Nissan Titan Forum banner

Do i have a problem?

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  bluovalguy 
#1 ·
my milage sucks. i didnt work today so i did a little testing. both of these test were roughly 40 miles a peice. in the city i drove like an a hole and filled up and averaged 8.8 mpg....then i got on the freeway and headed 20 miles out of town, road is pretty flat. i was doing 73 mph the wholetime. i got back and at the gas station where filled up the trip meter read like 41.1 miles i filled up. it took 3.1 gallon, thus for an average of 13.4. i dont know why my milage is so crapy either...my mods are aem intake, banks exhaust, timing advance, tb bypass, TBS, i have 325/60/18 nitto terra grappler tires on 18/9 moto metal 951 wheels....oh yeah, my truck is an 06 CC 4x4 w/ OR and BT packages...temp was 48* also

#2 ·
BlingAlong06 said:
my milage sucks. i didnt work today so i did a little testing. both of these test were roughly 40 miles a peice. in the city i drove like an a hole and filled up and averaged 8.8 mpg....then i got on the freeway and headed 20 miles out of town, road is pretty flat. i was doing 73 mph the wholetime. i got back and at the gas station where filled up the trip meter read like 41.1 miles i filled up. it took 3.1 gallon, thus for an average of 13.4. i dont know why my milage is so crapy either...my mods are aem intake, banks exhaust, timing advance, tb bypass, TBS, i have 325/60/18 nitto terra grappler tires on 18/9 moto metal 951 wheels....oh yeah, my truck is an 06 CC 4x4 w/ OR and BT packages...temp was 48* also
Those are pretty short trips to try and figure mpg. An extra quart or half gallon of gas can make a great difference in that short of trip.

#4 ·
BlingAlong06 said:
i have 325/60/18 nitto terra grappler tires on 18/9 moto metal 951 wheels....
Bingo! Big part of the problem.

If you want better gas mileage in the city try and keep the RPMs under 2,000. I bet you can't do it! :evillaugh

#5 ·
winter gas sucks I get 14.5 mpg in the summer and now only 12.5/13 @ best. try a can of fuel injector cleaner in there and see if that helps. they reconmend a can every 3 thousand miles or every oil change but sometimes I forget. when my gas milage starts getting sh****** I pour of can of injector juice in there and it seems to help. I use gumout fuel injector cleaner for large vehicles (20fl oz) pour the whole bottle in with a full tank of gas. at the end of that tank you should see a difference.

#6 ·
Rice Rocket said:
winter gas sucks I get 14.5 mpg in the summer and now only 12.5/13 @ best. try a can of fuel injector cleaner in there and see if that helps. they reconmend a can every 3 thousand miles or every oil change but sometimes I forget. when my gas milage starts getting sh****** I pour of can of injector juice in there and it seems to help. I use gumout fuel injector cleaner for large vehicles (20fl oz) pour the whole bottle in with a full tank of gas. at the end of that tank you should see a difference.
If you're in PA, you always have the 10% Ethanol....or "Winter gas", as we used to call it. It's used all year now.
But a few short trips can't judge mileage. Give it a few tanks of careful and exact measurements.

#7 ·
keepin the RPMs under 2000 doesnt always work. cause you're keeping the throttle open longer. i get better milage if i keep it under 2300, but thats my truck. under 2000 may work for some, but each truck has its own sweet spot. you'll just have to test it out and see.

#8 ·
ok well i know what i have to do...im loking into a scangauge II more seriously now...i want to see precisely what i am getting so i can tweak what i am doing a litle bit here and therr

#9 ·
I live in Florida, where we don't have winter gas, because we don't have winter.:evillaugh

So excuse my ignorance, but I thought that winter gas went away when they outlawed MTBE?

Anyways, having a lead foot makes the largest difference. I drive long distances in a number of large vehicles for a living, so I am very comfortable with keeping constant speeds and accelerating slowly. I average 16.2 in the Titan over a combination of city and highway driving, with emphasis on the city portion. Keeping the tac below 2k really does work. It's just a lifestyle change that is often difficult, particularly for younger men.

When I was in college, my only vehicle was my 1965 Pontiac Tempest, with the 389 and a Rochester 4 barrel gas guzzler. I disabled my secondaries during the week, and used to drive by vacuum gauge to squeeze out the mileage. Was quite funny to see guys in Honda Civics red-lining next to me at the lights, tearing off as soon as it went green, only to see me amble up right next to them five minutes later at the next light. In city driving, being fast is usually nothing more then false economy of time.

#10 ·
After market wheels and (over sized)tires are what's doing it.

As long as you have them.................Low MPG!!

#11 ·
i also have a scangauge, and it has helped my gas milage. well...i guess more like helped my driving habits. it showed me at what rpms i get my best mpgs., which in turn helps my gas milage. theyre only about 160 dollars, and a good investment in my opinion.

#13 ·
bluovalguy said:
I just accept the fact that mileage sucks in the truck. I have been driving the mustang all week to save gas. Hows that for crazy??:)
Man!! You are CRAZY!~!!:rofl:

#15 ·
bluovalguy said:
I just accept the fact that mileage sucks in the truck. I have been driving the mustang all week to save gas. Hows that for crazy??:)
Yeah.. especially since the A4 probably gets better mileage... :upsidedow There is something to be said for the "cool" factor of the Stang, though....:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.