Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that a leveling kit will blow out the struts on the Titan. Is this true?

It seems as if the PRG is the way to go with the Titan from most of the post here on TT. What make there kit better that the others I have seen here on TT?

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
If you use a poly spacer that is sandwiched between the top-plate and coil (ala DayStar) then yes, it will lead to premature shock failure. The PRG spacer has none of these issues. PRG pioneered the spacer, it comes with new bump-stops, quality hardware, and perhaps the best customer support in the biz.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I have had the prg kit on my truck for 40k miles, and do alot of driving on very rough dirt roads with no problems.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info! did it change the ride at all and did you install it your selves?

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
1baddatsun said:
thanks for the info! did it change the ride at all and did you install it your selves?
I didn't find any difference in ride, and I did install it myself. It was very easy, and took less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I had the DayStar kit on for about a year (15K miles) and it did not blow out my struts - it did make the ride a little firmer, but my wife didn't even notice. since the Daystar sits on top you lose that 2 inches of shock travel so what I did notice is that the shock would "top out" (shock did not have enough up- travel) when going over whoops or fast over heavily crowned intersections. Daystar does recommend the use of a longer shock to combat this and I left my stock shocks on.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Do a little research here into DayStar spacers. It was mostly hashed out in the early years (2004) when it was the only option. The DayStar spacer led to numerous issues, including blown struts. I, myself, had them installed for a short while until I became sick of the noises and poor ride associated with them.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The problems you have heard of are mainly associated with the polyurethane spacers. They do stiffen up the ride a little as well, since you're putting pre-load on the spring by installing the spacer between the spring and the strut.

We also sell a 2.5" leveling kit for the Titan made out of 1/4" steel, which comes with a lifetime warranty. These allow you to maintain your factory ride. We are currently selling these for $86.95 w/Free Shipping. TitanTalk members get 5% off.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
Consider yourself lucky. Do a little research here into DayStar spacers. It was mostly hashed out in the early years (2004) when it was the only option. The DayStar spacer led to numerous issues, including blown struts. I, myself, had them installed for a short while until I became sick of the noises and poor ride associated with them.
It's funny - I found TT about 6 weeks after installing the Daystar's and kicked myself in the pants!!

I have since been PRG'd and am happier!!:bouncy:

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Off topic alert, I thought the titan has shocks not struts...

but wtf is the difference anyway??? I thought struts are kinda wimpy....primarily used in cars...but what do I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts