Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I’ve got a 2006 4x4 LE CC with 161k on it. Truck has always been stone reliable. Zero issues.

2 days ago I was driving on the highway at night and suddenly lost power. No CEL, no noises, nothing funny with the dash or lights, just no response at the throttle. I pulled over. From that point it would crank vigorously but wasn‘t catching at all. No start.

Got towed home. Next morning I tried starting again and it would catch momentarily. A couple of times it started but would idle super rough for a moment and then die. By then battery was getting weak and I needed to go to work so I charged the battery overnight and am now troubleshooting.

CEL has never come on. Code reader says no codes.

Before putting the battery back in I swapped the ecm and fog light relays. No change, just cranked and didn’t fire. Swapped them back.

More attempts to start resulted in a few more of the catch, stumble, die routine but at no point has it really started and idled since dying on the freeway.

Air filter is clean.

Fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank. There was one time years ago that it was out of gas while still showing fuel on the gauge. I know there was some sort of recall related to this. I never had recall done but other than that one incident gauge has always been reliable. I did add a 1/2 gallon of fuel just in case. No difference.

I‘m suspecting the fuel pump but I’ve never had a fuel pump go out suddenly like that. Up to the moment it died throttle response was completely normal. With ignition on I can hear a buzz/hum from the fuel tank area. I have not tested for fuel pressure.

- Is there an easy way to check fuel pressure? Since there no schrader valve on the fuel line I’m thinking no, but would love to know how I can do it.

- Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,388 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump. If you have the shop manual, there is a way to check the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Take rag and soak it in gas. Remove the air box lid. While someone is cranking it over, hold the gas soaked rag in the air intake and see if it will start. Hang on to the rag tight so you don't suck it into the intake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, a little starter fluid in the throttle body and it started smooth for a moment. I’m like, “this is fuel”.

I wasn’t too excited about dropping the tank in the street in front of my house, especially with the street mostly covered in snow and ice. So I went and filled a 5 gallon gas can and dumped it in just in case...

First thing I noticed when I got in the cab was that the fuel gauge was in the exact same spot as before the 5 gallons went in. Fired right up, running fine.

A little embarrassing but it did say it had over 1/4 tank. This happened once before but that was about 10 years ago and the gauge was at least low that time. Guess I’ll get that recall done after all.

Thanks for the attempts to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 541889

Well, a little starter fluid in the throttle body and it started smooth for a moment. I’m like, “this is fuel”.

I wasn’t too excited about dropping the tank in the street in front of my house, especially with the street mostly covered in snow and ice. So I went and filled a 5 gallon gas can and dumped it in just in case...

First thing I noticed when I got in the cab was that the fuel gauge was in the exact same spot as before the 5 gallons went in. Fired right up, running fine.

A little embarrassing but it did say it had over 1/4 tank. This happened once before but that was about 10 years ago and the gauge was at least low that time. Guess I’ll get that recall done after all.

Thanks for the attempts to help.
I’ve found that none of the gauges are accurate at all. Gotta go by trip and odometer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts