Nissan Titan Forum banner

do i need a new tune?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  roy365 
#1 ·
My 04 titan has cracked manifolds and the dealer wont do anything (over on miles) so I have to get some headers, but I have read on here that if I do headers and a cold air intake the truck will run lean and I would have to get tuned. Is this true?

#2 ·
mbouey90 said:
My 04 titan has cracked manifolds and the dealer wont do anything (over on miles) so I have to get some headers, but I have read on here that if I do headers and a cold air intake the truck will run lean and I would have to get tuned. Is this true?
Just to be safe, I would. Some people run very lean with headers, some a little, so its sort of the luck. If you get just an intake, you won't run lean at all.

#5 ·
Those stock manifolds are covered under the emissions warranty. I think it's 8yrs/80,000. That information was provided by a member named Nissanmike who works at Nissan.

#8 · (Edited)
idealy yes you will want to have it tuned after the header install - typically a tune is best done after you have done all the engine mods you want - as you probably know from building hondas - basically you dont want to do a header install do a tune, and then do it all over again if you add something else

on your truck specifically we have not seen any issues when people have done the basic mods - intake, headers, and a exhaust system of sorts regarding a lean condition on the engine (which will usually throw a check engine light). You will gain more HP and Torque across the power band and yes more power can be found with a tune after.

I do suggest however if you are towing to go with a ceramic coated header over a raw stainless - probably why you are seeing cracks in the existing manifold, the excess heat that is accumlated from more load placed on the engine while you are towing your car puts more wear and tear on the factory manifolds - and this is ture for all makes GM. Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan - we see alot of it at our performance center from customers that tow a boat/trailer/camper with their factory manifolds

We do offer 2 differnt types of ceramic coating on our headers - the silver ceramic would be the best way to go unless you are running a supercharger than I would go with the titanium coated headers.

#9 ·
I was one of the ones who did not have an increase in power "across the power band". I only noticed a slight increase in top end. Now......after Uprev tuned the truck it was a whole different story. Either way you are dropping some cash, but as brad suggested you dont have to go all out with the titanium's. I guess it just depends on what you are after and how much $$$$$$ you are willing to spend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.