Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't post on here hardly ever but need to being that I read the threads all the time.....but thought i would share the results of a little test I did over the weekend

I have an 04 CC LE OR Ed w/33in Discoverer STT's. I also have dual straight exhaust (backpressure KILLER!!) and simple K&N air filter. Just throwing this info our as a reference as I have tried to cover all angles during my test so I dont skew my results. The truck has 115k miles and has NEVER been in the shop for any mechanical failures, only some minor body damage and scheduled maintenance. So to the point.....

Since I had a long drive this weekend to go visit Mother like many of us did I decided it was time to use Seafoam on the way back and see what it did for me. During the trip up there I got 13.46 mpg. Prior to leaving all tires were checked for proper pressure and I was running 87 octane fuel.

Before I left I used 1/2 can of seafoam (vacuum line method) and put Lucas injector cleaner into a tank of 89 octane fuel.

I arrived home and filled up my tank and my MPG was 15.77

The trip was all interstate and was at cruise @75 mph (so I could have gotten a little better) both ways. The exact same route was taken. Temperature and humidity conditions varied less than 5%.
The truck ran smoother, idled smoother, and was a little more responsive. Nothing drastic but I could tell other benefits besides the mileage.

So I spent 6$ on Seafoam, $5 on Lucas, and $3 extra on higher octane fuel (25 gal @ +12/c gal)

So total cost being $14, which comes to an additional 0.56/c per gallon on the initial tank cost. With the increased gas mileage I was able to drive 394.25 miles on 25 gal vs. 336.5 on 25 gal. I went 57.75 miles further or 4.29 gallons less of fuel if I was trying to get same mileage. If fuel costs $2 per gallon, I saved $8.58.

Given that these benefits last more than 1 tank you can see how much you can save. In less than two tanks of fuel you have already been paid back and profited.

Pre-Treatment Costs:
1.99 x 25gal/87octane = $49.75 and went 336.5 miles
-6.76 miles per $
-0.147/cents per mile

Intitial Treatment Costs:
2.12 x 25gal/89octane = $53.00 +11.00 (Seafoam/Lucas) and went 394.25 miles
-6.16 miles per $
-0.162/cents per mile

After Treatment Costs:
2.12 x 25gal/89octane = $53.00 and went 394.25 miles
-7.44 miles per $
-0.134/cents per mile

Obviously a Titan with only 50k on it would benefit less from this and so would city driving, but I wanted to see what the maximum benefit of this was. We could all do this exact thing and would hav evarying results but maybe it will help someone. I hope ya'll find this interesting. I make the trip quite often so if anyone wants me to try any other products (within reason, I'm not gonna go and buy the TORNADO haha) just let me know.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Wow nice write up bud! I dunno how you get such low MPG though. I mean for your points you get a 2.3 mpg gain..but on highway at 75 give or take a little, I average out about 18.4 mpg..... 73k miles. Stock all the way around, except 2* timing advance.

I did put seafoam however in my gastank (1/4 of can) and in via brake booster vacume line (3/4 can) and noticed a drastic improvment on my 89 Bronco with 306k miles on it. I'm not sure what the MPG increase was as I only drive it maybe 50 miles a week, if that? I fill up about once every 5-6 weeks. City driving.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not wanting to seem doubtful but there are two factors that might have contributed to the increase in MPG:

1) 10% ethanol mix

It takes your motor more energy to burn this 10% mix than regular fuel. I have noticed when filling up between the two that I can get roughly 70 miles out of the first 1/4 tank with the ethanol mix. When using regular fuel, I can get roughly 100 miles out of the first 1/4 tank. I am wondering if you filled up with 10% first and regular second.

2) Octane Ratings

87 octane will burn faster than 89 or 93 octanes. I am not sure if it is enough to change your MPGs in a drastic amount, but you will get better MPG using 89 over 87. I used 87 BEFORE I got my BD and now I run the 93 tune. Even with me laying the hammer down 3 times AFTER my fill up this weekend, I still managed to get 117 mile on the first 1/4 tank. This is an increase that can be seen vs running 87 octane.

What I find disturbing is that you are getting 13 mpg HWY!!!!!! After putting my slightly taller tires on, I went from 18.5 to 17 HWY.

Just a little insight on this....

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
With mixed driving (city/highway) I averaged 13.7 MPG. So I don't see his mpg's as being too abnormal.

I would like to hear more about how he used a vacuum line to use the seafoam.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Wow nice write up bud! I dunno how you get such low MPG though. I mean for your points you get a 2.3 mpg gain..but on highway at 75 give or take a little, I average out about 18.4 mpg..... 73k miles. Stock all the way around, except 2* timing advance.

I did put seafoam however in my gastank (1/4 of can) and in via brake booster vacume line (3/4 can) and noticed a drastic improvment on my 89 Bronco with 306k miles on it. I'm not sure what the MPG increase was as I only drive it maybe 50 miles a week, if that? I fill up about once every 5-6 weeks. City driving.
Larger tires kill MPG's. Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
20,124 Posts
The Seafoam may have cleaned things out but I suspect you'll find that after subsequent tanks of gas your MPG goes back down closer to your original level.

FWIW, I get better MPG with lower octane fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In response to the ethanol question......I have located a few stations that do not mix ethanol in with their fuel and only fill up in these places.

My fuel economy is bad but I'm thinking dual straights are a big reason, with such a loss of backpressure it's inevitable. Couple that with high mileage and12.5in wide 33's it seems about right to me.

Yes I do expect my MPG to degrade over time but with the savings becoming profitable in 2 tanks of fuel it pays for itself fast enough to overcome that issue. This is my particular case as it would not be worth it for everyone.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Running the same size tires, I usually get about 13.5 mpg. I got about 16mpg on a trip back from Texarkana due to a nice heavy tailwind, all figured using a calculator. I've read seafoam does wonders on high milage engines. From past experience on other vehicles, I've always seen mpg gains from running fuel injector cleaner/octane booster. It's not just the octane, there's usually detergents in it that help clean your injectors out. I saw longer lasting results when running through a few bottles/tanks back to back. Like HRTKD said, my guess also is that your mpg will be back to normal before long. I've gained about 1-mpg better and quite a bit more pep using a Superchips tuner, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Make sure you change the oil after all that. Injector cleaner has some pretty nasty stuff in it and you dont want that floating around in the crank case. Try some auto RX and see if that helps clean things.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
The Seafoam may have cleaned things out but I suspect you'll find that after subsequent tanks of gas your MPG goes back down closer to your original level.

FWIW, I get better MPG with lower octane fuel.
What Do you run? 87 or 85? I always use 85 but after logging my millage (got a cool excel spreadsheet for both Bronco and Titan), I got these numbers:

Fuel rating: (i'm pretty sure it's 87 octane, may be 89. All I know it's "mid grade")
85 - on 150 miles I use up 8.5 gallons, roughly 17.64 mpg.
87 - on 150 miles I use up 7.75 gallons, roughly 19.35 mpg.

Now these numbers vary very slightly across the board, but average out to roughly:
85 - 17.5 mpg
87 - 19 mpg

These are done with the same trips. A few trips up to North Denver and the trips to local resturants/food joints/grocery stores a mile or so down the way.

Factors however to count in is the fill up. Now to get the best numbers possible, I run the pump till it wont even flow. I pull the "trigger" and it just clicks right away. And I give a good 10 second break to let air escape to squeeze in as much fuel as possible, however there really is no way to know for sure that my gallons filled up = the total amount replaced. Regardless numbers are fairly close to eachother and reflect near results the best one could go for.

It looks like later this week or early next week I'll be making trips all over the state. Trips as little as 3.5hrs one way, to 8hrs one way, way up in the mountains. Trips there with a load, trips back without a load. Up and down mountain roads. I assume from my understanding I'll be using my truck for a week or two until the company trucks get into the state from cali. (if I can get my overheating issue fixed!!! almost there, truck overheats with A/C on..but runs fine in 90 degree heat no problem, even at idle for an hour).

If I can use my truck, I'll see if I can make some trips, with load and without load, running 85, 87, 91 octane. And I'll fill up at roughly 200 miles and see what the numbers come back as. And maybe I'll even throw some sea foam into the mixture!

:hi:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
how can you find out the ethanol content at gas stations? i used to work at one and i was never told so i'm just assuming the other employees don't know which rules out asking. would the managers know? is there some special website w/ that info? :confused:

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
how can you find out the ethanol content at gas stations? i used to work at one and i was never told so i'm just assuming the other employees don't know which rules out asking. would the managers know? is there some special website w/ that info? :confused:
I know the gas station I used to work at way back in the day had the information right on the three buttons where you can select the octane. Really small print though. Check that next time.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I know the gas station I used to work at way back in the day had the information right on the three buttons where you can select the octane. Really small print though. Check that next time.
behind the counter or at the pump?

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
behind the counter or at the pump?
On the buttons on the pump itself. There should be only 3 buttons to pick from (octane rating) and on those buttons should have small print above or below the octane number which should tell you everything you need to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts