Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says...

I'm contemplating which one I "need/want" more. I have lots of top, not much bottom.

What are some factors that persuaded you to go with one or the other, (bottom/top)?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm more of a bottom Guy myself...I like some junk in the trunk...

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
Bottom. ..........

·
Super Moderator
161,850 Posts
Bottom end. That's what gets you moving.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We need torque. We want horsepower.

Reactions: PAPARYNO and Quartz

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
I prefer a flat torque curve, where you're accelerating like a bat out of hell anywhere in the rev range. Top end is enjoyable though, because having an engine have a rev limit that's, say, 6000 rpms and not even making power anywhere near it sucks. I dislike when something i'm driving falls on it's face. The mazdaspeed 3 is notorious for this, if you rev it to 6500 rpms, it's much slower than if you shifted at 5700 rpms instead.

For the way your engine is designed, when you go for big power, you are going to lose low end. This is for multiple reasons.

1.) the intake manifold profile for top end power will always lose bottom end power
2.) the cam profiles for top end power are going to have cam lobes too large for efficient intake and exhaust velocity at low rpms. This coupled with the intake manifold make for low end loss.

This is not to say that you are going to be gutless down low, but losing torque down low means you moved it up top. Any race engine you see is going to carry it's torque high into the rev range and not drop it off 80% there.

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
My father was an aircraft mechanic. His specialty was big radial engines. When I was a kid I asked the difference between torque and HP and he told me he could go into a long technical explanation but he had a simpler answer. I've never forgotten it. "Horse power is the number of horses under the hood. Torque is the size of the horses. Some horses are Clydesdales and some are Shetland ponies".

I'd rather have 1 Clydesdale than 3 Shetland ponies.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My father was an aircraft mechanic. His specialty was big radial engines. When I was a kid I asked the difference between torque and HP and he told me he could go into a long technical explanation but he had a simpler answer. I've never forgotten it. "Horse power is the number of horses under the hood. Torque is the size of the horses. Some horses are Clydesdales and some are Shetland ponies".

I'd rather have 1 Clydesdale than 3 Shetland ponies.
It's funny but it makes sense. Lol

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
youre definitely wrong on need torque lol we have more than plenty of torque all we need s to move it a little higher in the rpms to have top end :)

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
BOTTOM! That's where we do most of our driving anyway... I'll still take cams any day, but having that raw power off the line, that pulls you back in your seat is the best!!! :)

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
youre definitely wrong on need torque lol we have more than plenty of torque all we need s to move it a little higher in the rpms to have top end :)
You never have too much torque.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Bottom end makes this truck fun to drive. Yeah, I'm currently trying to improve my top end, but not to the nth degree. Mainly for better track times. This isn't a lambo, and I really don't feel comfortable cruising at 140 in it, regardless of tire and road quality.

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
I like Clydesdales vs ponies better BAC.

Reactions: LD5050

·
Registered
163 Posts
I understand the sentiment, but in reality... an engine that makes a metric sh!t-ton of torque down low won't have to work as hard to make your vehicle "fast".

You never have too much torque.
Very true. "If you build an engine for torque, horsepower will take care of itself." and "Torque wins races; horsepower sells cars."

;)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Maybe I'm completely retarded - so please be patient and break it down for me like I'm 9 years old.

If/when I make various aftermarket upgrades to the truck, and the dyno show that I increased HP by 25, and TQ by 15 - it's losing bottom-end power? Or is this a balance thing? Seems like increasing both/either would be a good thing. Either way, TQ has increased.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
I like a good balance of both. Some grunt to get you moving and some good hp to pull up top. The newer 07+ engines almost do this with the vct on the intake cams.

·
Super Moderator
161,850 Posts
Let's see. 8 horsepower. Pulling 7,000 pounds. That's a LOT of torque.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts