Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a rack for my canoe for about $50 CAD that ended up working very well and is exceptionally solid, no movement at all. Vertical pieces are 4x4 and the horizontal are 2x4. They are fastened into the utilitrac rails using thomas and Betts channel nuts. I used 2.5" L × 3/8" and 5.5" L x 3/8" hex head bolts with spring lock washers. Corner brackets were made with plywood. The 8 foot 4x4s cut in half gave the canoe enough clearance above the truck roof. I used plywood as spacers to accommodate the bolt length.

My canoe is Kevlar and light, I can put it up and take it down easily myself.

The pictures should explain the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nice job man. Being CDO, I would probably add some sort of foam pad to the front tip of the canoe in case the front got pushed down by a down draft. That's as long as it stayed on during travel. Still great job though.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hey looking at your pics again today, is your Utilitrac side rail upside down,.... or is mine? Mine has the C channel on top and the flat mounting surface on the bottom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Yes the rail is upside down. I bought the truck used and the guy before had done that, I presume for a tonneau cover.

I was worried about the bow hitting the sunroof so I moved the canoe forward slightly. It's several inches above the roof and was fine on rough mountain gravel roads. You could add more height by adding another 2x4 to the top of the rack.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
that's awesome man way to think to use the utili trac. awesome diy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts