Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went out sledding today and almost got the truck stuck on a plowed road with my s*#ty procomp tires (they are awfull in the snow). So as soon as I felt the tires slip I stopped and tried to put the truck into 4wd. The lights on the dash for the 4wd indicator just kept on blinking. The lights wouldnt stop blinking and the truck would not engage into 4wd. I tried reverse and forward to get out, 4wd high and 4wd low and nothing, just blinking lights, I didnt even hear the 4wd low engage (usually hear is lock up the hubs).

After getting unstuck and driving home, I hear a loud "grinding" sound that is comming from my rear end. Im going to bring it to a garage hopfully today, but im fearing the worst.

Any ideas on what might have happened let me know

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When the tires were slipping on the ice I made sure to use the brakes to stop the truck tires from spinning before putting it into 4x4. I dont understand why the 4x4 lights on the dash are flicking on and off and why the noise is comming from the rear end. I just had the truck in 4wd three days ago and everything was fine.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The lights blink to indicate that 4wd hasn't engaged yet...Sometimes you just gotta be patient, which kinda sucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went down to the garage and got it all figured out thank god. Apparently, at the same time I was trying to get out of the ice/snow my emergency brack assembly on the right side of the truck blew up and that was the clicking I was hearing when driving home. So, I have to buy new parts for the brakes but at least I dont have to buy a new diff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya usually mines engages right away. Someone had mentioned to me that maybe there might be a fuse gone somewhere. I mean I just used the 4x4 three days ago.

·
Premium Member
58,764 Posts
Well went out sledding today and almost got the truck stuck on a plowed road with my s*#ty procomp tires (they are awfull in the snow). So as soon as I felt the tires slip I stopped and tried to put the truck into 4wd. The lights on the dash for the 4wd indicator just kept on blinking. The lights wouldnt stop blinking and the truck would not engage into 4wd. I tried reverse and forward to get out, 4wd high and 4wd low and nothing, just blinking lights, I didnt even hear the 4wd low engage (usually hear is lock up the hubs).

After getting unstuck and driving home, I hear a loud "grinding" sound that is comming from my rear end. Im going to bring it to a garage hopfully today, but im fearing the worst.

Any ideas on what might have happened let me know
I'm glad to hear that it won't be too expensive but damn. Snow? It's going to be almost 90° here tomorrow and I'm going boating.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't a huge problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I live in Northern Ontario Canada so pretty much that measn that we have the potental to get snow all the way into May. We go fishing in the boats on May Long (third weekend in May) and sometimes the weather is nice, and sometimes we get caught in a snow storm.

On another note, my 4x4 lights continue to just blink when I try to engage it. Im just reading the owners manual agian now and it says not to drive the truck in 4x4 on dry pavement. I did have the truck in 4x4 the other day for approx 20min on dry pavement. Would that have done significant damage to the transfer case or anything else?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh ya and by the way, I took the snow machine out yesterday and theres still a good 2 feet of snow in the bush and at least 2.5 - 3 feet of ice on the lakes :s

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that the manual states that I should drive speeds greater that 100km/hr on dry roads, but I was not going anywhere near that speed, at most driving 60km/hr for approx 20min or so. The manual talks about looking at the 4wd warning light when the ignition is turned to ON so I will go outside on my brake and take a look.

Has anyone else ever had this / or heard of this happening.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
We have a couple member's that launch their Titan's in HI4 to run @ the drag strip. So, i don't think you messed t up just driving on the pavement.

Keep us posted... :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im really hoping I didnt. The total round trip was only 17km w/ the highest speeds only being 60km/hr. Im somewhat worried about it but I will make sure to update as things progress. If anyone else has any ideas id love to hear them.

I found this thread on the forum http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html which gave me some insight and also made me shat in my pants abit.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I used to drive all the time on 4x4 auto never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out to the truck during lunch and compared the gauge lights with the owners manual. They say that when the key is turned to the "ON" position the 4wd "shift indicator" (the symbol that look like 4 tires) should come on and shut off after 1 second. It also says that the "4wd warning light" should come on when the key is switched to "ON" then shut off. On my truck the "4wd warning light" does not turn off when the key is in the "ON" position. The manual say if any malfuntion occures in the 4wd the warning light will remain illuminated of blink. Also when the 4wd warning light comes on, it is keeping the 4wd indicator light out.

I dunno whats going on. Tried the 4wd again and let it sit for a bit with the knob turned to 4wd, nothing happened, moved the truck forward and reverse, again nothing happened.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
That suck's! Are you still under warranty?

·
Premium Member
75,890 Posts

welcome to club e-brake.

the problem you are having (probably) is that when your e-brake imploded it took out your wheel sensor. the wheel sensor, all $12 of it, will disable your 4wd completely and won't allow you to engage it, at all. I learned this, like you, the hard way.

The good news is you can replace the sensor without removing the wheels. The bad news is you'll have to remove the wheels to fix your e-brake. The parts are available at Nissan (I couldn't get the shoes and rotordrum from anywhere else). You'll also need a new hardware kit, $12.

good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I wish I was cause I would just bring it to the dealer. It an 04 so the warrenty is done. Im going to try and narrow it down and fix some of the problems that the truck is having with my main concern being the 4wd cause we use it lots for fishing and hunting.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Deadriver. Thanks a ton for the information. I was looking anywhere for some kind of answer. I have ordered the shoes, and the hardware kit for the truck (but the guys were unable to tell me what exactly in the kit-Iknow it has the springs, clips, and im pretty sure it has the adjuster). I didnt order the wheel sensor yet but I will most definitly look into buying it for sure because I rely on the 4wd all the time. I will make sure I let you know how it turns out. If you have any other tips let me know, I appreciate everything.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I need to do the same thing... My e-brakes are non-existent. :teethmast:teeth:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I will let you know the progress on things as they progress. Im hoping the e-brake kit and shoes will be in today or tomorrow and I will have it back together by the end of the week. Im hoping the sensor lights go out after its back together. A friend of mine has a scanner and we're going to scan it later this week too to see what codes came up then clear them.

I'll keep it posted though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts