Nissan Titan Forum banner

Do I need to bleed radiator bypass cooler?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AZPRO4X 
#1 ·
As the title says. Do I need to bleed the air out or even add matrix S(Trans fluid) when doing the bypass. I'm new to the forum of course.I just Bought a 2011 Pro4x. Post pics later. It has about 97k on the clock and I rather ride around with peace of mind so I bought the Tru Kool external cooler. During my research on Titan, Armada, and Xterra forums+ YouTube videos alike. I found one post where the poster displayed them adding trans fluid into the cooler.

Is this standard practice?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
"so I bought the Tru Kool external cooler"

Which one? I just installed the 4590 in my 2004. It's 11 inches by 11 inches. The size of the cooler determines where you can mount it.

"Do I need to bleed the air out or even add matrix S(Trans fluid) when doing the bypass."

If you already have fresh tranny fluid in your truck and don't want to drain, you could bleed air by removing the return hose (the hard line that goes to rear most banjo bolt on the transmission is the return line) from the hard line connection under the block, put the hose in a container, then start the engine. The transmission pump will pump atf and the return hose will spit air and atf as the atf coolers and lines fill. When you're done bleeding, turn off the engine and clamp the return hose to the hard line. You need to add atf to make up for any atf drained and carefully fill and check level as specified in the service manual.

I drained the atf from the transmission pan drain plug, took off and cleaned the pan (there are two magnets in the pan), changed the filter / screen (probably not necessary), reinstalled the pan, added 5 quarts of atf, sequentially flushed and filled one quart at a time by draining through the return hose into a 5 quart pitcher with marked quart increments, adding one quart of atf for each quart drained. I used about 15 quarts of atf and was draining clean fluid when I stopped. Obviously this process will fill both atf coolers with fluid. You need to carefully check atf level according to the service manual when you're done. This is somewhat tricky and tedious, so read the service manual closely. If the tranny slips, you need to add fluid. When you're close to the correct level, add a small amount at a time, like about 1/3 quart.

I also eliminated all the short hard lines, short hoses, and spring clamps. I used gates 5/16 transmission hose, the hose that came with the 4590, and single ear stainless stepless crimp on clamps. I double clamped everything except the 4590 which has short connections and specifically says not to double clamp. I had to use fuel injector style screw clamps on the lower fitting of the oem atf cooler because of lack of clearance for my crimp pliers.

So now the remaining atf cooler connections are: 2 hard lines that run from the banjo bolts on the rear of the transmission and end under the front of the block (double clamped to transmission hoses with crimp clamps), two connections on the 4590 (single clamped to transmission hoses with crimp clamps) and two connections on the oem atf cooler (the upper connection double clamped with crimp clamps and the lower one double clamped with fuel injector screw clamps).

I used Sutemribor 304 stainless steel 7-21 single ear stepless hose clamp 128 pcs assorment and Knipex front and side jaw 8.75" ear clamp pliers in the hope that these claims are true:

• 360 ° Stepless Design - There Is No Protrusion And Gap In The Inner, Narrowband Design Providing A More Concentrated Sealing Pressure

• √ Cochlear Design Ensures Continuous Clamping During Temperature Changes Or Machine Vibrations, Edge Polished Smooth, Avoid Damage To The Hose

#3 ·
No, you don't need to bleed the system .
You will loose/add about 1 quart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.