Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 with the orig diff on it so I wanted to ask...

I noticed a noise this morning when I was backing into the driveway, so I had my wife come down and ran some "tests".

The rear diff (it's a 2wd) makes a noise when going from Park to Drive and back to Park as well as when going from Park to Reverse and back to Park. It's not like a scary noise... it could very well be a normal gear change sound. Nothing sounds like it's grinding or whatever... just an obvious gear-like sound of some sort.

Is this normal or should the diff be completely silent?

No noise it made when in actual motion in either direction. It's just when you make the change from one direction to the other (park, forward, backwards)... if that makes sense.

Just want to know if I should go get me a new diff while I'm still under warranty or not.

Thanks for the info gents!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
SirKeats said:
I have an 04 with the orig diff on it so I wanted to ask...

I noticed a noise this morning when I was backing into the driveway, so I had my wife come down and ran some "tests".

The rear diff (it's a 2wd) makes a noise when going from Park to Drive and back to Park as well as when going from Park to Reverse and back to Park. It's not like a scary noise... it could very well be a normal gear change sound. Nothing sounds like it's grinding or whatever... just an obvious gear-like sound of some sort.

Is this normal or should the diff be completely silent?

No noise it made when in actual motion in either direction. It's just when you make the change from one direction to the other (park, forward, backwards)... if that makes sense.

Just want to know if I should go get me a new diff while I'm still under warranty or not.

Thanks for the info gents!

That's very normal. If you pause in neutral for one second, you won't hear anything.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hold your brake and move back and forth from d to R. Should be quiet. If it is quiet, you are probavly hearing other wheel noise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was indeed holding the break during my tests. the noise was from p to d and p to r (and vise versa). i didn't try d to r at all. i'll give that a go and see. i'll also try the neutral trick too and see if i still hear noise. glad to hear it's normal... although if my diff's gonna go, i pray it goes before the warranty is out! LOL

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
sudden urge said:
That's very normal. If you pause in neutral for one second, you won't hear anything.
:cheers: What I've been doing and I hear nothing. I only get the D to R or R to D clunk when everything is warm from driving, never when cool/cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts