Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people that put their vehicles in drive before starting ( seems like it). My brother n law has a 08 Sierra and drives off after 5 seconds of starting, and the transmission slips everytime! I treat mines like myself: wake up, brush my teeth, wash my face, put on clothes and personal hygene and I'm out the door. By then you should be woke. least till your temp gauge move off cold. I wait till mines idle at 1000 rpms before I even leave the driveway.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For emergencies like oversleeping I'll let it run for like 30 seconds then ride off. I'm used to owning older vehicles so I'm just used to doing that cause I had a issue with not letting one warm up and the transmission slipped on the regular.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Our trucks have new technology in the engine and tranny. You can start it and drive away just fine.

When I start my truck in the morning i start it and go. I do however drive easily until it is warmed up.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Most certainly in the winter time, rest of the time no.

Reactions: JDos1

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
"Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds
after starting. Do not race the engine
while warming it up. Drive at moderate
speed for a short distance first, especially in
cold weather."

This is directly out of my 2004 Titan manual

·
Registered
52 Posts
i always let mine idle for atleast a few min befor i take off in the winter but in the summer monthts maybe like a minute at the most

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm pretty much a start and go driver, but I do take it easy for the first few miles. Been driving like that for 41 years and never had any issues. Plus are engines are all aluminum and I think they warm up quicker than a cast iron block.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
In the winter here when it was below 0 most days I would let it run 15-30 minutes before I drove then the first few miles I.would drive slow. I have been starting it now before our morning meeting so it runs about 20-30 minutes now before I leave

Sent from my samsung fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If it's below 52 degrees i always warms my truck for 10-15 minutes. it's more about me being warm than my engine. i hate driving in a cold vehicles. has to be nice inside. my neighbor will jump in his truck with it being 15 degrees outside and drive right off, no warm up or defrosting. i dont know why people make life harder than it has to be lol.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If its below freezing I will hit remote start for 5-10 min. Other than that, I will let it run for a minute or so. I use a quality synthetic also.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
"Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds
after starting. Do not race the engine
while warming it up. Drive at moderate
speed for a short distance first, especially in
cold weather."

This is directly out of my 2004 Titan manual
This is what I do on cold mornings. Even on hot mornings I'll do it if time allows. If I don't do this, the tranny shifts funny until it's warm.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In the winter I usually let mine warm up for 10-15 minutes depending how cold it is outside and try not to go past 2500 rpms til its warmed up. Warmer weather I just start and drive off but try not to go above 2500-3k until it is warmed up. Thats a major engine killer right there. High rpms on a cold engine.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I let it idle for at least 45-60 seconds and cruise it till I'm warm... It definatly doesn't like to be driven cold

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
cold mornings i run out and warm her up, turn the butt warmers on basically so im not freezin my a$$ off by the time i come out shes up to temp. My dad on the other hand throws it in drive before it even finishes its quick rpm climb after startup and tows, truck comes unhitched maybe 3 times out of the year

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If its below freezing I will hit remote start for 5-10 min. Other than that, I will let it run for a minute or so. I use a quality synthetic also.
Well here's a dumb question comin your way guys....since he brought up remote starts...if I got one would someone be able to jump in and take off...cuz there's been like 3 airmen that have started theirs in the morning and came back inside their apts and got to hear their cars being driven off...and that's sumthing I definitely DONT want!....I know it's probably a dummy dumm dumm question but I thought I'd ask!

And as for for warming the truck up...I do it if time permits it...and normally on those dreaded Oklahoma -11 mornings! But that's moreso just for me! Icy leather and warm skin=jump up and hit the top of the T on contact!!! Lol!

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Firelife starts the cars five minutes before he's leaving.. I get in start them put my seatbelt on make sure he didn't move my mirrors all around and go... usually between 30 seconds and a minute... and I've never had problems with my trans slipping...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I alway's wait for a about 30 sec's when it's cold, but it so damn hot down here most of the time i don't think it matter's. I just won't get on it till it's up to temp, but then i've seen people doing speedo video's in Titan's when the temp gauge is still way over to the left & cold...

I do know that our trans won't shift into OD until it reaches a certain temp. I think that's what some people are feeling...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always let mine warm up for about a minute or so. You can actually tell a huge difference in exhaust sound on mine by doing so.
Without letting it warm up properly, my exhaust has a little pop to it, which I hate.
Letting it warm up good has the deep solid tone to it. So yeah, I always let her warm up some. When it is really cold, I'll pre-heat it or crank it up while getting ready to go or what not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i only drive mine on weekends if its lucky. i let it warm up cause it only gets started once a week sometimes less than that

1 - 20 of 51 Posts