Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an 04 LE 4x4. First big snow hit yesterday and had the 4wd engaged and put it into 4lo with diff locked to make sure it was still working. I had trouble getting it to engage initially. After it engaged, I had trouble taking it out. ABS and SLIP light both come on. Then, they shut off and the Diff Lock light comes on and flickers. These lights have been coming on back and forth (in 2wd). Any ideas on the problem? I took it to the only small shop in town and they were not able to figure it out. They told me to take it into a dealer which is 2 hours away. Anyone ever experience this or know what it could be?

Also, bought the truck with 40k and now have 70k. If I take it to a dealer, what other service should I have done on it since Im there. I have changed oil only.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Hey guys,

I have an 04 LE 4x4. First big snow hit yesterday and had the 4wd engaged and put it into 4lo with diff locked to make sure it was still working. I had trouble getting it to engage initially. After it engaged, I had trouble taking it out. ABS and SLIP light both come on. Then, they shut off and the Diff Lock light comes on and flickers. These lights have been coming on back and forth (in 2wd). Any ideas on the problem? I took it to the only small shop in town and they were not able to figure it out. They told me to take it into a dealer which is 2 hours away. Anyone ever experience this or know what it could be?

Also, bought the truck with 40k and now have 70k. If I take it to a dealer, what other service should I have done on it since Im there. I have changed oil only.

Thanks.
I've had that happen to be before once, everything was normal. You are putting the truck in neutral and pressing on the brake when putting it in 4LO correct? Does the 4x4 indicator blink?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah, bad wheel speed sensor or ABS sensor will cause problems with the 4wd system. I did have an issue quite similar to what you are experiencing when my transfer case control module went bad, but the telltale sign of that failure is seeing the wheel diagram on the dash disappear completely. When the transfer case controller went bad, it was really slow to shift in/out of 4lo, and made a nasty clunking sound, the e-locker would flicker as you described (because it wasn't in 4lo properly), and the wheel diagram which indicates you are in 4wd disappeared and did not come back. The ATP light also came on when it refused to switch out of 4lo, and then it would clunk back to 4hi after several minutes of weird noises. But with your symptoms I agree with DR that it is possibly a bad ABS sensor or wheel speed sensor. Also, check your ABS sensor wires for signs of damage. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, thanks for input. I am hoping it is not a bigger problem. I was driving through some really deep snow so maybe that caused it. Anyways, drove it with lights on today to work. On the way home, they never came back on. It seems like when one thing goes everything else does. I just had it into that shop because the truck was spitting out gas when I filled it. They said it was a filler breather valve that had turned on the Check Engine Light. I cant complain though, truck has been good to me.

Any recommendations on service at 70k?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Alright, thanks for input. I am hoping it is not a bigger problem. I was driving through some really deep snow so maybe that caused it. Anyways, drove it with lights on today to work. On the way home, they never came back on. It seems like when one thing goes everything else does. I just had it into that shop because the truck was spitting out gas when I filled it. They said it was a filler breather valve that had turned on the Check Engine Light. I cant complain though, truck has been good to me.

Before you go and take it into the dealer check your brake fluid. If it is low it will cause alot of those exact symptoms. Also if you try to engage your locker when the diff is cold it will take forever to engage. Also get your battery tested to see if it is going bad... if those are all ok then have the sensors checked and go from there.

·
Registered
372 Posts

At 70k you should have all the fluids changed = transfer case , tranny , front & rear diffs.
Also spark plugs wouldnt hurt
All simple things that you could do on your own, dont let the dealer rape you on simple maintenance

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks.
Normal. Theres nothing wrong with your ABS. The ABS system is always disabled and the ABS light illuminated while the rear E-LOCK is engaged. The VDC light, if you had it, would also be lit. The SLIP light will flash anytime one of the front wheels is spinning, while in 4LO and diff locked, since front wheel ABLS is still operational in this case.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lights are back on again. Looks like I will be making a trip to the dealership. Anyone have experience with dealerships in the Watertown, NY area?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Read the owners manual for info on what to have done at 70k. Spark plugs are a waste of money since they're NGK Platinums good for at least 105k. The dealership will want to do all kinds of crap and charge you for it. Make sure they do no more and no less than what the owners manual calls for. You'll be throwing away money otherwise. Are the lights you're talking about on all the time...even when in 2WD and normal driving?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Read the owners manual for info on what to have done at 70k. Spark plugs are a waste of money since they're NGK Platinums good for at least 105k. The dealership will want to do all kinds of crap and charge you for it. Make sure they do no more and no less than what the owners manual calls for. You'll be throwing away money otherwise. Are the lights you're talking about on all the time...even when in 2WD and normal driving?
Equally important, make sure they do everything they charge you for! My dealer tried to charge me for a diff oil change but I was watching the mechanic the whole time and he never touched it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hudson, The Differential light is very intermittent. While driving, the differential light came on and then flickered on and off for a few minutes. It then went off all together and ABS and SLIP both came on. When those turned off the Diff light came back on.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Hudson, The Differential light is very intermittent. While driving, the differential light came on and then flickered on and off for a few minutes. It then went off all together and ABS and SLIP both came on. When those turned off the Diff light came back on.
Ok, assuming you mean regular driving while in 2WD, I'd have it checked. I've heard of similar symptoms leading to a failing rear end or front diff. It could also be something stupid like a sensor (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ok, assuming you mean regular driving while in 2WD, I'd have it checked. I've heard of similar symptoms leading to a failing rear end or front diff. It could also be something stupid like a sensor (hopefully).
Yes...indeed. This is pretty much the exact same series of events that led to me having to have the rear differential and a control module replaced at 30K miles. Fortunately it was under warranty or it would have been $3000 out-of-pocket.

Here's the original thread where I posted it: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/72579-diff-lock-slip-abs-lights.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geez, i'm getting scared now after reading that post. However, I still am hopeful it is something electrical since it stemmed from the first time I used E-locker this year. Also, I do have an 04 with the problematic differentials, but when i bought it with 40000 miles, I noticed the differential has the aluminum finned cover which led me to believe it has already been replaced.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Well I wouldn't do anything until you have the dealer check it out first. I swapped out the old cover for the newer finned cover on my 04 when I had it without actually swapping rear ends so the cover doesn't always mean it's been upgraded. I did eventually need the rear end replaced anyhow though but I forgot at what mileage that was.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had the local guy fix my filler breather valve and he gave me the code for the differential/abs/slip light which was C1187. I looked it up and it is Brake Fluid Level Sensor Input Open Circuit. I will give the fluid a look and hopefully that resolves the problem. I just wonder why it would also light up the differential light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone experienced the code I am getting? C1187? I have an appointment at the dealship for them to check it out. I am just wondering if anyone has gotten this and subsequently lost their differential. It seems like a lot of guys have had the slip/abs lights kick on. I have those coming on as well as the differential light. The only other person I have seen this happen to looks like he had to replace differential.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts