Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to replace the original tires on my 2008 Titan at 65k miles. The brakes had started making some noise so I had them replaced. The shop guy wanted to sell me new rotors too but I asked him to turn them since they've never been resurfaced. I paid $421.00 for front and rear breaks. My husband thinks they "took" me since I said no on the rotors. Is this outrageously high a price?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yeah you probably paid too much. Labour is probably where they got you. You could have almost if not got new pads and rotors for that price. The cost to install varies, but as a general rule the dealer will rape you for labour.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
For both front and rear pads and turning all four rotors, $421 is not that bad. If you've never had any brake work done for 65K, it's about time to get them done.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I'm surprised that they were actually able to turn the rotors... The stock rotors on these trucks are only marginally above the minimum required thickness when NEW! After 65K miles, I wouldn't expect them to have enough meat left on them to legally cut them down... especially if they were making noise, which indicates they were past the wear markers and chewing on the rotors.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you're not into doing the labor yourself then no you did not overpay. If you normally do the labor yourself then yes you did. I got zinc coated slotted rotors and decent pads for around that price for all 4 wheels and installed them myself. Probably would have been charged at least 200 for labor.

Whenever you add labor in from the dealer just assume $100/hr and if they work 10 minutes they charge an hour of labor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why have you posted this in the Titan 2nd Generation folder? This has nothing to do with 2nd Gen.

Admin please move this to the appropriate folder.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Why have you posted this in the Titan 2nd Generation folder? This has nothing to do with 2nd Gen.

Chill out. His first post on the site. Hell if you use the old auto guide app it doesn't say what generation to put in it. A guy ask a question and gets bantered. Some People on here get too butt hurt over any post that's mislabeled.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I'm surprised that they were actually able to turn the rotors... The stock rotors on these trucks are only marginally above the minimum required thickness when NEW! After 65K miles, I wouldn't expect them to have enough meat left on them to legally cut them down... especially if they were making noise, which indicates they were past the wear markers and chewing on the rotors.
Agree ^. Sadly, you will experience brake clatter in the near future, even though the rotors were cut. Most OEM rotor's are made with inferior metals from China. In other words...Junk.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quoteJLG7820;7117746]Chill out. His first post on the site. Hell if you use the old auto guide app it doesn't say what generation to put in it. A guy ask a question and gets bantered. Some People on here get too butt hurt over any post that's mislabeled.[/quote]

JLG I agree, but I think it's a girl, not a guy. I could be wrong considering the changes in our society, but the OP mentions a husband. Either way, where it is posted is of little consequence. :wink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ouch! I paid $103.00 CAD for front & rear Wagner QuickStop ceramic brake pads from Amazon.ca and installed them myself. I bet it would be half that for you Americans! My rotors were fine but my local reputable brake/machine shop charges $30/Rotor to turn them. Not what you wanted to hear but it is the truth.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The answer kind of depends on your perspective. Did you overpay for a brake job as per what most shops charge? Not terribly, but maybe a little. Did you potentially overpay for what you got done versus the DIY cost? In dollars, yes. But in the overall sense, it depends on your DIY ability and the value of your time. I try to do my own brakes but a few years ago I was overloaded at work and my wife's Expedition needed the brakes done. Paid a shop I trust turn the roots and replace the pads. I think it ran me $250 or so. But that was long enough ago I'd suspect that same shop would charge $350 or more now. I just did her brakes again, and paid less than $200 for a full set of rotors and pads and e-brake shoes. The shoes I bought from a local parts store, but the rotor/pad kit cane from a forum sponsor here - 1aauto.com - and the quality is great. My wife just had a scare on the way home last week when a car in front of her lost control and struck an oncoming car, sending it hurtling toward her. She was able to stop without hitting the oncoming car, which flipped in front of her, and said she attributes it to the new brakes, as she didn't feel her old brakes would have stopped her in time. Tony at 1aauto.com carries full sets of rotors/pads for the Titan, too, and when my T needs brakes, I'll order from 1aauto.com.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts

Chill out. His first post on the site. Hell if you use the old auto guide app it doesn't say what generation to put in it. A guy ask a question and gets bantered. Some People on here get too butt hurt over any post that's mislabeled.
[quoteJLG7820;7117746]Chill out. His first post on the site. Hell if you use the old auto guide app it doesn't say what generation to put in it. A guy ask a question and gets bantered. Some People on here get too butt hurt over any post that's mislabeled.
JLG I agree, but I think it's a girl, not a guy. I could be wrong considering the changes in our society, but the OP mentions a husband. Either way, where it is posted is of little consequence. :wink:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure every post of Ransx is him complaining about people posting in the wrong forum. all 30 posts or so lol....I do it too, but i have 120000000000 posts so its ok:devil:

ho hum, which of you guys still don't know how to use the quote/multi quote function........lmao

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Lol its ok to slam people when your a site veteran eh

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

pretty bossy for under 30 posts.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
pretty bossy for under 30 posts.
Excuse me for wanting to use a forum that makes some sense. Maybe less than 30 posts here, but this isn't the first forum I've been a part of. Hell, I've probably been using forums longer than you've been going to the bathroom without your mommy wiping your *** for you.

So shut the **** up and try to color between the lines like a normal human that walks upright!

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
hahahaha. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Excuse me for wanting to use a forum that makes some sense. Maybe less than 30 posts here, but this isn't the first forum I've been a part of. Hell, I've probably been using forums longer than you've been going to the bathroom without your mommy wiping your *** for you.

So shut the **** up and try to color between the lines like a normal human that walks upright!
Your excused, can leave whenever you want. Maybe you should go back to your other forums with all your salt. yeah you probably have been using forums longer than me.:poke:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Your excused, can leave whenever you want. Maybe you should go back to your other forums with all your salt. yeah you probably have been using forums longer than me.:poke:
I thought Canadians were just supposed to be sorry? :big_grin:

At least posting in the 2016 section is better than asking a question that's been asked hundreds of times already.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I thought Canadians were just supposed to be sorry? :big_grin:

At least posting in the 2016 section is better than asking a question that's been asked hundreds of times already.
yeah sorry for things i do that are wrong not just for the sake of being sorry. im not soft.:big_grin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts