Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was splanning on ordering an SE KC 4x4 from the factory without the off road package because I don't need it. Dealer called and can now get one with all the options I want except it has the off road package. Does the different final drive gearing make any real world difference? Does it only affect 1st gear or also the final gear? Is RPM affected much? I guess it might reduce gas mileage a bit, wouldn't it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I think it reduces gas mileage a little. I am not sure what the difference makes overall however. Maybe someone with a lot more technical knowledge will chime in.

motoman said:
I was splanning on ordering an SE KC 4x4 from the factory without the off road package because I don't need it. Dealer called and can now get one with all the options I want except it has the off road package. Does the different final drive gearing make any real world difference? Does it only affect 1st gear or also the final gear? Is RPM affected much? I guess it might reduce gas mileage a bit, wouldn't it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
With the different gear ratio...you will get a better ability with towing with a slight loss of gas mileage...But, you will also gain the Rancho suspension and .8" in ride height. Oh, also the better looking wheels IMO.

We have the O-R Pkg and the Big Tow....current avg MPG with 6200 miles on the truck thus far is now 15.8. We have yet to take a 'longer trip'. While towing a friends 5300 pd boat..it handled it very easily and still pulled 12.7 MPG over 160 miles down to and back from San Diego.

Chris

·
Registered
740 Posts
The off road package will affect your gas mileage as the lower gear ratios will cause the engine to turn higher RPMs at any speed. How much will it effect it? That isn't clear - maybe 1 or 2 mpgs but not much more. If one of your other oprions was the tow package then you would get the higher gear ratio anyways so the off road package will not cause you to lose mpgs

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keane said:
The off road package will affect your gas mileage as the lower gear ratios will cause the engine to turn higher RPMs at any speed. How much will it effect it? That isn't clear - maybe 1 or 2 mpgs but not much more. If one of your other oprions was the tow package then you would get the higher gear ratio anyways so the off road package will not cause you to lose mpgs
Nope I don't need the tow package either. All I need is the utility bed package and power seat. I hate the thought of waiting a few months, but I'm leaning towards waiting just to get the little better MPG. :-(

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
With the different gear ratio...you will get a better ability with towing with a slight loss of gas mileage...But, you will also gain the Rancho suspension and .8" in ride height. Oh, also the better looking wheels IMO.
Thanks. I have driven both an SE KC with and without the OR Package. I knew about the wheels and the lower final drive ratio and the shocks, but I was unaware of the added 0.8" ground clearance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMHO, the truck handles better on pavement without the off-road package. It corners better with less lean and low speed steering seamed easier. Obviously the opposite probably applies off-road.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I believe the .8" is the overall height difference not ground clearance.

It was slightly noticable over the reg 2WD that was next to mine when I bought it.

The 2WD w/O-R pkg is almost exactly the same height as the 4X4 without the O-R pkg. The O-R pkg adds another .8" to the 4X4 as well....

Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
off-road package makes the ride terrific...the monroe...ooops excuse me, rancho shocks ride great and i like the skid plates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts