Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lookin' around the forums but can't come up with a solid answer. To just replace the shocks (Bilstein HD), do I need compressors? Seems like I shouldn't need them, but any input would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yeah, Im sure it wouldnt hurt. The coil is still under tension and places alot of pressure on the upper strut plate. If you decide not to use one, be aware everything is going want to fly everywhere.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks bud. Hopefully I'll get a set of HD's in the next few months... Just wanted to know ahead of time. I'll have to find someone who has a compressor now... haha

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Alright thanks bud. Hopefully I'll get a set of HD's in the next few months... Just wanted to know ahead of time. I'll have to find someone who has a compressor now... haha
Pepboys has a tool loan program. I rented em for $60...return em in the same condition and get your $60 back.:teethmast

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I understand that haha. Just that type of compressor is what I was looking at. Besides it never hurts to have another tool lying around :D

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Do you an autozone around your parts? Thats where I rented mine. Others have also recommend getting 2 sets to be safer. If you do find a place that loans then out, make sure to look them over. The compressor bend a lot depending on where you position them, so who knows if they get "weaker" as they get used. I got lucky when i rented mine and got a brand new set but they were not straight when i took them back. Our springs are pretty strong and i bet the compressors are made for less stiff car springs.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it sounds like most sets are made for smaller cars and the like... Might just have a shop do it, so if the thing explodes its their fault :D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Get the spring compressors that at very least have a saftey locking mechanism. I wouldnt use those previously linked. For a few bucks more you will have safer demo and install.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Design-ATD-3054-MacPherson/dp/B000OUW78O/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301503545&sr=1-2[/ame]

OR

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-647089-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0015UWXIQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301503545&sr=1-6[/ame]

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yup you need to compress the springs, and they are a pits. I had to use two sets of rental spring compressors from autozone......its not that bad took me two hours to do both sides.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My advice is to just bring it to a shop and have them swap it out. I tried the rental sprint compressors on my Pro-4x coils (got 2 sets of compressors) and it still bent the compressors.

I've had 4x4 springs from my old Frontier bust a compressor (rental). If I didn't have ratchet straps on as a fail safe, things would have been very bad.

I brought everything over to Firestone and they swapped the struts out for $50.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Not hardly worth messing with for $50, great advice!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just did mine over the weekend. I paid the shop $20 and they did both sides. Takes them about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright sounds good. I'll take the struts off, take a different car and have a shop swap them. Thanks guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts