Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 XE Crew Cab that came with regular manual side mirrors. About a year ago, someone clipped one so hard that I needed to replace the whole unit. So, I decided I wanted the big Tow mirrors, but bought knockoffs on ebay because 500+ for OEM from the dealer was crazy to me. I did some searching on the forum to find out how to upgrade to the power/heated ones and bought the necessary harnesses, control, etc. Well I installed the mirror but didn't get around to installing the power part because I was busy. The first thing I noticed was the upper mirror vibrated a fair amount while driving making it very difficult to focus. Lower mirror was fine. My factor non-big tow, manual mirrors did not. Again I was busy at the time so I ignored it.

Fast forward a year to now....finally have to break down and get my truck painted because Titan paint sucks and had completely blown off the roof, hood, and was moving onto the other panels. Aftermarket mirrors had started to rust on the arms and I figured it was time to try again as they had to come off for the paint job. So, I did some more research, and ordered a new second set of Big Tow mirrors heated/powered from a different vendor (still non-OEM) based on a post I saw saying they don't vibrate. This time, I also ordered the backing plate and screws as opposed to just using the 4x nuts. I still haven't had time to hook up the power. I installed the drivers side, torqued per manual (71 in-lbs) took it for a spin, and same thing?!? WTF!?!?! Upon closer look, it appears these are the same off-brand as the first set so not that surprising I guess.

So, my question is, do OEM Big Tow powered/heated (but power not yet connected) mirrors do this too? If so I'm going back to regulars. Am I doing something wrong? By not hooking up the power, are they some how rattling? I'm assuming the motors only power up to actually move the mirror, but do they energize when you start and provide some kind of holding torque to prevent vibration? I highly doubt it but just don't understand this.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to try and return the most recent ones, and if I get good responses about OEM ones I may breakdown and get the OEM ones. But if I go that route and they still shake, I may lose my mind.

·
Premium Member
20,950 Posts
My OEM mirrors do not shake.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mine shake..

When I drop da bass

Nah, mine shake a little on crap roads.

OEM btw

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Mine dont shake. Pretty sure they are OEM.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Where did you buy your tow mirrors from so I know which one's to stay away from?

·
Premium Member
20,950 Posts
I think shaking is a fairly common complaint of the aftermarket tow mirrors.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Ive heard all aftermarket mirrors shake. They tend to just be flat out cheaper than OEM. Not just price but quality wise too. You get what you pay for with mirrors i guess.

My 96 F350 is the same way, someone ran into it, and bent it the wrong way, broke it off. Well Ford no longer makes those mirrors so I had to order aftermarket, and its the worst thing to look out of.. Gives me headaches...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My OEM BT mirrors do not shake.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Mine don't shake too much, but the internals (adjusters etc.)rattle like crazy on dirt roads. OEM

·
Registered
559 Posts
No shakes, no rattles on OEM tow package mirrors.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Big tow mirrors IMO are ugly, unless you really need them because you do a lot of towing. I don't have a 4 WD or a big tow. I guess the reason y'alls mirrors shake is because you've got it jacked up with 35' s , and the tires are a little out of balance.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I put OEM big tows on mine and they are fine. This happens all the time with aftermarket mirrors, not just on the Titan. I had some on my Mazda truck (not big tow, just aftermarket mirrors) and they shook like hell. I put the old, scratched up originals back on and they were great.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
After reading this thread, i got in my truck, and now i notice them rattling all the time! Thanks guys.... lmao. They must be aftermarket replacements...

Reactions: jdmartin
1 - 14 of 14 Posts