Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know ive started quite a few threads with questions already. So i hope you guys can bear with me one more time.

On the door it says to use 35psi in the tires. It also says that i should have 285/70/17 BFG RT wheels stock yet i have 275/70/17 Michelins (bought the truck used). I was wondering, with aftermarket tires, and wheels and all the different sizes, should you continue to follow the door psi? Or what should be followed?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just me but I'd follow whatever the tire says on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the one that says maximum load blah blah blah (whatever psi here) ?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Just me but I'd follow whatever the tire says on it.
Tire only states maximum psi. It would not be a good idea to inflate to maximum as heat will cause a pressure increase in the tire, thus exceeding that maximum. 35 psi is the recommended level but useage will dictate optimal pressure. Also, different brands of tires seem have their own "feel" where higher or lower pressures might be beneficial. I have come to enjoy 40 psi front and 39 psi rear for the OEM Goodyear (good for one year) tires during warmer seasons, and 37 front and 36 rear for colder times.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The correct psi is determined by how much load rating you require at the time, and of course never exceed the maximum psi rating.

I have light truck tires with a 3195 pound load limit ... but only at the maximum psi of 65 pounds. The top speed ratings of tires is at their maximum psi as well.

In fact at 35 psi the passenger rated tires that come with the off road pkg. can handle more load, (*2833 lbs.), than my light truck tires of the same size and same manufacturer!

But you cannot increase the psi of the passenger tires, because they're already at their upper limit, while at some point of inflation of the light truck tires, (53 or 54 psi), you meet the passenger rated tire's upper limit, and after that you reap the benefits of the light truck tires' greater load capabilities. So the logic of passenger rated tires on a truck makes a little more sense.

*Note: Michelin points out "Passenger sizes used in Light Truck/SUV applications have reduced load capacity. This will differ from the maximum load branded on the tire sidewall."

Many of the light truck tires you can also air down to low teens and even single digit psi for the dunes and even rock crawling. The passenger rated tires won't hold up long to this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts