Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try to take a vid, but it will probably just be from my iPhone. Scheduled for 2 runs tomorrow at 2.

#'s from the first time were with a stock truck and magnaflow muffler (18").

Now I'm running an 87 Octane tune with superchips, and flowmaster dual exhaust. (Plus K&N drop in filter but I doubt that will do much.)

What numbers do you think I can pull? I'm hoping for a +300 whp number and would love to hit 350 #/ft, but I think thats a bit unrealistic.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well a little disappointed, my first time dynoing was on a dyno jet, this time on a PowerDyne.
My best run gave me 327 #/ft and ~280 whp. I'll upload the run later but I was very pleased with the power curves, totally smoothe and very linear.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
This is a little late but why not run the truck with the tune and then without the tune to see what kind of gains are being had by the superchips tuner. Thne the comparison would be better since it would be on the same dyno on the same day.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dyno graph...

import, that would have been a really good idea. I may try to do that next time if time allows.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That graph looks off. Why no cross over at 5252?!
My run started at 3600 rpms and my rev limiter kept banging at 5200. I guess he just chopped off about 100 of the start and finish rpm's, but I'm positive that it would have crossed over and dropped off if I had the limiter raised.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Why the H would he start it at 3600 rpm's? And then end the run at 5100?

Going to 2 different types of dyno's is a bad idea if your wanting to compare set-ups. You need to go back to the first place you went to if you want to see how much you gained.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why the H would he start it at 3600 rpm's? And then end the run at 5100?

Going to 2 different types of dyno's is a bad idea if your wanting to compare set-ups. You need to go back to the first place you went to if you want to see how much you gained.
Maybe you can help me figure out how to dyno the truck for future reference...

I put the shifter in 3rd and run it up to 3600 to avoid the downshift so it's a clean run through 3rd gear. This was done at a local college doing a dyno day but this is not the first time I've been told that they can't get a clean run in due to downshifting. Also the rev limiter kicks in at 5200 (graph doesnt show it) but is there any point to raising the limiter and running it since the trucks powerband is earlier on in the RPM's?

Good point with the different dynos, unfortunately I'll be stuck with this one for a while so any more runs will probably be with these guys.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Maybe you can help me figure out how to dyno the truck for future reference...

I put the shifter in 3rd and run it up to 3600 to avoid the downshift so it's a clean run through 3rd gear. This was done at a local college doing a dyno day but this is not the first time I've been told that they can't get a clean run in due to downshifting. Also the rev limiter kicks in at 5200 (graph doesnt show it) but is there any point to raising the limiter and running it since the trucks powerband is earlier on in the RPM's?

Good point with the different dynos, unfortunately I'll be stuck with this one for a while so any more runs will probably be with these guys.
I'm not sure how to exactly do the run on a dyno. Someone here should know, all I know is that 3600 to 5100 is not right. Those guys at the dyno shop should have known. Call them up and tell them. Also why is your rev limit set to 5200? My rev limit is 6200..........

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how to exactly do the run on a dyno. Someone here should know, all I know is that 3600 to 5100 is not right. Those guys at the dyno shop should have known. Call them up and tell them. Also why is your rev limit set to 5200? My rev limit is 6200..........
Honestly I'm not sure why I didn't raise the rev limiter before going in to dyno. I have the superchips so it only gives me an option of stock (5200) or "raised" which I haven't tested yet. Does it have any benefit of running the engine that high even though the power curve ends a good hundred rpms lower?

Hoping somebody else can chime in and give some insight as well.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure why I didn't raise the rev limiter before going in to dyno. I have the superchips so it only gives me an option of stock (5200) or "raised" which I haven't tested yet. Does it have any benefit of running the engine that high even though the power curve ends a good hundred rpms lower?

Hoping somebody else can chime in and give some insight as well.
Your stock rev limit isn't 5200, it can't be. My stock setting is like 6200 rpm's. It doesn't do any good to raise it unless you have cams installed. Are you sure your stock is 5200?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your stock rev limit isn't 5200, it can't be. My stock setting is like 6200 rpm's. It doesn't do any good to raise it unless you have cams installed. Are you sure your stock is 5200?
I'll do a few runs on my way to school this morning, but with the truck hooked up through the OBDII the truck was hitting the rev limiter at 5200. I'll double check to make sure.

Yeah no need to raise the rev limiter. Maybe not in the VVT, but I would have loved my truck to shift at 5200 lol. My truck used to shift at 5500 at the track, and those last few hundred RPM I had about as much power a 90 Honda Civic
Any ideas on how I can lock the truck in 3rd gear and floor it without DS? I'd love to get a low end reading but I'm not sure it's possible in an automatic?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts