Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at about how many mileage should the front and rear differential fluid be changed?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The factory change intervals are dependent upon how you use the vehicle. For towing, off-road, muddy road, etc. kind of driving, it is recommended to change the diff fluid every 30k miles. For regular, around town driving, there is no change interval noted in the factory service and maintenance bulletin. If you use your truck around town and don't tow or off-road, I'd consider something like 60-100k a useful diff change interval, but the reality is, if you're not working the truck all that hard, the diff oil is going to hold up for a long, long time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I have about 135k miles and have never changed out the diff. Oils. I will probably do it this year.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hot Damn son! How do you sleep at night?lol I do it at 20k to get all the break in shavings out then at 100k with a good synthetic. Depends how.much you tow, etc..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha. It keeps me up at night based on your response I should get it changed soon. Thanks

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well, bearing in mind that if you do not tow or do muddy/dusty roads or other "hard use" the factory doesn't recommend a change interval, I think you're alright.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hahaha. It keeps me up at night based on your response I should get it changed soon. Thanks
Cheap insurance and it's so easy to do. Dont forget the transfer case. At 20k it resembled burnt coffee...and so glad I did them all early.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Transfer case is easy. Pull the fill plug and then put a bucket under the drain plug and pull the drain plug. Once it stops dripping, put the drain plug back in, and refill with the correct fluid (listed in your owner's manual), then reinstall the fill plug.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Its ATF I forget what flavor. Don't forget to use Teflon tape on plugs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the drain and fill procedures for fluids on my YouTube page.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't tow with my 2012, and I'm at 130,000 miles. Changed the diffs and transfer case fluids every 35K miles. Like noted above, cheap insurance. I run 4x4H regularly during the winter and hunting seasons.

This most recent fluid change, the mechanic mentioned he struggled with the drain and fill plugs with corrosion, really tight and they've been removed several times already. Just saying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts