• Pedro

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a poll. Everyone I know that has had jury duty just 'happened' to be a registered voter, though the state of Kansas swears up and down that they go off the driver's license pool.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got picked up last year one week after I came back from Iraq... the case was a month long. :( Exactly one year later I got selected again... but just for one day. I'll look forward to court next year!

·
Super Moderator
159,630 Posts
Here in Texas it's no longer voter driven. It's Driver License generated. So yes non-voters can get jury duty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had jury duty once, but I think if you don't register they can't get ya?

·
Registered
691 Posts
i was asked to be jury foreman for my service so yes you still get picked even if your not register

at least in Texas

·
Registered
679 Posts
I always thought it was voters too. I haven't voted before and I got called for jury duty. Luckily I was in Kuwait at the time. hehe

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts
It's actually pretty easy to get out of jury duty if you really want to. Just ask them to see a picture of the defendant. Then when they ask why, just say, "all I gots ta do is look at the varmint, and I'l tell yer if he's guilty!" Works like a charm..... :lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol! I've heard that all these attempts that some people make to get out of jury duty here can make them stay for much longer than just getting on a simple civil case.

If they dismiss you during jury selection (voir dire IIRC) then you get to go back to the 'commons' area and wait it out to be called for the next group, if you don't work on that one then you go back to the commons and sit, and wait. This goes on for three days, if you're not picked by then then you get to go home, if on the first day, you're not eliminated and you get a simple civil trial then you get to go home that night free again...

Always try to get into a civil trial, the jury's don't have to unanimously agree and that's where I've heard you end up getting the most frustrated by trying to convince a few people that they need to switch sides. Also, civil trials are both usually private parties and those lawyers are usually going to try to settle even after it's gone to court. If you get a criminal trial where plaintiff is represented by the state, you're gonna be there a while longer.

I've heard of quite a few civil cases where they settle as soon as the jury is picked and everyone gets to go home happy. If it looks bad for the defendent, like a bunch of middle aged married women on a jury where you're trying to defend your service dealership because of an oil mishap then the dealer will usually settle rather than get slammed by a bunch of women who expect good service from a quicky lube. Example that a coworker told me about. She spent 2 hours at the courthouse.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I wasnt a voter at 18 but got called for jury duty when overseas in korea. I politely said if they pay for my ticket back I would gladly come home to do that.

They told me no.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts