Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
Sorry guys, I didn't get around to it. I spent the weekend installing winch wiring and backup lights. It's on my list of things to do this weekend.

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
I went through part of this procedure. I skipped setting the pressure of the tires to the amounts specified in the post that referenced the Maxima forum.

This did not work for me. The light does remain blinking when going from KOEO to Engine running. So I was wrong in that I thought going from KOEO to engine running would reset the process. Oddly enough, you can initiate the relearn process even after the engine has been started.

I initiated the relearn three times and it failed each time. After driving around for a period of time a high pitched warning sound went off and the tire pressure warning light on the instrument cluster went from blinking to solid.

I may try it again this weekend and I'll use the specified PSI settings. However, I'm a bit skeptical that this will work. While you're driving around what else is going on around you? Everybody else's TPMS sensors are sending a signal. So how does the BCM figure out which four signals belong to the Titan? Beats me, and that's why I don't think this will work unless you can drive without any other cars around you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Still waiting for someone to figure out how to turn the TPMS off w/o having to tear into the dash to remove the idiot light. I lost one of the TPMS sensors and don't really feel like spending money to replace it as I check my air pressure weekly.

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
Turning it off is not possible. I think there have been discussions about whether the dealer can even do this with the Consult machine and it didn't sound like they could (or even would).

I wonder what would happen if you activated the same sensor twice? I'll try that today and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
OMG!! THIS WORKS!!!!

Using a digital tire pressure gauge I set the tires at the level specified in post #12 by yellowmantis, initiated the relearn and then drove at 45 mph for 2 miles at which time when the light went off. I was so excited that I pulled a u-turn with a little too much acceleration and roasted both back tires. About a half mile later the light came back on but it was warning me about a low tire pressure situation. I verified that the BCM had indeed picked up on the sensors by looking at the tire pressures on the navigaton screen.

To initiate the relearn you only need to ground the lead five times. Six will also work but five is the minimum necessary. Use as small a paper clip as possible. The plug is a little sensitive so if you cram a large paper clip into the socket you could mess up the socket and the metal lead. If you break it then it isn't a huge deal unless the dealer or tire shop wants to connect to the OEM plug.

Using my tire sensor tool I tried to register the same sensor twice (to work around a situation where you only had three sensors). This did not work. Either the sensor are smart enough or the BCM is. The reason I say the sensor may be smart enough is that when I tried to register the same sensor again my sensor tool displayed an error.

For anyone who doesn't want to go find post #12 here are the PSI settings to use:
Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

It's possible that the exact PSI values aren't necessary. It may be that they simply have to be different from each other by at least 2 PSI.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Glad it worked, I never got around to trying it myself...

·
Registered
190 Posts
What if you were put it on a lift and just throw it in four wheel drive and let the wheels spin at 45mph for however long it needs?

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
Ha, I have thought of doing just that. But I think the VDC and ABLS might trip things up. As long as you can get all four wheels to spin it should work to activate the TPMS.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discount reprogrammed mine on our mada. Pretty sure the ones on my truck werent reprogrammed since I got my tires at a shady shop. Can they be reprogrammed with the tire on?

·
Premium Member
18,927 Posts
Discount reprogrammed mine on our mada. Pretty sure the ones on my truck werent reprogrammed since I got my tires at a shady shop. Can they be reprogrammed with the tire on?
Yes, you can do it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
23 Participants
mekirk2
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing