Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lookin' around the forums but can't come up with a solid answer. To just replace the shocks (Bilstein HD), do I need compressors? Seems like I shouldn't need them, but any input would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
17,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks bud. Hopefully I'll get a set of HD's in the next few months... Just wanted to know ahead of time. I'll have to find someone who has a compressor now... haha

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Alright thanks bud. Hopefully I'll get a set of HD's in the next few months... Just wanted to know ahead of time. I'll have to find someone who has a compressor now... haha
Pepboys has a tool loan program. I rented em for $60...return em in the same condition and get your $60 back.:teethmast

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
17,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I understand that haha. Just that type of compressor is what I was looking at. Besides it never hurts to have another tool lying around :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Do you an autozone around your parts? Thats where I rented mine. Others have also recommend getting 2 sets to be safer. If you do find a place that loans then out, make sure to look them over. The compressor bend a lot depending on where you position them, so who knows if they get "weaker" as they get used. I got lucky when i rented mine and got a brand new set but they were not straight when i took them back. Our springs are pretty strong and i bet the compressors are made for less stiff car springs.

·
Registered
17,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it sounds like most sets are made for smaller cars and the like... Might just have a shop do it, so if the thing explodes its their fault :D

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Get the spring compressors that at very least have a saftey locking mechanism. I wouldnt use those previously linked. For a few bucks more you will have safer demo and install.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Design-ATD-3054-MacPherson/dp/B000OUW78O/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301503545&sr=1-2[/ame]

OR

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-647089-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0015UWXIQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301503545&sr=1-6[/ame]

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yup you need to compress the springs, and they are a pits. I had to use two sets of rental spring compressors from autozone......its not that bad took me two hours to do both sides.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My advice is to just bring it to a shop and have them swap it out. I tried the rental sprint compressors on my Pro-4x coils (got 2 sets of compressors) and it still bent the compressors.

I've had 4x4 springs from my old Frontier bust a compressor (rental). If I didn't have ratchet straps on as a fail safe, things would have been very bad.

I brought everything over to Firestone and they swapped the struts out for $50.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Not hardly worth messing with for $50, great advice!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just did mine over the weekend. I paid the shop $20 and they did both sides. Takes them about 5 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.