Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kicker CVR daul voice coil 10's ran off of a 800w phoenix gold mono channel amp. I am running it off of a HI-Low converter right now. I have 4 gauge power and ground wire. I sanded the paint off of the seat post and grounded there. My light dim out horribly bad when i have it turned up at all. any suggestions that might fix this? is it the HI-Low converter?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've heard the OEM battery in the T sux in regards to car audio

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i have the battery that they sell at wal-mart in it. its duralast or something.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It was just an idea, i only drove my T for about 1.5 weeks with the system before i left. I never drove it at night with the boom boom on. Search the forum its been talked about on here before.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I've never had any issue like that... But I have no idea what a high low converter is... lol. I know I don't have one and my setup works just fine

·
Registered
384 Posts
I believe the high/low convertor turns your speaker wire (high level) into a rca output (low level)

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Oh so pretty much a line out converter. That's weird, maybe your alternator is going out? My friends 99 tacoma runs a generic battery and rocks a 700w amp no problem

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah its a line out coverter sorry. i bought my truck brand new and had the issue from about 4 months old. i just need to but a double din and be done w/ it. everyone has a real set up and no problems. i half *** it w/ a line out converter and it sounds like crap and my lights look like strobes :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
A grounding kit should fix it, at least that's what I've been told. I've wanted to make one for awhile now but just never got around to it. Here's a link to an old website that has the installation instructions. ActiveTuning 04-07 Nissan Titan/Pathfinder Armada Custom Engine Grounding System Installation - ActiveTuning
It seems pretty straight forward. I thought an odyssey battery would help and it hasn't really. It isn't worth it to go buy one either, you can make em for half the price easily.

Reactions: IbChris

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
try a cap or a dual battery setup

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have 2 kicker CVR daul voice coil 10's ran off of a 800w phoenix gold mono channel amp. I am running it off of a HI-Low converter right now. I have 4 gauge power and ground wire. I sanded the paint off of the seat post and grounded there. My light dim out horribly bad when i have it turned up at all. any suggestions that might fix this? is it the HI-Low converter?
Why are you using a converter to take power that is 12V and turn it in to 12V to power something that is 12volt? :bangit:

Take your converter out of the sequence, run power wires directly from the battery to amplifier and ground the amp DIRECTLY to the chassis. Then upgrade your alternator to battery wires, upgraded battery and battery to chassis wires commonly known as (big3 upgrade).

·
Registered
869 Posts
the battery setup yes but a $15 dollar cap wouldnt hurt
I knew this would come up at some point. A cap is CRAP. It's a bandaid solution that covers up (and badly at that) a bigger problem.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why are you using a converter to take power that is 12V and turn it in to 12V to power something that is 12volt? :bangit:

Take your converter out of the sequence, run power wires directly from the battery to amplifier and ground the amp DIRECTLY to the chassis. Then upgrade your alternator to battery wires, upgraded battery and battery to chassis wires commonly known as (big3 upgrade).
Its a line out converter. nothing to do with power. it is a little device that wires into the stock speaker wire to get signal for and amp. im using that because i wanted to keep the OEM head unit. i dont think it has anything to do with power coming from battery....would having my system wired for a 2, 4, or 8 ohm load matter on power being taken from the battery? if so what ohm load takes the least power?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What model is your phoenix gold amp? And what ohms are your subs? IMO getting a cap or battery isnt going to solve your issue. I have ran serveral amps in my titan and the only time I had bad dimming is when I had a RF 1500 and 400 watt amp installed......:)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I had #2 Kicker zx750.1 and 250.2 with no porblems. But I had a kinetik khc800 battery and the big3. I wish I still had it all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Its a line out converter. nothing to do with power. it is a little device that wires into the stock speaker wire to get signal for and amp. im using that because i wanted to keep the OEM head unit. i dont think it has anything to do with power coming from battery....would having my system wired for a 2, 4, or 8 ohm load matter on power being taken from the battery? if so what ohm load takes the least power?
I know what the converter does I was confused how you worded it.
I thought you meant that you were using a converter to take 12v to 12v... That was my mistake.

In any case the rest of my post holds true, do the big3 and you should see improvement, a Capacitor will help a little on the BIG bass hits but that's about it. The best you could do is get a kinetic battery and use that instead of a regular Lead Acid battery as they discharge much quicker and can still be used to start your car. That would be the cheapest way to eliminate the dimming in conjunction with a larger alternator.
1800 Watt High Current Car Audio Power Cell KHC1800 - $247.59 :
Alternatively you could go with a Red or Yellow top battery and beef up your wiring to handle the amplifier (Big3), but you would still have slight dimming.

·
Premium Member
77,842 Posts
Try shortening the power and ground wires to the absolute minimum length needed to make the connections. If the line out converter is adjustable, give the gain no more than a quarter turn.

And when you say "turn it all the way up", that's a problem, too. What do you have for mids/highs?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just recently had a system installed in my 08 T, and also wanted to keep the stock look. I had a shop here in florida install a Memphis Audio 6 which is along the same lines as a JL Clean sweep... Basically a line out converter that boosts the speaker output more then even an aftermarket Head unit. I have two amps running and have no problems 1- 800w for subs and 1-400w for door speakers, and it rocks. No head light dimming at all. So your fix is either your Battery is a little weak or your Alternator is on it's way out... Hope this Helps

Reactions: IbChris
1 - 20 of 20 Posts