Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last hour or so searching for folks that have replaced the seal themselves, but came up blank. My tailpipe broke today where it attaches after the muffler and so I checked out the rest of the underside and found a transmission mount that is cracked and my drivers side seal on the front diff is leaking.

My front (and rear) diffs were both replaced in early 2009 with "updated" parts so I was hoping for a little more reliability. Both U-joints on the front drive shaft were replaced end of '09. The axle didn't pop out like others have had problems with, just if I grab it there is a lot of motion like a joystick and the leak is small. I understand a little play is normal, but this seems like a lot.

Is this a seal issue or am I looking at bearing too (can this be replaced?) or worst case new diff??? I'm at a whoping 51K but over a year past the powertrain 5 year warranty.

My battery lasted almost 6 years, but the drivetrain has been a constant problem! I don't use 4wd unless it is really bad snow/ice and don't offroad.:bangit:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a friend weld on a sleve and put the tailpipe back on. Also spot welded the heatshields as they were all loose and driving me nuts.

So anyone that has changed the front diff seals have any advice? Easy or hard, any special tools...

Oh, I think one of my manifolds is going out. There is a distinct "put put" exhaust sound accelerating that increases in frequency with the RPM's.

My tools are 500 miles away and am in the middle of a move so just wanting to get prepared to tackle this axle deal.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/68142-front-axle-failer-thread.html

Leaks around the flanges where the CV shafts bolt up are often associated with the half shafts pulling out because of a defective design of the 04 and 05 front diffs.

Some people have been able to push the shaft back in, to re-engage the c-clip on the inner end of the half shaft with the internal groove in the side gear.

06+ diffs were redesigned to strengthen the case and resist half shaft pull out.

The 04 and 05 diffs can apparently be rebuilt with 06+ parts per a post by wrench5

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...-front-axle-failer-thread-13.html#post2314624

As far as replacing a side seal, I believe it involves:

1. supporting front diff with jack
2. unbolting cvs at the flanges of the front diff
3. unbolting the driveshaft
4. unbolting the mount point bolts
5. lowering the front diff
6. pulling the half shaft with a slide hammer puller or by hitting flange with a rubber hammer
7. pulling seal with a seal puller or by drilling hole in seal and engaging screw end of a dent puller type of slide hammer

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best-

Thanks for the info! My front diff is the new one (as of 2009). If it is just the seal, I think I can get it figured out with your list. Anyway to tell if it is the bearing as well? I ask because of the movement of the axle maybe 1/4" up/down and all around in the diff housing. Can't remember if that much movement is normal. Changing the bearing may be a whole other challenge.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The inner end of the shaft has external splines which engage the internal splines of the side gear. A C-clip rides in a circumferential groove on the very inner end of the shaft and the outer circumferential surface of the clip engages a complementary groove provided in the side gear. So if the half shaft flange is pulled away from the diff housing, this means that the C-clip is no longer engaged. Radial play of the half shaft flange is constrained by a bearing, and .25" of radial play in the bearing is not kosher.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pics. It doesn't feel like the half shaft is popping out, just has some play in it and the seal is leaking. I suppose I'll just replace the seal and if it blows I'll just get a new diff. I would think if the bearing is toast it would be a lot of work to get it replaced (assuming it is removed from the inside after removing the diff "guts").

I really appreciate your help with this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there

I know this is a very old thread now, but thought it was worth the ask. I think my side bearing has gone on the passenger side 2004 Nissan Armada. I changed the CV axle last week and felt movement in the flange while connecting back up, but it is not much, but think it is the cause of a knock on bumpy roads. Can a novice change the seal and bearing??

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It doesn't feel like the half shaft is popping out, just has some play in it and the seal is leaking. I suppose I'll just replace the seal and if it blows I'll just get a new diff. I would think if the bearing is toast it would be a lot of work to get it replaced (assuming it is removed from the inside after removing the diff "guts").

I really appreciate your help with this!
Were you able to fix the issue with your front diff or did you have to replace the whole thing? I am having the same problem with my titan and am wondering if there is any easy fix and if it worked or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, pretty much did nothing. I kept a good eye on the fluid level in the diff and eventually the leaking stopped on it's own. Fast forward 7 years now and it is still not leaking. I had a small leak in the pinion seal as well for a while and it stopped on it's own too.

Sorry I don't have a more useful answer for you, apparently my truck fixes itself while I sleep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts