Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find info on the Flowmaster and Magnaflow websites about this but all I see are advertising type statement about how their products work best ..

So I am asking the real experts here:

Flowmaster 70 being baffled and Magnaflow #12580 (22") being straight through, why would I get better mileage with the Flowmaster than with the Magnaflow???? Pedal pressure and driving conditions have been as consistant as I can make them....difference is 1.5 to 2 mpg.

I would have thought that the less restrictive Magnaflow would have let the engine run more freely (less effort on the exhaust side or whatever) and therefore save fuel...but I have read that these trucks like back pressure so could the Magnaflow be too free flowing for just normal everyday highway and city driving???

Obviously I don't know diddly s**t about mufflers and how they affect the engines performance; I just noticed the mileage issue and am trying to learn a little.....

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I had the Flowmaster 70 on before and I'm running the 18" Magnaflow now. Does one get better MPG than the other, I have no idea. Take my advice and go with the Mag.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Mag #12580 on now and I like the sound a lot better....just wondering since my mpg went down with the Mag but the sound enjoyment factor went up...

·
Registered
302 Posts
pastprime said:
I have the Mag #12580 on now and I like the sound a lot better....just wondering since my mpg went down with the Mag but the sound enjoyment factor went up...
Give your ECU time to learn all your mods on a previous post you had an Injen CAI that you were selling.Have you taken it off?If so your ECU must relearn the stock box again.
:rolleyes: Hank I know what it is.You love the sound of that Magnaflow so much.You keep flooring the darn thing!:jester: Maybe you should drive around with the Mrs. in the Truck more you might get better mileage LOL.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been trying to act my age the past few days (put a 2x4 under the pedal)....and the truck only has 1300 on it so I know from my last one that it will increase in time..just don't know how the different muffler designs play into the equation...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Your Truck is still a baby with only 1300mi.Just wait till she breaks in around 5000mi.Mileage will get a tad better and You will see a big difference in the way she drives.You will be a kid again!:jester:

·
Super Moderator
93,679 Posts
My advice is to buy a muffler based on the sound, not on whether or not it will provide better gas mileage than another brand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did buy it based on information I received here about the sound and I do like it....I am just curious about the mileage issue....since the muffler is paid for and all of my gasoline is not; yet...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would go with what Arachnid said and no, changing mufflers will not give you better gas mileage. Having it properly tuned, now that will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts