Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else read this month's issue of Diesel Power? really great article about Cummins and how they helped save the Dodge Ram back in the late 80's. In the last couple paragraphs of the editorial they talked about how Cummins has 4.0L V-6 and a 5.0L V-8 turbo diesel engines that have been in development for over a decade and just need a home.
I agree with the article that Nissan partnered with Cummins could resurrect the Titan name from dead last in sales. The Big Three have more to lose with a 1/2 ton diesel because it would cut in to their 3/4 and 1 ton market, but the T is riding on an old setup with an old bodystyle. Though I think it is still a great truck, I sold my 2007 GMC Sierra HD with a Duramax and bought my Titan, it definitely needs something new to save it from being scrapped. You can't be last in sales for years on end and have no major updates to your truck and expect Nissan to keep making them.
The 4.0L would have to be making 200-225 HP and 350-375 lb-ft TQ stock and the 5.0L I would guess to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-325 HP and 425-450 lb-ft TQ. Either of these engines in an updated Titan would sell like gangbusters. Hell you could throw them in the exact same truck Nissan is hocking now and you would have a couple of years of great sales to help pay for an updated design.
Maybe I'm just a dreamer but to me this seems like a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
75,083 Posts
It's about marketing. If Nissan would take what is on this forum and actually use it in commercials more loyal Big 3 buyers MAY just consider the Titan. I bought the titan because I drove everything else first and just couldn't settle. I was reluctant to drive a Titan as the body style was a little agressive when compared to what was out at the time. Now, the Titan still looks new, the style of the big 3 is somewhat a knock off of what Nissan did (don't get your panties wadded, I realize Nissan didn't invent the pick up truck and probably took some pointers).

The 3/4 Ton option is very appealing to current Titan owners however Nissan probably feels it'll have one hell of a time breaking into the 3/4 ton market. They already own diesel motors that could be place in an existing chassis and a titan cab and bed dropped on. I'm not sure about the drive line though and what transmission and rears are available.

with declining titan sales I don't see them making this leap, not in this economic climate.

BUT I sure wish they would.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DeadRiver is unfortunately probably correct on this - it's all about profitability. I really don't want Nissan to change the body styling - I think it's the best looking truck on the market. I'd love to see a 3/4 ton Titan with a diesel - I think that there's a whole lotta current Titan owners (myself included) that would trade up to a new Titan if they built a 3/4 ton diesel.

I really don't want a huge payment on a new truck (my Titan is paid for!), but I'm really not satisfied with the 3/4 ton offerings from the Big 3, so a new Titan, if built correctly, would certainly entice me to make that jump. I just want to be able to tow 12k or so and get a diesel that can get 20mpg. That is totally doable with the Titan platform IMO.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I myself am going to be selling my titan for a 3/4 powerstroke. I love my nissan so much just doesn't have the things I need that are in a diesel. Maybe it would be cool if they "broke the mold" and came up with something new like a class of truck that fills the void between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. I don't necessarily want to be able to tow 15,000 pounds. I would be happy with them beefing it up to a point where its not so heavy duty as a 3/4 but more than a 1/2 and slap a decent mpg diesel in it with a larger differential that had maybe a 12-13k pound tow rating. Now I am gonna go buy a crappy truck from the big 3 and be unhappy like everyone else lol.:crying:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Nissan has been comfortably adamnant that they are going to introduce a New Titan in or about MY 2014. Some thing BIG, will happen power train wise. More than the VD56DE. Diesel even in a 1/2 ton may happen as smaller Diesels are coming out, as are the Direct injected Turbo Gas Engines like Ford Eco Series. Hybrid might be a surprise for us. It will have to be the most modern engine of all 1/2 ton Pickups, as Fed stds and market demand is strong for economy increases. The NV Commercial Van is now on market, with a modified Titan frame. Where is its Diesel?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if all goes according to plan i'll be trading up to a 3/4 ton cummins 2011 with the 800ft/lb torque high output. Laramie crew everything but rear entertainment. saw one at the dealership last weekend, some guy on nantucket ordered it, gorgeous truck $54,600. payments are gonna be funnn

·
Registered
511 Posts
I read a report that said one of the big wigs at Toyota stated they will essentially be forced to use diesels in half tons to meet the emerging CAFE mileage standards. Now I heard on the news that the CAFE mileage standards were decided by the vacationer in chief (somehow). I guess that could change in 2 years if we get a new administration?

·
Registered
17 Posts
gusman - got any pics of your nav install - I'd like to see how that turned out for you.

As far as CAFE standards go, I think that the feds are getting a bit crazy with this crap - and IMO, enough is enough. Ditto on the emissions standards. These laws and standards only force more costs to be passed to the consumer in the end. Sure, they increase the mileage average accross the board, and reduce emissions. But do the benefits outweight the costs? Hard to determine.

Sometimes you can take a good thing a bit too far......

Besides, will it really matter when you have people buying aftermarket tuners and other products that drastically increase the emissions output (esp. diesels), even if it is "technically" illegal (in some states)?

Bottom line - it's needless regulation of the industry. This is a free market society; let the free market determine the outcome, not government regulation.

Now, if only Nissan would build that damn 3/4 ton we've all been dreaming about......

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I sold my Titan in favor of a 1-ton diesel. Poor gas mileage and limited towing (even though it is great for 1/2 ton) made the decision easier for me. If I ever get another 1/2 ton gasser, the Titan will be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
gusman - got any pics of your nav install - I'd like to see how that turned out for you.As far as CAFE standards go, I think that the feds are getting a bit crazy with this crap - and IMO, enough is enough. Ditto on the emissions standards. These laws and standards only force more costs to be passed to the consumer in the end. Sure, they increase the mileage average accross the board, and reduce emissions. But do the benefits outweight the costs? Hard to determine.

Sometimes you can take a good thing a bit too far......

Besides, will it really matter when you have people buying aftermarket tuners and other products that drastically increase the emissions output (esp. diesels), even if it is "technically" illegal (in some states)?

Bottom line - it's needless regulation of the industry. This is a free market society; let the free market determine the outcome, not government regulation.

Now, if only Nissan would build that damn 3/4 ton we've all been dreaming about......
umm i'm not sure if i have any up on here. there's a thread called like "my aftermarket factory navigation" thats basically identical to what i did. I got an album on facebook but de-activated my account for a week to see if i can make it without fb for a week. when I reactivate it i can post the public link

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is something that has plaqued me since for the last few months. I want to buy a toy hauler, but the T isnt rated for it's weight. I dont want to purchase a 3/4 ton diesel because i dont like what is on the market. If Nissan used a diesel, i would buy it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts