Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we got hit by a ton of snow over the weekend so i thought it would be a good time to use the 4WD , worked great.
However when i got back home i was backing into my parking spot making a hard right, with 4WD on and i heard a lound "clang" sound, like a spring poping. I put it into 2WD and finished backing up. I looked around the truck and didnt see anything leaking so left it over night.
This morning I started to pull out and it was flashing the 4WD, so backed up a few feet and it stoped flashing however, it sounded like something was grinding when i continuled but quickly went away.

The sound hasnt returned so far, and i even pu tit into 4-Hi on the was and no sounds and it disengaged as it should when i turned it off.

Is it possible i screwded somethign up, or is this ok , and i just should NEVER do that again (i new to 4X4, used to AWD).

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
What year truck?
Earlier Titans have a tendency to pop an axle loose from the front diff.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Look at the front diff, and see if the axle shaft popped out. Mine did, and I had to get the front diff changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did drive it to work this morning, listening very closely for any thing and it sounds normal. I just went outside and took a quick look, nothing looks like it "popped" out, but ill have to remove the boot to see.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
No need to remove anything... Look where the front half-shafts connect into the front differential housing... Compare the shafts on both sides of the diff against each other... If you can visibly see any teeth on one of the sides, it's popped out.. Mine had fluid dripping from it but some others didn't

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
i did drive it to work this morning, listening very closely for any thing and it sounds normal. I just went outside and took a quick look, nothing looks like it "popped" out, but ill have to remove the boot to see.
You should always throw it back into 2WD when 4WD is no longer needed..especially when just backing up into a spot to park. However, you probably just heard a tire scruff while hard turning and nothing more. If you drove it and it sounds fine, you're ok. Try and drive it and take it in and out of 4WD. If all goes well I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just drove it home and had a look. I dont see anthing that looks like it poped out. and i did try 4wd this morning and it didnt give me any trouble.
I think ill go for another drive here and try what HudsonValleyTitan said about the 4wd and see if what happens. hopefully there is nothing wrong and im just being parinoid about my baby :p

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Take a pic of both passenger and driver sides of your front diff and we can see if a axle pulled out. My guess is something binded up and the 4wd and relived via breaking traction and nothing broke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok it feels all ok, 4WD engaged at about 15MPH, and disengauged. no awkward sounds or roughness. I did have to make a left turn and i could tell if it was coming from the tires or something else but i made the turn kind of wide when it started the crunching sound. but once through the turn it was fine.
Ill try to get the pics tomorrow just to have some one look at them, it too dark out now.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
ok it feels all ok, 4WD engaged at about 15MPH, and disengauged. no awkward sounds or roughness. I did have to make a left turn and i could tell if it was coming from the tires or something else but i made the turn kind of wide when it started the crunching sound. but once through the turn it was fine.
Ill try to get the pics tomorrow just to have some one look at them, it too dark out now.

You're good then. If anything bad happened, you'd know by now. Another possibility could have been that what you heard was the rear axle loading up and when you scuffed the tire, the inside leaf spring unloaded quickly giving a springy "BOING" sound. lol...I bet you'll never do THAT again huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts