Nissan Titan Forum banner

Does anyone have a rear view camera mounted in their license plate frame???

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  DoyleOil 
#1 ·
I am putting together my system and i'm looking at the boyo vtl375 rear view camera and i'm just wondering if anyone else here has a similar camera installed. My concern is that i have LED tag lights and i'm wondering if they will blind the camera if i install it there. I'm going to angle it down so that i can hitch my boat on my own, but just thinking it may have some glare from the led tag lights....thoughts???

#2 ·
I am interested as well!

-Lab

#3 ·
Boyo 425 here (~$50 off ebay). In the daylight its fine, even looking into the sun. But at night my tag lights do cause some glare. I even though about tinting those lights just a little to cut down on it. I would assume led would make it worse, but maybe the whiter color won't be as bad as the yellowish I have. I am going to get brighter back up lights so that might help also. If you get it, let us know how it looks.

BTW: the camera angle is wide/large enough to be pointed straight back and still see the hitch.

Sean

Reactions: colochoclab
#4 ·
Where did you put the display?

-Lab

#5 ·
I did an aftermarket nav swap into the stock bezel. Used a magellan unit to display. Picture is great. Turns on whenever I go into reverse and I have a switch to turn it on anytime.

#11 ·
can you send me a link to the cord you use to get the magellan to picture feed? ive tried like 3 and none feed a picture to the 1700

#6 ·
I have the wireless backup camera from Peak mounted in my license plate frame. It works well. The 7" LCD sits in the pocket on the side of my center console when not in use. When in use it fits perfectly right in front of the Navigation screen.

#8 ·
I ordered one to mount under the bumper. Its got guides on it as well. I plan on plugging it directly into my Pioneer X920BT.

#9 ·
I recently bought a cheap backup camera with night vision off ebay for about $25 that mounts to the license plate and I think it works great. It's not perfect by any means at night but it still looks good. I have mine connected to my Garmin Street Pilot that i have in the factory navigation location and set it up to automatically turn on when I shift into reverse.

#10 ·
I have the Boyo 425 into my Kenwood 9960 & led's with no problem at all

#14 ·
No problem seeing the hitch. The lens adjusts up n down to get the angle your looking for. I usually have my tailgate open with my bed extender so I didn't go with the tailgate camera.

#15 ·
My license plate frame camera mounts using the top two bolts of the license plate. With it I can see the top of the ball and that's on a ball mount with a 3.5" drop.

#16 ·
I have a Boyo license plate frame camera and I love it. The picture is crystal clear night and day and I haven't noticed any glare from the plate lights. I did get moister in mine though and it became completely impossible to see anything through it. I called Boyo and within an hour had a return number. I packed it up then about two days after they got it, I got a tracking number for my new one. Waiting for that to come in now, should be here Monday. Great customer service!

#18 ·
Pic from rear and a pic from the radio

Attachments

#20 ·
Yup, that's pretty much what mine looks like. Oh and by the way, KUDOS to Boyo customer service and warranty division! I got my camera back yesterday, mounted it up and it works just like it did when it was brand new. The picture quality still surprises me every time I see it. Crystal Clear.

#23 ·
I also have a Boyo cam mounted to license plate. It connects to my Clarion 7' headunit.

I also had a moisture problem with mine. Emailed Boyo and later that day they emailed me a RMA. Got the new cam about 4 or so days later. They do have great customer service. This cam has been working great now for about a year and a half. All I had to do was send back the cam, not all the wiring, that way I wouldnt have to rerun all the wiring through the cab to the headunit. Boyo said thats fine, just send the cam.

Hard to find companies that still stand behind there products. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#22 ·
Do you have any night pics with the LED's hitting it. Mine is pretty bad with the normal lights until my back up lights hit something thats close. So maybe brighter (led) back up lights are in order.

#24 ·
^^^ Yup, I just sent the camera. I didn't even send the license plate bracket in... Just unhooked it, took the camera out and sent it on its way.

#25 ·
I just got an avic and it came with a boyo vtl400. Im waiting on an email back from Boyo (the camera didnt come with any info) on the wiring. I have a red, black, video input, and a switch on mine near the input to the radio. Looks like a ground and power I am assuming.

Where did you guys choose to run the wire to get it into the cab?

#26 ·
You can go through a grommet behind the passenger side rear seat or through the vent right next to that grommet with no cutting.

Reactions: DoyleOil
#27 ·
I drilled a little hole in the floor under the rear driver side sill panel. All you need to do is make sure you put a grommet in the hole that's the right size. Use a little bit of black RTV on it to keep it in place and once the wire is fished, you can dab a little more on it to make sure it stays water tight. I also topped that with a small piece of dynomat just to make sure nothing got in or out and to keep the wire from moving and chaffing on anything.
I then ran the wire through the frame rail, all the way back to the rear bumper with a wire fish. From there, I just ran it up through the license plate hole and up to the camera. No big deal at all and you can't see a single stitch of wire anywhere.

If you decide to do it this way, make sure where ever you drill your hole to run the wire out of the cab, is close to a hole in the frame so you can run the wire right into the frame rail without exposing too much of the wire.

#28 ·
I went right through that grommet, it was perfect. I ran my wires right along the wiring that runs on the frame rail.

Once I was all hooked up, my camera didnt work. Turns out I was only getting 3 volts at the stereo, 13 or whatever from the tail lights. The Pioneer wiring (purple/white) has a fuse in it with some sort of capacitor or something, which was bad and killing the voltage. Got it all up running today tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.