Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Kenwood DNX series just shipped out and James (Tech12Volt) sent me one of the 6980's from his first batch:redblob"
I got it installed today and just as I finished up it started poring so I rushed to get everything cleaned up, but the little bit I did get to play with it, this thing is AWESOME!
The user interface seems really friendly and the screen is super crisp and clear. Boot time is quick which is one of the main complaints I read about last years model, so they must have updated the firmware or installed a faster processor because it fires up almost instantly.
I'll get some pics up ASAP and once I get a chance to really put it through its paces, I'll post up some reviews.
So far so great though!

Only drawback that I've notices so far is that you can't get sound out of your Ipod/Iphone without the Kenwood specific cable. My JVC had the ability to play right from the USB cable, but the Kenwood doesn't seem to work like that. It could be a setting or something like that, as I didn't get time to play around with it, but when I hooked up both my Ipod and my Iphone I got all the music info and time stamps, but no sound.
Updates coming soon!

If your in the market, check with James before you shop anywhere else. He's got the best prices and the best customer service by far! Thanks again bro, as always no disappointments!

Reactions: tech12volt

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've had a few days now to play with this radio and so far I'm very happy with it.

Pros so far: Navigation is super easy, looks fantastic and is VERY accurate. Sound quality is just amazing and super clear. Dual Zone actually means "dual zone!" Some DVD/stereos claim to be dual zone, but the second zone needs its own dedicated speakers to actually work. This DZ system actually allows me to set whatever source I want on the rear speakers and then a second source on the front. This is great when my daughter is watching the same Elmo video for the 100th time in a week and I want to listed to the Phillies game or Howard Stern without her hearing it. It actually works that good, with independent volume control for both zones. The user interface is very clean and easy to follow and the home screen is completely adjustable in all respects. You can set your most used three sources to stay on top of the main screen, then set the position of the scrolled sources and menu options where you want them based on infrequence of use. You can also set the background screen to any personal picture by simply plugging a USB pen drive into the USB cable and uploading the pic you want.

Cons So far: I do see what people are talking about with the slow response of the Kenwood DNX series. Its not at all slow to boot up in my opinion, but it can absolutely be slow to respond to button activation sometimes. It seems like its the worst when using the remote control which can be kind of frustrating at times, but should be fine once I get used to it and become more able to predict it. Some of the settings can be difficult to find and adjust because of the multiple menus and settings locations, but again, this should get better with time behind it. The traffic adviser is off her rocker. I was on my way home from work last night at 3am and it told me there was traffic ahead, but there wasn't a car on the road. Maybe just a glitch, but I just shut this feature off when cruising around town after it did this a few more times.

That's all I got for now. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow and if there's anything anyone wants to know specifically about just let me know. Overall I'm very happy with this head unit. My #1 priority with the new head was Navigation and #2 was sound quality and both of those features are above and beyond my expectations so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm interested in getting this unit as well most importantly for the pandora feature. Does it have to be connected via iPhone or can it be done via iPod touch or iPad that has Internet connection.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't answer that because I don't have anything with an internet connection other than my phone. I did mess around with it a little, but I never even heard of Pandora before this radio so I don't know much about how it works. It seems to be pretty cool and worked fine with my Iphone hooked up.

I did go out and pick up the Iphone/Ipod connection cable for Kenwood models and everything works great now. You do need that cable to listen to your Iphone or Ipod on this unit. Simply hooking it up through USB with the Iphone cord won't get you sound.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I'm interested in getting this unit as well most importantly for the pandora feature. Does it have to be connected via iPhone or can it be done via iPod touch or iPad that has Internet connection.
I have the Pioneer AVICZ120BT that has the Pandora feature on it and I have to use my iPhone because it has to use the 3G connection to get the feed. So to answer your question - yes you have to have an internet connection.

·
Registered
106 Posts
pics or none of it happened.. waiting..:huh:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, I forgot, my bad. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay guys, but I finally got some pics up.

After getting some more time behind the radio, I can give a little more info on it. The sound quality is flat out amazing. The only issue I have with sound is the limited volume control which is not a big deal, but the max volume setting is only 30, which doesn't leave you a whole lot of room to adjust amplifier gain under max volume. I usually like to max amp gain with a high quality source at 5 or 10 below max on the head unit. This leaves you 5 or 10 settings at the head to increase for lower quality sources and still have a good quality listening level at lower volumes. With a limited volume control, it leaves you less room for adjusting amp gain like that. Other than that, it's been perfect. The delay is still kind of annoying sometimes, but I'm getting used to it and eventually I probably won't even notice it.
The Navigation is dead on and very easy to use, as is the main menu screen. I really like the ability to add your own backscreen too. As you can see in the pics below, I have a picture of Citizens Bank Park for my background screen and everyone that gets in my truck comments on it when they see it. All you have to do is hook a pen drive into the USB cable and upload any photo you want to the background.
So far, this radio gets a 4 star rating out of 5 and if it wasn't for the dealy it would be 4.5. The volume control and limited EQ makes up the remainder of the .5 star, but this is really being over critical for the cost of the unit. Overall, this radio is well worth the money and is quite the "bang for the buck" with all the options and features it provides. The step above this one gives you a much broader EQ and adjustability, but for the cost I'm not sure its worth it unless your a pure audiophile that knows how to adjust it perfectly. If I'm not mistaken, the model above this one also has timing correction which would be a great feature for a truck the size of a Crew Titan, but for me it wasn't really a deal breaking feature since I already have the CDT Upstage kit that makes up for a lot of the sound gaps in speaker seperation (thanks to Tech!). If you have a King, it's probably not as useful, but Tech would have better advice on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Where did you route your iPhone cable? My Kenwood DNX9980 is getting installed today and the installer and I were both scratching our heads as to where to run the cable. I don't want it in the glove box all the time.

·
Registered
917 Posts
run it under the centconsole and put the iphone in the open storage behind the shifter fits perfect for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, that's what I did. I just cut a small groove into the little door that fits between the shifter bezel and that open space behind the shifter. I ran the wire down into the console and then out that little groove and into the open space behind the shifter. Since I have an Ipod that I never even take out of the truck other than to update it, I just velcro'd it to the side, inside that open area to keep it from getting smashed by other things I throw in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new Kenwood DNX series just shipped out and James (Tech12Volt) sent me one of the 6980's from his first batch:redblob"
I got it installed today and just as I finished up it started poring so I rushed to get everything cleaned up, but the little bit I did get to play with it, this thing is AWESOME!
The user interface seems really friendly and the screen is super crisp and clear. Boot time is quick which is one of the main complaints I read about last years model, so they must have updated the firmware or installed a faster processor because it fires up almost instantly.
I'll get some pics up ASAP and once I get a chance to really put it through its paces, I'll post up some reviews.
So far so great though!

Only drawback that I've notices so far is that you can't get sound out of your Ipod/Iphone without the Kenwood specific cable. My JVC had the ability to play right from the USB cable, but the Kenwood doesn't seem to work like that. It could be a setting or something like that, as I didn't get time to play around with it, but when I hooked up both my Ipod and my Iphone I got all the music info and time stamps, but no sound.
Updates coming soon!

If your in the market, check with James before you shop anywhere else. He's got the best prices and the best customer service by far! Thanks again bro, as always no disappointments!
How do i get up with James? Does he have a website? Just bought a 2005 Titan XE Crew cab. Love the Truck hate the stock Radio. Like to get something else. If my better half lets me :)

thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check post #10 in this thread. Tech12Volt is James. Either IM him or go to www.tech12volts.com.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts