Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a misfire that has stumped as of now. A little background on me. I am a 10 year Honda/Acura master technican, I have worked on every make and model that can come to mind, so I'm not what you would call an amateur. I have owned my titan since 2010, and bought a 2015Armada sl for the wife. So there's all that.

2008 Titan Flex 147,000. Stock, no mods.

Every now and then, usually twice a year, I get this crazy misfire and the truck goes limp mode, flashes SES which means cat damaging misfire. Always, when it gets colder during the day than the morning, it will run like crap until I get home, park it, the next 362 days of the year no problems. Yesterday it was worse than usual and actually died on me. So I hooked up my Snapon ethos and found the lame p0300. So I dug deeper in the PIDs and found cylinder 3,5 and 7 show misfires, but not 1 so not the whole bank. So I got to 7 because it's the worst offender and swapped the coil, then the plug, then the injector with cylinder 4 which has no misfires. Still there. Check continuity to ground for the coil, that's good. Check continuity for the blue/white wire and that's good. The "power" wire for the coil shows the same voltage as all the others when running. I sprayed the intake down with carb cleaner to see if I have an intake leak, no dice there. And of course, by the time I finish all of this, nothing is misfiring anymore.

I can only logically believe that it's the pcm, but more of a programming issue than an actual hardware issue, but I can't be certain.

The joke is it started acting a jerk right after I test drove a 2019 Midnight Edition.

So has anyone else had this oddball problem? I work close to home but I definitely am having some trust issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a very similar issue with my 2006 Armada. Has happened twice, both during long trips.

The first was about a year ago. Coming home from a 5 hour trip I started to feel a skip when I was accelerating. Was only about 15 minutes from home and was able to get there with it "missing" under anything over a very light acceleration. At idle it didn't skip. CEL showed the code for misfire (don't remember exactly which cylinder). Started it the next morning and it ran fine. Changed the plugs and test drove it and it ran fine.

The most recent (last week), I was 9 hours from home (was driving the entire 9 hours) when it began to skip or misfire when I was accelerating. Eventually, it wouldn't go forward any further and would not respond to throttle input. It was stuttering badly at idle (in park) but no CEL. I shut the vehicle off and called a tow truck. Had it towed to a local Nissan dealership. Once there, it cranked up and ran fine. They kept it for 2 days testing various things and could not find any issues. They told me, "your vehicle runs great". Drove 9 hours back home with no problems.

I understand your trust issue. Would love to find out what's going on so I can get it fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts