Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a dumbass...

So, I was hauling an enclosed trailer probably 4-5k weight in my 2005 Nissan Titan LE with tow package, etc. I usually haul in tow mode, but in "D" (automatic). Usually have no problems.

This day I was driving into heavy head-winds. Since then I have read to put it into 4th gear, or 3rd if climbing, but at the time didnt know any better.

Anyway, the temp on the transmission rose like 2-3 times to the "oh ****" mark, right before the max line. When it would get up to that point, id let off the gas, pull over, and park it and let it cool off. Once I started driving again in a few minutes though, it would start to climb again and Id repeat.

Now I know, I should be in 4th or 3rd, realize im fighting winds, and probably not let it get that hot and high. (it was a cooler day, mid 50s, if that matters).

ANYWAY, my question is, did I damage my transmission? It doesnt "feel" like there is anything wrong, but how can I tell? Is there something I can do now after the fact to check it, to help it, to "fix" it?

Any advice or help is appreciated....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the way home a few hours later, not fighting the winds, but still in "D" (automatic mode) it drove fine, and the temp never even started to raise... if that matters..

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would check the fluid to make sure it is not burnt. If it brown or black I would get a transmission flush, just to be safe.:flying:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I doubt any damage occurred. Repeating what cp.16 said. Check the fluid, smell it, examine it. If it appears the least bit abnormal do a transmission flush and you'll be fine. Thats my nickel's worth.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
If it makes you feel better change the fluid no matter what the color. My opinion is you did not harm it.

Clint

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Your fine...should be no problems just look at the Tranny fluid.

When your pulling in 5th gear the torque converter don't hit full lock with all the pedal you have to keep giving it......all that slippage makes it hotter then hell and it's not too good on the clutch pads either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, just because its rated to pull 9500lbs, it doesn't mean all out that it should be done. Now for pulling in high winds, coming at you, well as long as your not driving 85mph towing, and its not upshifing, downshifting, upshifting, downshifting, more than likely, you should be fine. How many miles do you have on the vehicle. How often do you tow? Your probly fine though. Like everyone said, check your fluids. If its really dark, good idea to change it. If you don't know how, its not that expensive to have it done.

Some good advice, if you do tow alot, upgrade your trans cooler. This will help to ensure that your trans stays cooler during long hauls. You could even try adding an electric (pushing) cooling fan for your trans cooler directly over it. This will help even more, especially under high stress loads. Most people that tow alot get this done. Like I said, even though its rated to do it, its not set up for constant heavy loads, it more for convenience, and knowing if you have to it can. All trucks are like that unless you get a 2500 series, or 3500 series truck, which are meant for constant abuse like that. Titans just don't have a heavy duty series yet. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
22 Posts
lol my dads friend bought a brand new Titan and within 250 miles he took it back becuz of a tranny problem.. bottom line is Titans just arnt really good trucks yet not saying ure tranny is messed up but id check it anyway

·
Registered
123 Posts
350chevytruck said:
lol my dads friend bought a brand new Titan and within 250 miles he took it back becuz of a tranny problem.. bottom line is Titans just arnt really good trucks yet not saying ure tranny is messed up but id check it anyway

That's a great way to make the guy feel great. Just tell him his truck sucks. Thanks Chebby Lover. Like everyone said you probably won't have a problem.

·
Registered
897 Posts
350chevytruck said:
This coming from a Chevy owner. LMAO

I owned a 350 Chevy truck, 1998 model. First thing I had to get done was a shift kit, Tranny cooler, and synthetic fluid. Why?????

Because the 4L60 tranny barely lasts 70K. My Chevy didn't even come with a tranny cooler from the factory.

Now if you would like a list of problems Chevy trucks have I will gladly post a nice BIG list for you.

Since I put 100K on that Chevy and now own a Nissan Titan I would say that my opinion carries far more weight than yours does.

That being said my Titan is twice the truck my old Chevy could ever be.

:rockon

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This is kind of un related but when I floor the peddle there is like a second of hesitation before it takes off. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
350chevytruck said:

Dont listen to dumb chebbby driver. He's a troll and trying to cause problems . He doesn't know is azz from a hole in the ground. Die troll die.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
350chevytruck said:

Dude the Titan besides the Tundra has the best tranny on the market. There have been next to NO transmission failures unlike the domestics.

I've pulled a 7,000 lb trailer from California to South Dakota and back among other trips.

On top of that I take my truck to the strip and make the transmission spin drag radials and run the 1/4 mile.

Yeah...that's a bad transmission...go troll somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
The momentary hesitation is normal, my truck does it too. The Titan has a drive by wire throttle set up and I believe it's a bit different than a hard linked throttle in regard to pedal response.

Clint

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Clint said:
The momentary hesitation is normal, my truck does it too. The Titan has a drive by wire throttle set up and I believe it's a bit different than a hard linked throttle in regard to pedal response.

Clint

Ok, phew. I thought something may need to be tightened up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the responses everyone, and for not flaming me for being such a noob. :)

According to the manual, it says nissan has to check/change the transmission fluid? I looked under the hood but didnt see anything related to the transmission fluid....?

How do I go about checking it?

Also, any suggestions for places to go to have a transmission cooler installed? I typically just use my truck for towing my quads.

It doesnt seem to have any issues, its got 33k miles on it, I just wanted to make sure and see if theres anything preventative I can do.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
58,372 Posts
350chevytruck said:
Is that Chevy350truck's real avitar?:rofl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts