Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 4x4 SE with BT. My dash has a diff lock button/switch. Why would I need a tru-track or other aftermarket locker? Does the stock one only work in 4 low? What are its limitations? When do I use it? Im going to the desert tomorrow and want to know how to use it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I have an 06 4x4 SE with BT. My dash has a diff lock button/switch. Why would I need a tru-track or other aftermarket locker? Does the stock one only work in 4 low? What are its limitations? When do I use it? Im going to the desert tomorrow and want to know how to use it. Thanks!
The diff lock in the titan only works in 4 lo, and to my understanding it only works while under 12 mph. I would put a TT in it anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Yeah, 4LO only, although there are a couple of threads about how to bypass that. TruTrac is a limited slip (not a locker) that works in any gear, that works mechanically and automatically, without user input, and is thus more suited to on-street driving, although I don't think there is really much need in Orange County, CA.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The effectiveness of the factory E-Lock gets much better after modifying it to work any time you need it...just a little electrical wizardry :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, 4LO only, although there are a couple of threads about how to bypass that. TruTrac is a limited slip (not a locker) that works in any gear, that works mechanically and automatically, without user input, and is thus more suited to on-street driving, although I don't think there is really much need in Orange County, CA.
Did you mean off road driving? We do have paved roads here in OC.:)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Did you mean off road driving? We do have paved roads here in OC.:)
Sorry, that was poorly phrased. What I meant was with the weather in OC, it may not be worth the money to get a LSD like the TruTrac, which is much more helpful on paved roads where they have snow and ice in the winter. For OC, I am thinking you go offroad in the sand, or maybe pull a boat up a wet ramp, and it seems to me that the factory e-locker is fine for that.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just completed the e-lock mod.:) When I go wheeling, are there any cons to having/using this mod? I plan on running it in 4 hi most of the time in mud,sand,and dirt, and some steep fire roads. I read that you should not use it on pavement because it could break while turning because it acts as a spool. Is there anything else I should know? Are these axles weak? I have heard of numerous failures. Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
They have powdered metal spider gears that sometimes fail, perhaps some of them were not properly mfgd or heat treated or something. At some point they apparently went from a two spider to a stronger four spider design. Austin, the EE who came up with the bypass mod, eventually wiped out his e-locker and then installed a truetrac. He had oversize tires and ran it fairly hard offroad IIRC.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I have a two spider design on my Titan. The e-lock has been fine in the OEM 4LO-only setup, but I only use it for slow speed and probably never have had it near to the 12 mph speed maximum, instructed by Nissan.

For the off roading I've done, I never felt the need for doing Austin's mod, and since Nissan designed it for 12 mph maximum, I figured there wasn't much point in having it in 2wd or 4HI. Since some people were already having problems with their spiders rounding off, thought why force the issue.

Only use the e-lock to crawl up steep trails at something more like 4 to 6 mph, because of really big ruts and embankments to the side, (have to place the wheels carefully). For higher speeds I always run in 2wd or 4HI, because 4LO without the locker engaged has a 30 mph limitation.

If my spiders do ever round off and if the pieces don't take out the ring and pinion too, I will likely replace them, (and the locker), with a TruTrac. Just don't use the e-lock enough to justify the additional expense of a complete new rear end from Nissan, unless the rest of the gears go too.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I re-did Austin's writeup with some newer photos after confirming it to work on the newer models, but it's still the same for the older ones as well. I have some issues with it not always engaging with the first flip, but that may be cause my relay is messed up and I havent had time to troubleshoot much more. I have used it in every mode: 2wd, 4hi and 4lo, up to 60mph in 2wd on dirt, and about 50 in 4hi on dirt and snow. It makes a big differance in available traction when you need it but don't want 4lo. As for durability, I guess we'll see over time. I don't use it that often now that I did all the testing with it I wanted to, but it's nice to know its there if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help, I recently had the rear diff change in my 2005 XE King Cab. Now when I put it in to 4 wheel drive, The rear tires will lock up and you cannot drive the truck. It seems that each wheel is not in sync with each other. Being to told that there are 2 different diffs, locking and non locking. could this be the problem.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Rear gears don't match front diff gears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts