if you know of a 2 channel amp for sale let me know!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not a big stereo expert, but are you running anything between the amp and the speakers, ie a crossover? If so you may wanna check that. Or possibly check the output levels from your previous outs off the stereo.

Reactions: beachside321

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there are 2 crossovers for the front components. I think that if there was an issue with one, it would only affect that side. The rear speakers (which still play even though they are blown) are wired straight to the amp, and are experiencing the same cutting out.

As far as output levels, I haven't changed anything from the last 2.5 years that it's been working great. I unhooked the battery for a while to let everything reset, then restored my previous settings.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Sounds like it might be an intermittent RCA connection inside the amp.

Are the RCA connectors on the amp loose?
Can you move them more so than the other connectors that work fine?

Sometimes the RCA solder connections inside the amp can break from use...especially in an older amp. You can try wiggling the RCA connections while playing music, and see if that narrows down the problem.

If it's happening with no input connections, could be the same issue, just on the speaker outputs. Or it could be a faulty component (capacitor) inside the amp, which I experienced on an old Soundstream Reference amp.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried wiggling the RCAs and I can't get that to replicate the problem. The sound still cuts out and comes back randomly.

Today before leaving for work I felt the amp which had been sitting all night. The 300/4 amp (problem child) was still warm, almost hot while the 1000/1 was cool. I'm going to try to find another amp to hook up to today, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Sounds like the amp. If the crossover for the subs is in the sub's amp, try hooking up the rcas going to the sub amp to the front amp. If you have the same problem the you can be pretty sure it's not the head unit. I had a similar problem and it was the remote turn on circuit.

Ask MBQuart1; he'll probably chime in.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea where the crossover for the sub is. I think that it's in the head unit. I may buy cheap amp from Walmart to swap in and test it then return it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If your rear speakers are blown and still connected the amp is going into protect. Unhook them and see if it still does it. If it does unhook on side of the front and see. Then try the other. Most likly a blown speaker

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've had the amp hooked to the blown speakers for 2 years. I don't have the rear RCAs plugged into the head unit or the amp.

Both front speakers work fine. On Saturday at 6am everything worked perfectly. When I got in my truck at 5pm I started experiencing an issue.

A local audio shop suggested I use an RCA-3.5mm adapter to play music straight from my phone into the amp. I tried this and the volume was very soft but I couldn't get it to go in and out

Also when I tried this, I noticed the amp was hot to the touch. My stereo had been off for 4 hours before that

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I agree with Mbquart, I would disconnect the blown speakers. If the amp is hot to the touch, it's possible that one or more speakers are shorted.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just unhooked the blown speakers, as well as trying to unhook one side at a time in the front. No changes in anything

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: Just stopped by a local audio shop and had the guy look everything over. He ran a multitude of tests, including unhooking all speaker wires and hooking up a speaker directly to the amp. Still had little to no output from the amp. He also checked the impendence for each speaker and all of them, including the blown one were within spec.

Bottom line... I'm ordering a new amp tonight

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Double post...

Thanks for all the input guys. All the troubleshooting you suggested makes me feel more confident in replacing the amp

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
What are you getting?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JL JX360/2. I'm just going to run the front components off of it. With the way my box is mounted, it completely blocks one of the rear speakers. With sound only coming from one side it sounds off to me.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hooked up the new amp today and went for a 15 min cruise. Everything is working normally. Waiting to set the gains etc again before I let it rip

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts