Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm on the fence on replacing my catback for now until b-pipes and headers. I have a few leaks in the factory system (and headers)...But, more concerned with with the tail section that is pretty rusty and needs to be replaced. Originally set on the Gibson MM. Now that I ran into some issues with my lift and unexpected cost I'm considering the Diamond Eye catback and the single exit. Price is hard to beat and looks to be decent quality minus the clamps which I'll weld instead of clamping. Has anybody personally bought this setup? I haven't found much info and only one Youtube clip but, its the dual exit. Any help would be appreciated! I dont want to be a guinea pig..lol

SEE LAST POST FOR UPDATE

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
449 Posts
It looks like decent exhaust. Although for the JBA for 100 dollars more is probably a better deal. The JBA is stainless and proven.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Tap auto did some testing on it. I personally think the pipe diameter is too large, but I have no experience with it. The jba and Gibson side swept cat backs are very nice systems. If they are to quiet for you then a borla muffler swap will fix that. if you plan to go long tubes I would highly recommend avoiding the Gibson mm. That catback doesn't do well with long tubes. It is very loud as just a catback and becomes obnoxious and raspy with cis when long tubes come into the picture. Here is a link to the thread tap started

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...ly-sells-diamond-eye-performance-exhaust.html

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its too bad the sound clips are missing from that thread. I can get the diamond eye cat back for 270 shipped otherwise, I would consider the jba. Also agree the diameter is way too big before the muffler but, I think for now it will be the ticket. After headers and b-pipes I will probably change it up. I'll place the order Monday and do a little sound clip and write up on it. Surely I'm not the only one interested lol

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Curious to get some info on it. Definitely not much out there for sure.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
If you plan on headers down the road it could be a huge mistake as only a few exhaust systems work with those mods. There is little info out there on that exhaust so it will be a gamble on how it sounds with headers on these trucks. JBA is a winner and proven exhaust.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you plan on headers down the road it could be a huge mistake as only a few exhaust systems work with those mods. There is little info out there on that exhaust so it will be a gamble on how it sounds with headers on these trucks. JBA is a winner and proven exhaust.
I am worried about the 3.5" diameter and running long tubes with 2.5" catted b-pipes. Thinking it will be a major torque loss. Not too worried about sound though. Could always do a muffler swap or add a ultra quite to the tail pipe down the road.

JBA would be my second choice and probably end up with after headers but, for now I just need a quick replacement unfortunately. Which sucks cause I'll probably have to do it twice...Really need to start putting some pennies away so I can give ya'll a call soon!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am worried about the 3.5" diameter and running long tubes with 2.5" catted b-pipes. Thinking it will be a major torque loss. Not too worried about sound though. Could always do a muffler swap or add a ultra quite to the tail pipe down the road.

JBA would be my second choice and probably end up with after headers but, for now I just need a quick replacement unfortunately. Which sucks cause I'll probably have to do it twice...Really need to start putting some pennies away so I can give ya'll a call soon!
3.5" = WAY to big for N/A titan.
JBA = Winner

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the honest opinions. Until I start replacing everything upstream the Diamond Eye catback will satisfy my needs.

I went ahead and placed the order yesterday. Ended up getting a small discount on top of the already low price. So I figure if it works for now with stock b-pipes and headers for the next year I dont feel so bad about ditching it when headers and b-pipes happen. Also ordered new oem b-pipe gaskets at the catback and header section to rule out any leaks. I'll snap some pictures and do a little review since there really isn't any buyer reviews and a sound clip.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Exhaust showed up today along with my 14' exhaust manifolds I purchased. All I can say is this exhaust is ridiculous! Seeing the 3.5" piping in person really blew me away..literally. About to snap some pictures. Install wont happen until late November when work slows down and I can weld up the new manifolds I got. Going to add some heavy welds to the existing brackets Nissan added. Seem's they also added some bracing to the inside of the manifolds

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my replacement manifolds in Friday and when I got them unboxed I of course found a small crack in them (were supposed to be crack free according the the seller...thanks). So I grinded it out and welded it up and went ahead and added some welds to the bracing Nissan added just for kicks. Probably not going to help but, since I had the welder out. All gaskets and new bolts for heat shields, studs and nuts for manifolds, manifold gaskets on order. Also awaiting new end links, and tranny mount from PRG. Going to wait till everything arrives for install towards end of the month. Also ordered a exhaust tip for the Diamond Eye catback

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just curious why you didnt go with headers?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just curious why you didnt go with headers?
I came across these on the Titan Talk Facebook for sale. They were supposed to be low mileage 2014 manifolds with no cracks at a great deal. I'm really on the fence on doing headers right now. I'd rather run these for a awhile if they hold up and save my money so I can do headers, b-pipes, custom cat-back, and uprev via Cajun all at once. This will somewhat be a temporary setup unless the manifolds hold longer than expected and the catback is acceptable. I realize I'll possibly be doing all the labor twice but, I enjoy working on my truck :big_grin: So for me its time well spent and I dont have much invested in the catback or manifolds

Reactions: TSINND

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
I hate to tell you this but those buddies will be cracked in a year I promise you. That is a lot of labor to have to do again. I wish you the best but I've never seen a weld job last more than six months on these things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hate to tell you this but those buddies will be cracked in a year I promise you. That is a lot of labor to have to do again. I wish you the best but I've never seen a weld job last more than six months on these things.
This is exactly why I bit the bullet and went with headers (CARB compliant with new CATS). A friend of mine is a great welder offered to do it for the price of the welding rod but the labor involved to remove weld and reinstall was not worth it to have them break again. I saved 50% of what the dealer would have charged to replace them with OEM. My opinion is that you should have saved your money dealt with the exhaust leaks and bought what you really wanted which is a tried and proven fix. Sorry that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is exactly why I bit the bullet and went with headers (CARB compliant with new CATS). A friend of mine is a great welder offered to do it for the price of the welding rod but the labor involved to remove weld and reinstall was not worth it to have them break again. I saved 50% of what the dealer would have charged to replace them with OEM. My opinion is that you should have saved your money dealt with the exhaust leaks and bought what you really wanted which is a tried and proven fix. Sorry that's just my 2 cents.
Its definitively a gamble on my end but, all its all my own labor and a few bucks on gaskets at this point. If they can get me by for at least a year until I finish school, I'll be satisfied. Scrapping the cats covers the cost of the replacement manifolds for me. I appreciate all the feedback and concerns which I fully understand but, I'm just trying to stay cost effective at this point. Plus when these manifolds crack I know how long they've been cracked for. The manifolds that are currently on my truck is a guessing game and ticking time bomb when the cats begin to fail. When the time is right I'll be going the permanent route with Cajun and be done with it :big_grin: Of course when college is over and back to work!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, so I bit the bullet the yesterday and threw on the catback w/ out doing the manifolds because I was starting to worry too much about the tail pipe connector rotting away. When I pulled it off the hanger it just collapsed! All 4 studs on the b-pipes snapped even though I have been spraying them w/ PB blaster and Aerokroil for several weeks...So after burning through several drill bits I got them out and replaced w/ new bolts and nuts. The Diamond Eye catback took me maybe 30mins to bolt on. Very simple bolt on and everything lined up well. I will say I did not use the tail pipe section and left it dumped after the axle. I also added a 6" tip (got a good deal again on it) black powder coated and clamp on. I may add the tail pipe if I can get the tip positioned the way I want it. Sits too low for my liking. Here is a few quick pics for now to peak any interest and an update. I'll do a sound clip once the muffler breaks in and I get the manifolds replaced (may change the sound). Also I cannot tell and torque loss right now. I'm running heavy 35's so any slight change is hard to tell. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's just a small sound clip to get an idea. Manifolds have been replaced. Didn't change much of the sound originally and going to keep it dumped for sure. If anybody wants an in cab video let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9q1YsVkMac

1 - 20 of 23 Posts